Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2008, 21:50   #31
God Member

Re: Drug Test? Job Application

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
Perhaps it would be wise to regularly clear old topics of little importance off the forum then rather than causing an inconvenience to the users who don't know all these different rules.

After all, old issues change with time, they don't always stay the same.
I didn't say it was a rule just people being considerate and thinking about how much it is costing for the site. After all unless you donate it is free so a bit of consideration for the person paying for it is polite
Old 07-06-2008, 21:51   #32
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
What timescale would you apply to these 'old' topics ?
Well how long has accyweb been established?

There are some threads which the moderators could easily decide had little value. Old job adverts for example, condensing the help and questions into sticky topics and getting rid of those, removing members off the forum which have been inactive for a certain period.

It's not a case of a set rule for such a thing, it's just common sense if it is costing money. Same with shutting down the post offices (look at my anti-tory idea, oh dear)
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 21:51   #33
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Is there any reason why new threads cant be started on topics previously discussed?
No, except we'd end up with umpteen threads on the same subject.

The moderators usually join them together.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 21:54   #34
God Member

Quote:
Well how long has accyweb been established?

There are some threads which the moderators could easily decide had little value. Old job adverts for example, condensing the help and questions into sticky topics and getting rid of those, removing members off the forum which have been inactive for a certain period.

It's not a case of a set rule for such a thing, it's just common sense if it is costing money. Same with shutting down the post offices (look at my anti-tory idea, oh dear)
The previous discussion on the subject posted on the link was 3 months old, where does that come in your master plan ?
Old 07-06-2008, 21:58   #35
God Member

Quote:
The previous discussion on the subject posted on the link was 3 months old, where does that come in your master plan ?
It's one of them!! Damned if you do... Damned if you don't... there is always one KNOW ALL KNOW NOTHING that will point out there is already a thread about it... But if you bring an old thread back to life some other know all will point out it's an old thread hmmmmm

Miracles do happen!!

slinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 22:02   #36
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
I didn't say it was a rule just people being considerate and thinking about how much it is costing for the site. After all unless you donate it is free so a bit of consideration for the person paying for it is polite
When I was in the army I got in working mens clubs without card.
Some of us are fortunate that we can affiord to donate to the site.
Paying for the site is a massive operation and the finances of the site is an admin responsibility......they do that very well.
Blazey is a student...we have had our ups and down...yes.
Let admin decide who does what.
When she can afford to donate I'm sure she will do so.

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 22:04   #37
God Member

Some issues DO change within three months. We could talk about every single person who gets stabbed in the country in one thread but we just don't do it. We could talk about all political issues in one thread called 'politics' but we dont do that either.

Yes it would be convenient if we did, but sometimes these perceptions of convenience just lead to confusion.

I've had my own student forum before and we managed it quite well, but I changed plans about which uni I was going to so shut it down, so I know that it can be annoying but you just have to think of ways to control it, not expect the users to do it for you.
Old 07-06-2008, 22:07   #38
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
Paying for the site is a massive operation and the finances of the site is an admin responsibility......they do that very well.

If they cared to look they can see I once HAVE donated but unfortunately I couldn't keep up my payments to the site due to having to eat I didn't donate the minimum amount either! I think new ideas are priceless anyway
Old 07-06-2008, 22:07   #39
God Member

Quote:
Did I ask Blazey if she had donated? For that matter I may or may not have made a donation myself that is nothing to do with anyone else. I was just trying to explain why some people search out threads on a topic before starting a new one.
Old 07-06-2008, 22:07   #40
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slinky View Post
It's one of them!! Damned if you do... Damned if you don't... there is always one KNOW ALL KNOW NOTHING that will point out there is already a thread about it... But if you bring an old thread back to life some other know all will point out it's an old thread hmmmmm

Sorry for bringing it up.

It was only a short time ago, not years.

I only mentioned it because I'd posted in the other thread, and I didn't want myself, or others that had posted, to have to repeat what they'd already said.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 22:08   #41
God Member

Quote:
I've had my own student forum before and we managed it quite well, but I changed plans about which uni I was going to so shut it down, so I know that it can be annoying but you just have to think of ways to control it, not expect the users to do it for you.
Hopefully the forum owners will take on board your expertise and make it more efficient then.
Old 07-06-2008, 22:09   #42
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Sorry for bringing it up.

It was only a short time ago, not years.

I only mentioned it because I'd posted in the other thread, and I didn't want myself, or others that had posted, to have to repeat what they'd already said.
Sorry!! that wasn't aimed at anyone in particular!! But it is one of those things... ya never know what is the best way, cos someone will point it out either way you do it.

OK enough... or we'll get out hands slapped for wandering

Miracles do happen!!

slinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 22:09   #43
God Member

Quote:
Hopefully the forum owners will take on board your expertise and make it more efficient then.
I'm not saying I am an expert, but I am just suggesting things that can be done to utilise the space. I don't get any of this sarcasm from Roy about it either, and I don't think he'd knock anyones opinion of things that could be done.
Old 07-06-2008, 22:15   #44
God Member

Quote:
There may come a day Dave when you come off your high tower and contribute without being a smart arse.?

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 22:16   #45
God Member

Quote:
There may come a day Dave when you come off your high tower and contribute without being a smart arse.?
I always think elders should lead by example, you go first and I'll follow suit

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..