Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Forum News > Feedback, Suggestions and help!
Donate! Join Today

Feedback, Suggestions and help! Do you need any help with the forum? Do you like what you see? Do you want more sections? Any ideas to improve the forum welcome. Any problems please report here as well.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-08-2003, 17:02   #16
Zoo

Post Re: Last 10 messages

Quote:
Last x messages or topics ?
Last x messages AND last x topics   8)
Zoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 19-08-2003, 17:06   #17
Junior Member+

No its not - check again!! ;D
flopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2003, 17:26   #18
Zoo

Quote:
No its not - check again!! ;D
hehe - code is finished  ;D
Old 19-08-2003, 17:34   #19
Caz
God Member

Now XX last topics, but not XX posts, Zoo! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I am not young enough to know everything.
- Oscar Wilde
Caz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2003, 17:50   #20
Zoo

Quote:
Now XX last topics, but not XX posts, Zoo! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
again: code modify is finished.
Adaptation into this forum it's none of my business  ;D
Old 19-08-2003, 21:12   #21
Forum Admin

It is now done. Big thanks to Zoo who sorted the software out for me(I messed it up, and I even have the perl cookbook to refer to). He deserves an applaud for that!

Old 19-08-2003, 22:30   #22
I am Banned

perl cookbook.. is that in e- format? I have all the orielly books on a cd somewhere

easier to search keywords
HarryX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2003, 23:15   #23
Forum Admin

not e format, got the real thing, and its sister book programming perl.  Would love a cd with them on though - much quicker to search through!!!  Just out of interest, what is your most referenced to book at the moment? Or do you just use the web?
Old 19-08-2003, 23:24   #24
I am Banned

Had a quick glance. cant see it unless my lad has taken it... Wil see if I can find it tommorow..

Real books?  The most used one.. very used is

MySQL by Paul DuBois.. Has a very good index at the back. Highly reccomended from someone who isnt a big book fan

Also have a decent PHP Programming book but rarely use it now..  Proffesional PHP Programming from WROX...Use web or my own collection of notes and routines...

But no matter how long I use MySQL I still revert back to the book now and then

I ahve Oriellys Learning UNIX on hand in case I need to navigate the server in SSH... I hate UNIX... like going back in time to pre gui computers
Old 19-08-2003, 23:39   #25
Forum Admin

Haven't really got into PHP and MySQL yet - got one database running on this server with a couple of things in to play with. Looks like a good book(checked amazon), and obviously MySQL is the way forwards.  
Old 19-08-2003, 23:52   #26
I am Banned

MySQL or databases in general .. I used to think would be a bore and useless.. But since I started working wiht them its amazing the amount of options it opens up.. I recently made the accy stan site and its just about all database driven..

For example on the front page is a last game and next game.... when the webmaster goes into a control panel and enters the score for the last match played.. the front page auto updates everyhting based on the info that the last match has been played... finds the next game by date and enters that as the next one.. all the info for that is in the DB

The same info is used for the links on the bottom left... there is no links page.. you click a team and all the data is retrived from the database and displayed on the fly..

www.awads.co.uk another of mine.. all database driven and all controlled from a CP by someone who knows little about html..they just use forms in the CP

All possible through databases.. relational databases blah blah and real easy to learn

Theres a difference betwen a web designer and a programmer.. I cant design for toffeee.. peope who design use programmes like dreamweaver... programmes like that cant do what only hands on programming can... Programmers will always earn more than designers... Any fool with a computer can make a web site... but to make it live and interactive takes programming
Old 19-08-2003, 23:57   #27
I am Banned

Nothing wrong with perl.. But I now only use it for backing up and maintaining the scripts I have running out there on the web. Some are years old and either too intricate to replace or always on...All new projects now are done with PHP.. far easier and cleaner than using the CGI

There are things Perl is better for but thats mostly offline / command line stuff.. for web applications I find PHP much better than Perl..Shame because perl was a pain to learn
Old 20-08-2003, 04:57   #28
Forum Admin

I've done relational databases in microsoft access, but not used MySQL. Never had a reason to as the programming I do for a living is completely different to web programming. I'm getting into it now though because I enjoy the web - Only problem is I find it hard to fit all my hobbies in and find myself doing stupid things like programming mods to this site at 5 in the morning!
Old 20-08-2003, 10:17   #29
Caz
God Member

[quote author=Forum Admin link=board=feedback;num=1057753653;start=0#10 date=08/19/03 at 10:12:21]I'm looking into changing it to last 20 posts instead of topics. [/quote]

Nice one Admin, it's absolutely brilliant now!!

I am not young enough to know everything.
- Oscar Wilde
Caz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2003, 10:42   #30
I am Banned

If you have designed databases up to relational then it should hold no fears for you. Its a bit more hands on with more emphasis on permisions and what perm to give and what access allowed (localhost or )

I used to make games.. first as hobby with small commercial success... then got paid work making games for a web company who supply online gaming to ISPs ect But when I got into Perl people started throwing money at me even while learning and so I went down that road and never looked back

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..