Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-11-2005, 19:49   #1
Passed away 25-11-09

Conifer Problem

The property next door to mine (actually round the corner on the adjacent road) has a large garden. On the side next to my house there are 4 conifers, each about 30' tall and about 10' from my kitchen and garage but on ground at least 6' higher than my garden as I live half way up a small hill. Every Autumn my garden is carpeted with small brown leaves from these trees and I spend hours sweeping them up, as I have done (again) today. The trees also keep the sun off my back garden in Summer, as they are South of me, and they worry me a bit in gales as if one or more came down they would fall on my house .

The old man who lived there has recently moved and his son has bought it and will move in some time next year. The problem is that I've developed back and hip problems in the last 12 months, that have been diagnosed as arthritis, and the sweeping of the leaves has become difficult. It's very annoying as I'm a keen gardener but I can't do any heavy work any more or the hip goes and the action of sweeping for 2 hours has already left its mark - my thigh muscles have tightened, ominously.

I got on well with the old chap and his late wife and I knew the son when he was a teenager - he's now about 36 - and I don't want to get off on the wrong foot with the lad when he moves in but I think it's time these trees went, if only to save me from being crippled. I've put up with the Autumn mess and the shade for nearly 30 years, I took it in my stride when I was younger and fitter, but it is becoming a problem. I now have to weigh up complaining about the trees and asking for their removal, risking bad feeling, or putting up with them for God alone knows how long and risking my mobility.

Has anyone had a similar problem and, if so, how did you go about solving it?
Accrington Web
Old 13-11-2005, 19:57   #2
God Member

Re: Conifer Problem

Sorry W.E. never had the problem you have but a nice friendly chat might help given that you have arthritis he might be accomodating.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2005, 20:03   #3
Member.

Not perhaps what your looking for but these things are always difficult West Ender, I would think that the best way forward at this time is just to have a pleasant chat with the young man and explain you situation. 9 times out of 10 this approach works well for all concerned especially if they have previously been reasonable people. Try and avoid taking steps that lead to this chap finding out your problem from a third party, this is a sure way of antagonising the situation. The local CAB or Council Advise office will have a printed guide that will explain the legal position in a clear and concise format. Try and avoid people who think they know what their doing and don’t take any action without the law being on your side.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2005, 03:54   #4
Give, give, give member

The government passed a law on the height leylandi trees can grow to. Do a search on Google to find what the height is, I think it is ten foot.
I would check myself but I've just got in and am a little bit tipsy.

Good luck.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2005, 15:28   #5

I'm confused.
You said it was conifers you had a problem with but then complained about them dropping brown leaves.
As far as I know conifers are evergreen and don't drop leaves.

I think you're stumped unless they are leylandi as that's what the new laws are intended to deal with.

Talk nicely to the new guy. You never know he may want shut of them himself.
Old 16-11-2005, 15:49   #6
I am Banned

is anyone esle thinking of gasoline and a lighter ....?
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2005, 16:02   #7
Passed away 25-11-09

Conifers are evergreens but they do lose a certain amount of leaves in the Autumn. Due to the size of these trees that amount is quite a lot.

Chav, they'd make a spectacular bonfire but I think my house would go up with them.

To help tide me over the problem, for now, I'm investing in a cheap garden vacuum.
Old 16-11-2005, 16:40   #8
God Member

You not managed to speak with the owners/neighbours yet then?

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2005, 17:48   #9

As most have already said talk to the new owner, but instead of asking him to take them out altogether ask him to cut them to a reasonable height. You are entitled to cut, prune, remove any bits of the trees which overhang into your garden as long as you give them to the owner. Something to remember if your neighbour is awkward.
Debbie J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2005, 17:53   #10
Give, give, give member

I've been trying to find out the legal height for leylandii conifers, but it appears to matter how far away they are from your house, and how much light they take. Even if he prunes them, they grow 1m per year, so it's a never ending task.
Like Debbie said, have a word with him. You may find he dislikes them just as much as you do.

Old 16-11-2005, 19:05   #11
Junior Member+

Am studying tree surgery at college, so know a bit. The legal height is 2 meters. If talking with the neighbours fails, it is possible to get the local tree officer/council involved. One slight catch. You have to pay - i think - its £500, which if you're complaint is successful you get back, but if it isnt, you lose it. This is meant to act as a bit of a deterrant!!! It is possible to get the height of trees reduced, but Im not sure how much you can chop off without killing the tree. Talk to a tree surgery company about that. They do sometimes give free quotations. Good luck.
thegreenrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2005, 19:12   #12
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreenrover
Am studying tree surgery at college, so know a bit. The legal height is 2 meters. If talking with the neighbours fails, it is possible to get the local tree officer/council involved. One slight catch. You have to pay - i think - its £500, which if you're complaint is successful you get back, but if it isnt, you lose it. This is meant to act as a bit of a deterrant!!! It is possible to get the height of trees reduced, but Im not sure how much you can chop off without killing the tree. Talk to a tree surgery company about that. They do sometimes give free quotations. Good luck.
£500, is a bit much, but if you want a hit-man £200 lol
Old 16-11-2005, 19:16   #13
God Member

Just go out late at night and pour something on the roots, anything you can think of, bleach might do it then sit back and watch it wilt in a few days time

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2005, 19:18   #14
Give, give, give member

In London my neighbour chopped down half my tree when I was on holiday, which was totally in my garden, with no overhang into her paved garden.

The next time I went away she paid the tree surgeon another hundred quid to chop it down completely. When I asked her what her effing problem was, she replied that my tree attracted insects into the neighbourhood.

Silly beech.

Last edited by garinda; 16-11-2005 at 19:20.
Old 16-11-2005, 19:19   #15
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
In London my neighbour chopped down half my tree when I was on holiday, which was toatally in my garden, with no overhang into her paved garden.

The next time I went away she paid the tree surgeon another hundred quid to chop it down completely. When I asked her what her effing problem was, she replied that my tree attracted insects into the neighbourhood.

Silly beech.
LOL, think I would have taken up bee keeping if I lived next door to her

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..