Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2007, 06:11   #91
Resident Waffler

Re: gypsy's....again

There are plenty of villages around here. How far are we looking?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-11-2007, 11:23   #92
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
ok..I know a real fat female vicar would not let a black man poke her...but maybe Blazey has a good argument,the present inhabitants of Ossie are not what you would call intelligent human beings..(oh I recall the nights down the Cross and Tinker)..
Erm, excuse me, I'm just a bit offended by that statemetn!!!!

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 11:35   #93
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
ok..I know a real fat female vicar would not let a black man poke her...but maybe Blazey has a good argument,the present inhabitants of Ossie are not what you would call intelligent human beings..(oh I recall the nights down the Cross and Tinker)..
Have you actually taken the time to drive around Accrington and look at the type of people who live there?
Just look at the disgusting state of some of the houses, the back yards and back streets. Have you forgotten that parts of the Blackburn road area were so bad they had to pull it down. All that was caused by the people who lived there.
I can't recall huge areas of Ossy being classed as unfit to live in and being torn down, can you?
Old 05-11-2007, 11:36   #94

Nothing wrong with Ossie.
Old 05-11-2007, 11:37   #95
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
I've never heard Oswaldtwistle being referred to as a village before.
Oswaldtwistle has about half the number of residents as Accrington and covers an area not that much smaller than Accrington.
Old 05-11-2007, 12:56   #96
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Have you actually taken the time to drive around Accrington and look at the type of people who live there?
Just look at the disgusting state of some of the houses, the back yards and back streets. Have you forgotten that parts of the Blackburn road area were so bad they had to pull it down. All that was caused by the people who lived there.
I can't recall huge areas of Ossy being classed as unfit to live in and being torn down, can you?
A sizable portion of the old town was demolished in the seventies, whilst you were cocooned down in the Ribble valley.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 13:26   #97
God Member

The residents in some af the areas off Blackburn Road are still fighting the proposed demolition of their propeties. My sister has been fighting for the last few years and I for one don't blame her. She along with her husband has spent a lot of money upgrading their property only to be informed there is a plan in place to demolish it in the not to distant future. I hope that common sense prevails for once ane they win their fight!!!!
Old 05-11-2007, 13:28   #98
Give, give, give member

Look at all the perfectly good Victorian houses that were demolished in Church. After twenty years the new houses built on the same site were, or are, to be demolished.

Old 05-11-2007, 13:34   #99
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Look at all the perfectly good Victorian houses that were demolished in Church. After twenty years the new houses built on the same site were, or are, to be demolished.
And why is that do you think?

It has nothing to do with with the houses. More a case of lack of maintenance and some of the residents.

Its like this plague of rats in Accy has got nothing at all to do with people throwing their crap everywhere has it? No of course not its all the Councils fault.
Old 05-11-2007, 18:18   #100
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
And why is that do you think?

It has nothing to do with with the houses. More a case of lack of maintenance and some of the residents.

Its like this plague of rats in Accy has got nothing at all to do with people throwing their crap everywhere has it? No of course not its all the Councils fault.
Who mentioned the council?

I didn't.

Just an observation of something that in my opinion was shortsighted, and ultimately uneconomical.

Old 05-11-2007, 19:53   #101
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae Swift View Post
Nothing wrong with Ossie.
I dunno, i've noticed alot of the people I was friends with when I was younger growing up and starting messing around with drug dealers and stuff.

Though to be truthful, the blackburn road area has some really nice old terraced houses that are actually kept in ok condition, but the area around charter street is appauling, and why anyone would fight to keep houses like that up I do not know.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 20:01   #102
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
I dunno, i've noticed alot of the people I was friends with when I was younger growing up and starting messing around with drug dealers and stuff.

Though to be truthful, the blackburn road area has some really nice old terraced houses that are actually kept in ok condition, but the area around charter street is appauling, and why anyone would fight to keep houses like that up I do not know.
Haven't you seen Charter St lately? - there is a small estate of new builds going up financed by Hyndburn Homes - so that means half the street will look better. It replaces those ex council houses that were boarded up ages ago.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 20:04   #103
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Have't you seen Charter St lately? - there is a small estate of new builds going up financed by Hyndburn Homes - so that means half the street will look better. It replaces those ex council houses that were borded up ages ago.
Oh yeh, and hyndburn homes is going to make the area so much better. How long does it takes before those houses are also recked?
You can knock the houses down and build them back up again but it doesnt solve the problem.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 11:59   #104
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
As usual, Garinda is wrong. The houses that were pulled down in the late '70's were in the old Henry/Walmsley/Ernest street area. Unusually, many of these were brick faced and of a very poor 19c construction; few at the time had indoor bath/toilet facilities. These dwellings were certainly of no architectural merit and it was far more cost effective to pull 'em down.

The demolition of some of those replacement houses more recently was simply as part of the Church Gateway improvement plan, although it is somewhat debatable as to whether this exercise should have been carried out in the absence of a fully funded scheme.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 12:20   #105
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
part of the Church Gateway improvement plan
They could do with flattening everything around the Commercial Lights in my opinion. I can't see the Commercial pub ever being used, it is just and eyesore. As are the shops opposite it.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..