Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2005, 15:09   #31
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Katrina- Aftermath

lets hope not tealeaf, do you know where thats heading for? i just can,t get my head round the magnitude of this disaster, can,t understand why thousands are still in this situation, can,t understand why theirs been total silence from our own government,i certainly have not heard anything. i know i,m a cynical get but i,m seriously begining to wonder.
Old 02-09-2005, 15:09   #32
God Member

Things are getting to gear for a releif affort the "I tunes music site is asking for donations to the American Red Cross

Our hearts go out to all the victims of Hurricane Katrina American Red Cross The devastation in the wake of Hurricane Katrina is heartbreaking, and our thoughts are with those struggling in the aftermath of this disaster. As victims of this natural disaster are attempting to recover, American Red Cross volunteers have been deployed to the hardest hit areas of Katrina's destruction, supplying hundreds of thousands of victims left homeless with critical necessities. By making a financial gift to Hurricane 2005 Relief, the Red Cross can provide shelter, food, counseling and other assistance to those in need. We urge you to contribute to this worthy cause.

Make A Donation

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 15:23   #33
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman
lets hope not tealeaf, do you know where thats heading for? i.
If you jiggle the amimation on the NASA satalite piccys, you'll get a westward projection passing between Cuba & Florida....but as we know, these things do change direction.

Once again,good luck Bazf & JW.

As far as I am aware, nothing on this latest hurricane as yet been announced by the British media.

Last edited by Tealeaf; 02-09-2005 at 15:25.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 15:55   #34
Senior Member+

http://hurricane.weathercenter.com/

This is the site I use to track them and it has come in useful more then once, only a month to go then its back to normal for Florida.

Bazf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 20:08   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by lettie
The news here seems to be concentrating on people looting today. These people now have nothing, no food, no clean water, no clothing, no medications. If looting is the thing to do in order to preserve the lives of themselves and their families then it has to be done.
Quite agree with Lettie on the looting, i am sure that i would be joining the looters if it meant the difference to me and my family staying alive or perishing. Seen some footage today about diabetics not been able to get the insulin they require, that must be awful. (Which i presume is the same for a lot of other drug dependant illnesses.) Just hope the aid gets through as fast as possible. As Harwood says God Bless America.

Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 21:17   #36
Give, give, give member

The scenes we've seen on television, and have read reports about, are just as distressing as anything we witnessed after the tsunami.

The most frightening thing was how fragile our so called civilised societies are away from anarchy. Seeing people rioting because they are so desperate to escape the Super bowl, and the emergency services being shot at by the people that had looted the gun stores, was truly frightening.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 21:32   #37
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

just read on ceefax that our foreign office say that aid/assistance was offered, but was refused, whats going on? we all know the media/ governments only tell us what they choose, but if this is correct i wonder if the american media have reported this? this emergancy should to me be all hands to the pump- not we can manage, if this is correct i despair.
Old 02-09-2005, 21:34   #38
Senior Member+

Yo all remember last year on Boxing day.America was one of the first to send help.Where is the help when America needs it.
Again i have heard that some countries are scared of helping in case of terrorists attacks.
Old 03-09-2005, 01:25   #39
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman
just read on ceefax that our foreign office say that aid/assistance was offered, but was refused, whats going on? we all know the media/ governments only tell us what they choose, but if this is correct i wonder if the american media have reported this? this emergancy should to me be all hands to the pump- not we can manage, if this is correct i despair.
http://edition.cnn.com/2005/WEATHER/...rld/index.html

Bazf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 01:53   #40
land of hope and glory

Never read a bigger load of bull****e in my life! The yanks new that this disaster was on its way!what have they done ..............get out now! some organised crime outfits decided to stay,if it was a oil rich country how long would it have took the yanks?what a load of bullshi-te.just step back and have a look at yourselves, some little arab country gets run over you are there,kosovo, you are there . your own country kiss my ass nowhere to be seen!

YANK THE ****.**** THE YANK.
staggeringman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 01:56   #41
God Member

I think that is very harsh staggers, when it comes down to it these are peoples lives regardless of which country they live in. THEY are the victims so lets concentrate on them and not get into the tittle tattle about what THE americans may or may not have done. This is where our own human nature comes into play.

I thought it was a good link Bazf, especially regarding sri lanka who are still trying to overcome the tsunami disaster

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 02:07   #42
land of hope and glory

SORRY HARWOOD THE YANKS PUT THE STORM ON OUR SCREENS AT HOME AND THEY KNEW WHAT WAS COMMING!SO WHY ARE THEY NOT PREPARED FOR THIS ? THE ONE AND ONLY ALMIGHTY POWER CANT STOP A BIT OF WATER? beggers belief, 4 days later and they have still done jack sh-ite come on lyndsey whats happening.they can send a task force to any corner of the world, but they cant look after there own?
staggeringman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 06:45   #43

I agree with Staggers America knew the hurricane was coming and ordered the people of New Orleans to leave. Why then did they not provide transport for the hospitals & poor who had no transport of there own so they too could leave? As has been said the bowl they were told to shelter in was not safe. Those with money could leave those who had none were left to fend for themselves. I think it's disgusting that a country as rich as America should leave it's sick and poor to suffer & in many cases die in this way
As for the looters they are only committing a crime if they are taking anything other than food, fluids or medical supplies after all they are just trying to survive
Debbie J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 07:26   #44
Senior Member+

I agree with staggers.Anybody who builds a city that far under sea level is basically asking for trouble.It was in fact then an artifucial tragedy, man made, but then again the Americans seem to thínk that owt like thís will never happen to them.Sometimes i get the feeling they think they are immune to things and nothing and nobody would dare do owt to America.
Old 03-09-2005, 16:23   #45
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by staggeringman
SORRY HARWOOD THE YANKS PUT THE STORM ON OUR SCREENS AT HOME AND THEY KNEW WHAT WAS COMMING!SO WHY ARE THEY NOT PREPARED FOR THIS ? THE ONE AND ONLY ALMIGHTY POWER CANT STOP A BIT OF WATER? beggers belief, 4 days later and they have still done jack sh-ite come on lyndsey whats happening.they can send a task force to any corner of the world, but they cant look after there own?
errrr?? Who's lyndsey????

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..