Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2005, 18:45   #16
God Member

Re: Katrina- Aftermath

This is a terrible catastrophe and my heart goes out to those who are caught up in the middle of it. I cannot imagine being part of a report I have just read, where a mother has to explain to her evacuated children that the lives they once led and took for granted were now over, but although they had lost everything they could take heart and be thankful that they were at least all together!

However, being something of a cynic, and at the risk of incurring the wrath of our American members, it does occur to me to wonder about the adviseability of building a city six feet below mean sea level. Especially in an area as prone to devastation by hurricanes as are the gulf states. Surely, anyone with a grain of sense can see that the writing has been on the wall for New Orleans for quite some time? Is there perhaps just a shade of arrogance here in thinking that something with the energy equivalent of 100 nuclear bombs (approx.) would not dare to turn up on their doorstep? Or that we are so technologically sophisticated we can deal with anything that nature cares to chuck at us.

The same is true of other cities though; San Francisco and Naples spring readily to mind. What is it about the nature of human beings that makes them congregate around such obviously dangerous areas?

Perhaps one good thing which might come out of this tragedy is the realisation that we mess around with nature at our peril, and that now might be a good time to start repairing some of the damage our selfish species has caused. I am not overly optimistic though.
Old 01-09-2005, 18:50   #17
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazf
Thanks for your thoughts T and yes if it had turned right while it was steaming up the Gulf of Mexico I may not be writing this now. I was just watching the news and they mentioned that the British were sending a team from International Rescue so people are rallying around.
really glad to hear we are sending a team out,was no mention on our news,and agree with what tealeaf says, and hope you and john keep safe.
Old 01-09-2005, 19:16   #18
Beacon of light

My heart goes out to the people of the Southern States of America that have been affected by this terrible natural disaster. How sad it is to see the old, the weak and the vulnerable suffering even more. It must be devastating to lose your property, however poor it may be......but to try to hang on to someone you love and find them swept away by the flood water doesn't bear thinking about.
Samael may learn some compassion as he gets older and has more experience of life......until then Samael I respectfully advise you think before you comment.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 19:31   #19
God Member

As it is unfortunately still hurricane season out there then there is a high posibility of more misery. They clean up the effects of one storm only to be hit by another and as we cannot control nature we will see more death injury and suffering. It is something that we will never get used to nor be able to ignore, the urge to help is the one never changing part of human nature that will always win through along with not olowing such disasters to grind us down.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 19:43   #20
Give, give, give member

[QUOTE=Acrylic-bob]
What is it about the nature of human beings that makes them congregate around such obviously dangerous areas?

Economics.

Towns and cities have been built in the most disadvantaged positions because of the economic benefits throughout history.

Would you suggest that the whole of East Anglia and the Netherlands be moved to higher ground as well as New Orleans?

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 20:10   #21

[QUOTE=garinda]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob
What is it about the nature of human beings that makes them congregate around such obviously dangerous areas?

Economics.

Towns and cities have been built in the most disadvantaged positions because of the economic benefits throughout history.

Would you suggest that the whole of East Anglia and the Netherlands be moved to higher ground as well as New Orleans?
You are right of course, towns were traditionally built on rivers, both for transport and drinking facilities. Mighty old London is prone to flooding, hence the Thames barrier. But East Anglia and the Netherlands are much larger areas than New Orleans and land is at a premium in both Holland and England and neither of these lands are prone to hurricanes. There's plenty of land out here to build on without building below sea level. It was indeed, as AB says, not the brightest of moves. It is enclosed on three sides by water and that coast suffers badly from hurricanes. It really doesn't make a lot of sense.

JohnW

Last edited by JohnW; 01-09-2005 at 20:14.
JohnW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 20:18   #22
God Member

It would not mater how good the defences are because the "big one" will always get through. The Dutch have had centuries of practice at building defences but still get caught out. As the reclaimed land is so fertile then man will always try his luck to make a buck. London may have the Thames barrier but thats no guarantee against flooding as there are still the feeder rivers.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 01-09-2005, 20:40   #23
God Member

I'm glad to hear that aid is being sent, I thought it was strange that nothing had been reported on UK news, its really heartbreaking to see these people old and young and feeling powerless to help. I think its for us to comprehend the enormity of the situation.
grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 22:22   #24
God Member

This may sound really cheesy but will say it anyway....

God Bless America

I hope the devestation we have seen over the past few days is soon cleared and those that have lost can begin to mourn. Lets just hope we will never see the likes of it again, although that is highly unlikely.

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 22:53   #25
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by harwood red
This may sound really cheesy but will say it anyway....

God Bless America

I hope the devestation we have seen over the past few days is soon cleared and those that have lost can begin to mourn. Lets just hope we will never see the likes of it again, although that is highly unlikely.
your right red it does sound CHEESY= agree entirely though.
Old 02-09-2005, 07:32   #26
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

It's heartbreaking to watch footage of this disaster and I am glad that aid is getting through. The news here seems to be concentrating on people looting today. These people now have nothing, no food, no clean water, no clothing, no medications. If looting is the thing to do in order to preserve the lives of themselves and their families then it has to be done. I know that some people will always take advantage of a disaster of this magnitude in order to loot and capitalise from the chaos, but I believe that the vast majority are merely trying to stay alive. It's like watching footage from a third world country at the moment and I do hope that the situation improves soon....

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 07:32   #27
Super Moderator

Myself and Mrs H watched the unfolding news with great sadness. We loved the city when we went there 3 years ago and always talked about going back again one day.

However, questions have to be asked about the effectiveness of the relief operation. Why, 3-4 days after the disaster, are people still stranded in the city without food and drinking water? If the US can organise an army to be sent to the other side of the world, surely they can mount a rescue operation for thier own people more rapidly than this?
Old 02-09-2005, 14:32   #28
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris
Myself and Mrs H watched the unfolding news with great sadness. We loved the city when we went there 3 years ago and always talked about going back again one day.

However, questions have to be asked about the effectiveness of the relief operation. Why, 3-4 days after the disaster, are people still stranded in the city without food and drinking water? If the US can organise an army to be sent to the other side of the world, surely they can mount a rescue operation for thier own people more rapidly than this?
Federal disaster declarations blanketed 90,000 square miles of the United States — an area almost as large as the United Kingdom. Death estimates still ranged in the thousands, with countless people missing, including rhythm and blues legend Fats Domino. The 77-year-old singer-pianist, whose real name is Antoine Domino, lives in New Orleans' low-lying, flooded Ninth Ward. Estimates of the damage reached $50 billion, by far the highest ever associated with a U.S. natural disaster.
Its now time for the blame and it will start at the top, FEMA, Homeland sercurity,Red Cross and of course the Police chief and Rescue crews they had a few days notice and still got caught off guard. (sound like when it snows in England) Facing blistering criticism for his administration's response to Hurricane Katrina, U.S. President George W. Bush admitted "results are not acceptable" and pledged to bolster relief efforts with a personal trip to the Gulf Coast.
Speaking on White House grounds just before boarding his presidential helicopter, Marine One, Bush stopped defending his administration's response and for the first time criticized it.
"We'll get on top of this situation," Bush said before he left to tour the disaster zone, "and we're going to help the people that need help."
So hopefully help is on its way, some of the pictures just make you want to do something no matter how little.

Bazf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 14:48   #29
God Member

I hope they have learned some lessons, because they may well need them very, very soon. Look whats coming in from directly east of Cuba:

http://www.ghcc.msfc.nasa.gov/GOES/goeseasthurr.html
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 15:02   #30
God Member

Thats the last thing that area needs is another dose of misery and destuction my heart goes out to them poor souls.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..