Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-03-2007, 14:43   #31
God Member

Re: A place in the sun...no chance!

I like reading about Accy, particularly the old stuff. What people seem to be expressing is dissatisfaction with "progress" - like the changes on Broadway - shoved down our throats. Reading about how it used to be - and I firmly believe it was better - is like having a plate of my gran's steak and kidney pudding in a Big Mac world. Ubi Sunt!
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 28-03-2007, 16:42   #32
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by accymel View Post
It must of been the rare beeming smile i wore yesterday
That explains it Mel, next time try wearing some clothes with your smile.

As far as broadway goes

I think it was very dated as it was, it was like walking through a red brick works. It needed modernising. I don't particularly like it now, it is too empty and definitely needs more seating. I suspect the lack of seating is by design to try and stop groups of kids/drunks handing around.
Old 28-03-2007, 17:03   #33
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
That explains it Mel, next time try wearing some clothes with your smile.

As far as broadway goes

I think it was very dated as it was, it was like walking through a red brick works. It needed modernising. I don't particularly like it now, it is too empty and definitely needs more seating. I suspect the lack of seating is by design to try and stop groups of kids/drunks handing around.
Well I prefered sitting in the brick works, than standing in the grit and cement works.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2007, 17:21   #34
Resting in Peace

[QUOTE=Neil;404398 I don't particularly like it now, it is too empty and definitely needs more seating. I suspect the lack of seating is by design to try and stop groups of kids/drunks handing around.[/QUOTE]

Exactly Neil, remember all the people that used to loiter on the planters and loitering is seen as 'anti-social' behaviour. Would suspect that the shop owners pressed the case for no benches to discourage the hoody brigade.

Also the possibility that benches are extra clutter on the street which might not have fitted with the original designers 'vision'. Another point could be that benches could prove difficult for near-sighted/blind people to negotiate and the new Disability Discrimination Act might be relevant here, but all these are just my assumptions.

Agree, is a shame that there aren't more, and when I can eventually afford to retire, would be lovely to loiter on the benches talking to other pensioners and whittle my time away watching the world go by .. in the sun one hopes ...
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2007, 23:10   #35
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Exactly Neil, remember all the people that used to loiter on the planters and loitering is seen as 'anti-social' behaviour. Would suspect that the shop owners pressed the case for no benches to discourage the hoody brigade.
The answer is not to remove the benches, but to get the hoodies into bloody work, and then install more benches for the elderly people, who more than likely have worked their arses off all their lives, and now have nowhere to rest their weary bones whilst shopping in Accrington.

Old 29-03-2007, 11:31   #36
Give, give, give member

Slightly off topic, sorry, but I just came across this.

Winston Churchill gave a speech to 10,000 people on Broadway in 1945.

http://www.accringtonobserver.co.uk/...s_welcome.html

I suspect no matter how many benches were there then, it would be standing room only.

Old 29-03-2007, 13:17   #37
God Member

Cool Re: A place in the sun...no chance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
The answer is not to remove the benches, but to get the hoodies into bloody work, and then install more benches for the elderly people, who more than likely have worked their arses off all their lives, and now have nowhere to rest their weary bones whilst shopping in Accrington.
I'm a little confused ... what are hoodies? Have I missed something? I realize from the discussions that they are not exactly pleasant, whatever they are; and though I have missed something, I'm probably not missing anything.
Old 29-03-2007, 13:23   #38
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Don't forget that in 40 years the elderly will be these hoodies, many of which will never have worked.
Not a nice thought for the future is it?
Old 29-03-2007, 15:00   #39
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
I'm a little confused ... what are hoodies? Have I missed something? I realize from the discussions that they are not exactly pleasant, whatever they are; and though I have missed something, I'm probably not missing anything.
'Hoodies' are young men who wear hooded sports tops, and are seen as an underclass, as many don't seem to work.

David Cameron, the leader of the Conservative party, recently, and famously said we should 'hug a hoodie', as opposed I suppose, to try and avoid them by crossing the road, for fear they are about to mug us.

Old 29-03-2007, 15:01   #40
God Member

there was no one sat on the benches today uncle rindy, so you could of had them all to yourself, you might of got a wet bum but hey ho
Old 29-03-2007, 15:03   #41
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashytart View Post
there was no one sat on the benches today uncle rindy, so you could of had them all to yourself, you might of got a wet bum but hey ho

The way they are designed you'd still get a wet arse four hours after it'd last rained.

Old 29-03-2007, 15:10   #42
God Member

i know, i was looking at them today and they had puddles on um
Old 29-03-2007, 15:15   #43
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashytart View Post
i know, i was looking at them today and they had puddles on um
As long as the puddles are clear, and not yellow, it's usually safe to wipe the seat with a handkerchief, and sit down.

Old 29-03-2007, 15:22   #44
God Member

Smile Re: A place in the sun...no chance!

Quote:
'Hoodies' are young men who wear hooded sports tops, and are seen as an underclass, as many don't seem to work.

David Cameron, the leader of the Conservative party, recently, and famously said we should 'hug a hoodie', as opposed I suppose, to try and avoid them by crossing the road, for fear they are about to mug us.
Ah!!! Punks. Now I get it. Don't hug them, don't cross the road, walk softly and carry a baseball bat. In dull boring Kingston it's safe to walk anywhere.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..