Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 31-05-2007, 16:37   #1
Yank in King Art's Court!

The Incredible, Edible Egg? Why not?

In another thread the alleged evils of eggs were discussed. I eat an average of 2 eggs a day for there health benefits. Does the following change any of your minds on eggs?

Brian "chicken farmer" Atkin

Secret Superfoods: Who Knew?

If I had a dollar for every time the conventional wisdom on nutrition has shifted gears, I'd be a rich woman. Remember butter? And how about eggs? First they're evil, now they're our best friends. I've watched the experts flip recommendations on so many foods I've lost count. Some of these foods suffered from bad reputations for years, but are now back on our buddy lists... others were unsung heroes, always good for us but never getting proper credit. I think it is a good idea to periodically revisit some of our cherished beliefs about foods and health, so I spoke with Jonny Bowden, whose recent book, The 150 Healthiest Foods on Earth (Fair Winds Press) has some surprising entries -- and some surprising omissions.

EGGS - GREAT PROTEIN SOURCE

Bowden believes whole eggs are among the finest sources of protein on the planet. "On three of the four methods used by scientists for rating protein quality, eggs score better than milk, beef, whey and soy," he told me. (All four -- milk, beef, whey and soy -- are tied on the other commonly used rating system.) "Whole eggs contain all nine essential amino acids, plus they're loaded with vitamins and nutrients that are excellent for your eyes, brain and heart." Bowden explained that the fear of saturated fat causes people to shun one of the healthiest parts of the egg -- the yolk. "The yolk contains lutein and zeaxanthin, two members of the carotenoid family that are emerging as superstars of eye nutrition. And the yolk is also one of the best sources of choline."
Choline, says Bowden, is a building block for important compounds in the body that help support the heart, brain and liver. "Choline creates betaine, which helps lower homocysteine, a risk factor for heart disease. It's part of a compound called phosphatidylcholine that helps prevent the accumulation of fat and cholesterol in the liver. It's also needed to make acetyl-choline, which is critical for memory and thought." Incidentally, he didn't perceive the amount of cholesterol in whole eggs as a problem. "Virtually every study has shown absolutely no link between eating eggs and heart disease," he told me.

LancYorkYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 31-05-2007, 16:52   #2

Re: The Incredible, Edible Egg? Why not?

yuck yuck how can anyone eat 2 eggs a day i hope youve got your own chickens. if not your giving those poor battery hens a hard time. the eggs cant be good comeing from them
spinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2007, 16:56   #3
Yank in King Art's Court!

Yes Spinner, I do have my own eggs. They are free range and very rich. I guess that does make a big difference on the quality. I will either have a raw one in my afternoon coffee straight from the nest and a hard boilled one later on.

Brian

LancYorkYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2007, 17:03   #4
God Member

If you can chase it down and kill it it must be good ... and all the exercise you get!

I didn't know that hens ran on batteries ... in the US, they probably have the plug in kind.

The surgeon who bypassed my aorta said that one whole egg a day was beneficial, but that overindulgence (I don't think he was talking "2 a day") could lead to problems.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2007, 17:45   #5
God Member

Boiled or scrambled is all I need for eggs or once in a while a bacon and egg decker. Food will allways be promoted demoted on the whim of the day and the latest diet fads. You can taste the difference between free range and convict hens eggs and i dont mind paying that little extra either fo em.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2007, 18:04   #6
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

an eggs an egg!
it come from the same place,
and there good with soliders
Old 31-05-2007, 19:07   #7

I like those clarence court eggs, they are dearer but damn nice!! The yolks are so yellow and tasty....
The Green Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2007, 19:14   #8
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

ive never had different eggs apart from hen ones! am i missing summat ere?
Old 31-05-2007, 19:19   #9
Give, give, give member

Never give hens asparagus or cabbage, because you can taste it in your eggs the next morning.

You can also use egg white if you ever run out of glue, mixed with a little flour.

Washed and crushed egg shells, sprinkled around your plants, keeps slugs and snails away.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2007, 19:24   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by panther View Post
ive never had different eggs apart from hen ones! am i missing summat ere?
Sorry I should have explained.The brand/producer is called Clarence Court, they are in a blue box and the eggs are pastel coloured. Free Range. I think there about £1.60 for six! Well worth it
Old 31-05-2007, 19:25   #11
Resting in Peace

And egg white makes a good face pack.

Thanks for that Brian, didn't know what to make for tea/dinner .. have some in fridge and got a little lion stamped on them Must be a year since I ate one .. is that a date stamp ? around March .. oh, whatever, if they don't smell when cracked, will have an omelette with baked potato and salad.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2007, 19:27   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Never give hens asparagus or cabbage, because you can taste it in your eggs the next morning.
Funny you should say that about asparagus. When I eat it strange things happen to my "waterworks", and im not just talking about the colour!
Old 31-05-2007, 22:11   #13
Accy Goddess

Ewwww Brian raw eggs. Yuk!
Love em boiled, poached or scrambled occasionally, but not fried.
ANNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2007, 22:13   #14
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

eat at least 1 egg a day,love em had 2 today, boiled,fried,poached, in ommlette,bring em on. lol oh n scrambled.
Old 31-05-2007, 22:56   #15
Resident Waffler

We are warned here not to consume raw eggs for fear of salmonella poisoning. It's different if you have your own chickens though.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..