Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-05-2008, 17:11   #1
Senior Member+

pc tubes...

why was it called pc tubes?

crap name for a gaming shop...
Old 23-05-2008, 17:15   #2
God Member

Re: pc tubes...

I presume you mean PV Tubes. It wasn't actually the name given to a gaming shop, the business already existed selling tv spare parts etc.
Old 23-05-2008, 17:28   #3
Senior Member+

PV tubes *L*
so tubes i guess refers to the tv...pv must've been the owner?

why did they shut down?
Old 23-05-2008, 17:47   #4
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by mani View Post
PV tubes *L*
so tubes i guess refers to the tv...pv must've been the owner?

why did they shut down?
The Owner was a guy called Brian Cutnel Mani, his father in law lived opposite me for many years, don't know why they shut down

Last edited by jaysay; 23-05-2008 at 17:49. Reason: error
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2008, 17:52   #5
God Member

if your refering to pv tubes across from the tesco in accy then that buisness originated nearer to town center but i cant think of the name of the street

i went to school with a lad called david wood and his dad if i remember correctly was at one point the owner or joint owner if i am remembering correctly

i remember going in and been amazed by a jpg picture of a ferrari on an amiga system because up until the amiga we only had amstrad , commodore and spectrums and none of them could display a jpg or anything close to one

i do remeber a side door which led to a seperate part of the buisness that sold stuff like tv componments and starter motors for flourecant tubes etc so that would explain the tubes part of the name

maybe p.v stands for polly vinal or somat

lol i just remembered that they used to sell sinclair c5's and had one on display outside for a while
accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2008, 17:54   #6
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
The Owner was a guy called Brian Cutnel Mani, his father in law lived opposite me for many years, don't know why they shut down
Brian was the owner when I knew them ( it's actually Cucknell ). I suppose the development of the throw away age meant tv's weren't fixed as much, although they did used to supply a lot of aerials as well. Not sure why they closed down.
Old 23-05-2008, 18:01   #7
God Member

lol looks like the lad i went to school with was either a liar or the buisness was sold to cucknell or vice versa , i know his dad definatly had somat to do with the place because he always had the latest gear and atualy had acess to a c5 for a while

this was the 80s though it may have changed hands a few times

edit:

beyond caring now its time to go get drunk

Last edited by accyman; 23-05-2008 at 18:04.
accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2008, 18:03   #8
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
Brian was the owner when I knew them ( it's actually Cucknell ). I suppose the development of the throw away age meant tv's weren't fixed as much, although they did used to supply a lot of aerials as well. Not sure why they closed down.
As I've said a few times dave spelling is not my strong suit, as soon as you printed the right name I remembered it. I seem to remember Ben, his wifes father saying something but I can't remember what it was. I knew Brian from back in the late sixties when he played football for Ossy Immanuel, but haven't seen him for years
Old 23-05-2008, 18:08   #9
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
As I've said a few times dave spelling is not my strong suit, as soon as you printed the right name I remembered it. I seem to remember Ben, his wifes father saying something but I can't remember what it was. I knew Brian from back in the late sixties when he played football for Ossy Immanuel, but haven't seen him for years

Wasn't Brians wife called Sheila ? Very much a family business in those days. They had a daughter called Dawn who I remember well, nice girl, not sure if there were any other kids involved. I spoke to Chris, one of the lads who used to work in the shop a couple of years ago, and I may be wrong but I have a vague memory he told me Brian actually sold up and moved away.
Old 23-05-2008, 18:27   #10
I am Banned

PV Tubes was in the old Red Lion Inn on the corner of Abbey St and Black Abbey St, I used the shop quite a lot for electronic components. They sold every thing related to TV, except the television, aerials rigging kits, masts, coax cable, transistors, resistors, capacitors, you name it they had it. The shop marnita where Smiths shoe shop was, is still running they appeared to be part of the same business at one time.

Before PV Tubes moved into the premises, a firm of tyre fitters used the building, had a big tractor tyre outside, bloke got killed there
when a tyre he ws inflating exploded.

Retlaw.

Last edited by Retlaw; 23-05-2008 at 18:31.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2008, 18:28   #11
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Wasn't Brians wife called Sheila ? Very much a family business in those days. They had a daughter called Dawn who I remember well, nice girl, not sure if there were any other kids involved. I spoke to Chris, one of the lads who used to work in the shop a couple of years ago, and I may be wrong but I have a vague memory he told me Brian actually sold up and moved away.
Brian originally worked for Ken Clegg on Bull Bridge.

Fancied him when I was a young teenager, .. mainly because he was a good bopper, and good pull (on the rhythm of course), lived on Monk Street. Went off him when he trapped with my best friend .. LOL. Sorta' worked with his wife when I went back to Hilden .. terrific lady.

Moved up Cumbria.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2008, 18:39   #12
God Member

Posted via Mobile Deviceit was originally on water street back when zx81s where new. A lad i went to school with also worked there. He was called lee braithwaite and moved to america
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2008, 09:24   #13
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Ya dave his wife was called Sheila, she had a sister called Christine who still lives in Ossy, like Kate says they moved away, whether he was still with his wife or not I don't know, Seem to remember Ben, her father, saying they were going through a rough patch at one time, because she stayed with him for a short time, but thats quite a few years ago

Last edited by jaysay; 24-05-2008 at 09:26. Reason: error
Old 24-05-2008, 10:44   #14
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

thats the place that used to be " Marnita" then it was owned by Arnold whose wife had " Ednas" cafe on abbey st, lower than the canine in the 60s, a lovely couple, friends of mine way back, arnold used to sell/hire gaming machines n pin tables etc, when he first opened.
Old 24-05-2008, 11:55   #15
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
thats the place that used to be " Marnita" then it was owned by Arnold whose wife had " Ednas" cafe on abbey st, lower than the canine in the 60s, a lovely couple, friends of mine way back, arnold used to sell/hire gaming machines n pin tables etc, when he first opened.
Can remember it being Marnita cashy from the days when I went to the tech, can remember the cafe as well, used to go in for dinner, always had Spotted Dick for sweet

Last edited by jaysay; 24-05-2008 at 11:56. Reason: error

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..