Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-04-2007, 09:05   #16
I am Banned

Re: How should you dress to go out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyfr View Post
Well I went out last Sunday and Thursday in town, wearing the shoes attached in the photo and nobody cared.

Tonight (Saturday) I went out and the bouncers on Bees Knees prevented me from entering along with Shakers. I must add I was wearing a shirt and was with people older than me who were also 'correctly' dressed.

I really don't understand it. If its some attempt to make certain places seem 'upmarket' then they're failing badly because I don't consider either Bees or Shakers to be particularly upmarket.
If it was some attempt to ban trouble makers by banning sports wear (even though the shoes I am wearing are not sports ware) I don't see what use it will do, because the same people are just going to wear shirts and then enter.

The only place I consider to be slightly upmarket so to speak in Accrington, is the Calder, and they had no problem with me entering with those shoes on.

Really rather annoying because nobody cared on other days, and the shoes I wear don't make me a troublesome person.. not that my shoes are even sports gear they're converse but I guess that would take too long to explain.

Thoughts?

Dont like it? Go else where. Thats what they will say. Its not to appear upmarket at all. It as been the "dress code" for years and 99% of people know that.

Last edited by tadah; 15-04-2007 at 09:08.
tadah is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 15-04-2007, 09:08   #17
God Member

I didn't say I didn't like the fact that it wasn't upmarket as you seem to have implied. I'm not a snob.

I simply posted about the annoyance of dress code that seems to have no real meaning.

Last edited by andrewb; 15-04-2007 at 09:10.
andrewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2007, 09:08   #18
God Member

cyfr its always been like that in Accy and in Blackburn too, went down Blackburn wi chav n mi mate the other week and chav went home to change his trainers and put shoes on, its just something thats always been in place
Old 15-04-2007, 09:36   #19
I am Banned

It seemed that way cyfr lad. Its always been like that and thursdays are student night arent they? And students seem to dress like that and i think thats why its relaxed but saturdays when the prices are back up it is thought that students cant afford it so they are not out and so the dress code comes back. That seems to be the case to me. Pretty simple really
Old 15-04-2007, 09:46   #20
God Member

I don't notice cheaper prices anywhere except Bees (£1 pint) but don't go there often anyway, but yes Thursday is student night.

It just seems silly to me, I know that there is a dress code, but I really don't understand why. I could understand if I walked in there with a hoodie on over my head, as it's deemed intimidating and anti-social by a lot of people, and you don't want to affect other customers in the bar, but some converse?
Old 15-04-2007, 09:49   #21
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Neil the picture seems to work fine?
Thats because you are not sat behind a corporate firewall that blocks the picture hosting server that you used.
Old 15-04-2007, 10:37   #22
God Member

Quote:
I don't notice cheaper prices anywhere except Bees (£1 pint) but don't go there often anyway, but yes Thursday is student night.

It just seems silly to me, I know that there is a dress code, but I really don't understand why. I could understand if I walked in there with a hoodie on over my head, as it's deemed intimidating and anti-social by a lot of people, and you don't want to affect other customers in the bar, but some converse?
I do agree with you Cyfr, the judgement should be made on your entire appearance and perhaps more so on how your behaving. It used to be the same with denim but thats been relaxed now.
Old 15-04-2007, 12:16   #23
I am Banned

Shakers is cheaper on a thursday and friday and i think industry as offers on a sat or sun not sure which. And attic is cheap some days im sure of that.
Old 15-04-2007, 12:25   #24
Resting in peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadah View Post
Shakers is cheaper on a thursday and friday and i think industry as offers on a sat or sun not sure which. And attic is cheap some days im sure of that.
Where are Shakers and the Attic tadah? I can get in any of them complete with weapons, large canvas boots and walking stick, maybe they didn't think Cyfr was old enough?
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2007, 12:38   #25
God Member

I've never had that problem Cyfr (because I know most of the doormen in Accy! [don't ask]) but I know you're not alone with this.

I'm afraid it's a case of dressing according to where you want to go. The Attic won't care about converse because as you know it's an indie club, but if you're planning to go Bees or places like that it's best to wear shoes.

I suppose it does seem stupid to have no distinction between converse and nike scally trainers but on the flip side, it's more fair. They don't want to be seen to be turning away one group of people (scallies) and accepting another (converse wearers) when implementing the same rule, so they turn away both.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2007, 13:28   #26
Resident Waffler

The Attic is in Church St Ianto, opposite the Arcade. Dunno about Shakers.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2007, 13:35   #27
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
The Attic is in Church St Ianto, opposite the Arcade. Dunno about Shakers.
The Attic is on Warner St.
Shakers is the part of Warner's Arms on the corner of the street (the dancing part).
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2007, 13:36   #28
I am Banned

The attic is above the arcade and shakers is on the corner of warner st and church st. simple
Old 15-04-2007, 13:37   #29
Resident Waffler

Oh right, the one in the corner arcade building? What's that in Church St then?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2007, 13:47   #30
I am Banned

Here look at this....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg layout.jpg (71.2 KB, 11 views)

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..