Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-11-2005, 08:04   #1
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Education, Education, erm' Just close them down

Listening to the news on the radio this morning it has been suggested that colleges that don't offer the best education for it's students should be:-
*Improved/have further investment/have better teachers.
*delete all of the above

No, the wise amongst us have decided that they should be closed down, how is that going to improve the situation? After all if they are closed then the students will all somehow have to be found places in the 'better' colleges resulting in overcrowding, lack of resources and an inevitable lowering in standard due to these problems.
The end result will be more colleges offering poorer standards of education and so the spiral would continue until, no more colleges?

We keep being told that there is not enough investment in training for the skills gap that exists in this country, I cannot see how this is going to help!

What we have been promised is Education, Education, Education. For the sake of our young can they please make this a promise that they keep.

Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 15-11-2005, 08:36   #2
God Member

Re: Education, Education, erm' Just close them down

It's insane isn't it? This is at a time when Hyndburn doesn't really have 'A' level provision at all. We should be fighting to get more colleges and bringing the failing ones up to scratch.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2005, 08:39   #3
Senior Member+

Why dont schools do 6th form anymore ?
jimmi5bellies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2005, 08:48   #4
God Member

We in theory could end up with the labourers with degrees. At the end of the day if failing businesses go to the wall then why not a college. Its too easy for them to blame the govenment or local education authorities. The schools In Scotland provide 6th form education and the system here is reckoned to be better than that in England and Wales but thats another argument. The other argument could be that the secondary schools are failing pupils and the college because of the education the students get.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2005, 18:16   #5

Some schools still do 6th form. My son's friend is in the 6th form at Haslingden High School. But saying that i don't know of any others.

Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2005, 18:20   #6
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara
Some schools still do 6th form. My son's friend is in the 6th form at Haslingden High School. But saying that i don't know of any others.
But that's in Rossendale isn't it - we don't have any that do them in Hyndburn!

Old 15-11-2005, 18:51   #7

You're right there Gayle, i was just replying in general to jimmi5bellies in general. Not long ago St Christophers was talking about introducing a 6th form, anybody any idea on that or has it been forgotten.

Old 15-11-2005, 18:51   #8

Oops wrote in general twice, sorry.

Old 15-11-2005, 20:22   #9
God Member

A sixth form would relieve presure on some colleges and as the students know the school might be more comfortable.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 15-11-2005, 20:30   #10
Senior Member+

Does Accrington & Rossendale College not provide A-level facilities, plus GCSE if needed

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
Albert Einstein.

park381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2005, 20:33   #11
God Member

Errmm pass on that aint been near the college in 18 years.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 15-11-2005, 20:40   #12
God Member

It mostly provides vocational courses and degree modules. I don't think it does 'A' levels anymore although it might now do a few as evening courses. I'm pretty sure it doesn't do a sixth form kind of thing.

Old 15-11-2005, 20:54   #13
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle
It mostly provides vocational courses and degree modules. I don't think it does 'A' levels anymore although it might now do a few as evening courses. I'm pretty sure it doesn't do a sixth form kind of thing.
Oh, its a while since I was involved there. The only other one that springs to mind is Habergham Kiddrow Lane that was a true 6th form section, but that in Burnley side

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
Albert Einstein.

park381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2005, 10:10   #14
Senior Member+

To be honest, I started getting worried when the government started talking about the 3 'R's. I didn't know what they were talking about, and eventually had someone spell it out to me (pardon the pun).

vorlon24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2005, 10:36   #15
God Member

The lack of sixth form/A levels in Hyndburn means that students have to travel outside of the area to continue their education. They then get more accustomed to travelling outside of the area for other things - shopping, clubbing etc. Shops and clubs in Hyndburn suffer and close! The students then are more amenable to going outside of the area for further education, degrees etc and that's how the area loses all it's bright young things and at that point business and industry suffers in Hyndburn. It's a knock on effect!

I'm not saying that we should batten down the hatches and shut down the borders to keep all our youth in Hyndburn, I'm just saying that we shouldn't FORCE them in to leaving which is what we are doing now!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..