Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-06-2008, 10:36   #46
God Member

Re: Council Overspend

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
that tunnel visioned view does you no credit at all, in fact it shows you to be a very weak person,IMHO, who knew what is NOT n important point, its the elected body that should inform people, not the MP. all you are trying to do is deflect the spotlight n i'm willing to bet people see right through you.
Considering I have already said that HBC are in the wrong by not defending them, I don't really see what there is to see through. It would do everyone a world of good if both parties could own up to the mistake.
Old 19-06-2008, 11:26   #47
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
By the way - does anyone know where Pendle St is and why it's had so much work done on it?
Here you go Gayle - Pendle Street, Accrington

It is off Willows Lane, go up Willows lane to the roundabout, straight over it and first left

Last edited by Neil; 19-06-2008 at 11:33.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2008, 11:31   #48
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
Considering I have already said that HBC are in the wrong by not defending them, I don't really see what there is to see through. It would do everyone a world of good if both parties could own up to the mistake.
clutching at straws i see, BOTH parties were not holding the purse strings, ONE party was, thats were the mistake that counts is. so thats what there is to see through, you trying to deflect from the main point of the OVERSPEND. it would do you a world of good to remove yer blinkers.
Old 19-06-2008, 11:35   #49
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Ya cashy but it doesn't help when the govrnment pull the rug out does it

The Government did not pull the rug out. Yes, there was £700k that wasn't given this year - this was a one off payment that happened last year and last year alone - it should not have been assumed that they would get it again.

Yet, even without that £700k - the government actually gave more to HBC this year than last!!!!!

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2008, 11:38   #50
God Member

Personally can't see the problem myself. The overspend will be made up in the council tax next year. As we all know from andrew, we get excellent value for money and therefore the more money we pay the more value we will get. We should count ourselves lucky.
Old 19-06-2008, 11:42   #51
Give, give, give member

Quote:
The Government did not pull the rug out. Yes, there was £700k that wasn't given this year - this was a one off payment that happened last year and last year alone - it should not have been assumed that they would get it again.

Yet, even without that £700k - the government actually gave more to HBC this year than last!!!!!
Perhaps dimwitted lottery/pools winners think they too are going to win the jackpot every year, for the rest of their lives.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2008, 13:04   #52
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Perhaps dimwitted lottery/pools winners think they too are going to win the jackpot every year, for the rest of their lives.
think they do, but thats there personal choice, those dimwits were NOT elected to represent the people of this borough.
Old 19-06-2008, 13:05   #53
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post

Gayle wins the lottery several times every year
Old 19-06-2008, 15:00   #54
God Member

Quote:
Financial year.
The 'excellent' was for the last financial year - May 07 - May 08
Any issues with budget at the moment are related to this financial year - May 08 - May 09 - which we're only two months in to.
I get it now.

Thanks, Gayle.
Old 19-06-2008, 17:17   #55
God Member

I often browse these "council" related threads without comment 'cause it's none of my business and a lot of it I don't understand. But I am curious about this one. For starters, the five or so million dollar shortfall does not seem all that large to be concerned about; it's about half of what Kingston City Council budgets for snow removal. And our snow removal budget could, like last winter, go way over if there is more snow than normal; and none of us get flustered about it. And I am curious about what Hyndburn council actually does, what its responsibilities and powers are. How big is the council budget? Is council responsible for road maintaniance? Who pays for policing? Etc.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2008, 18:16   #56
God Member

Quote:
clutching at straws i see, BOTH parties were not holding the purse strings, ONE party was, thats were the mistake that counts is. so thats what there is to see through, you trying to deflect from the main point of the OVERSPEND. it would do you a world of good to remove yer blinkers.
I don't think I am trying to deflect from it at all. I don't see why you're trying to tar me in this thread when I have already said it is wrong. I am not seeking to defend the Conservatives, the council, or anybody at all. All I said is the electorate have a legitimate reason to complain, not councillors who failed to put forward an alternative budget. Don't see nout wrong with that.

Simply putting it how it is, we'd be in the same mess under the other lot because they didn't do anything different budget wise. Not that this makes it ok. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.
Old 19-06-2008, 18:23   #57
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
I don't think I am trying to deflect from it at all. I don't see why you're trying to tar me in this thread when I have already said it is wrong. I am not seeking to defend the Conservatives, the council, or anybody at all. All I said is the electorate have a legitimate reason to complain, not councillors who failed to put forward an alternative budget. Don't see nout wrong with that.

Simply putting it how it is, we'd be in the same mess under the other lot because they didn't do anything different budget wise. Not that this makes it ok. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.
if disagreeing with you is tarring you then i plead guilty. i am stating fact, who holds the purse strings is guilty no-one else simple as that.
Old 19-06-2008, 18:29   #58
God Member

Quote:
if disagreeing with you is tarring you then i plead guilty. i am stating fact, who holds the purse strings is guilty no-one else simple as that.

Both parties had a chance to get elected the majority in May.

So the Conservatives create a budget in Feb.

The Labour party create no alternative budget.

The Conservatives get the elected majority.

Theres a £2.3million overspend

And you're telling me its all the Conservatives fault because they got the majority. I am telling you it would be no different under Labour - same budget. Where do we disagree?
Old 19-06-2008, 19:26   #59
God Member

There seems to be a confusion of issues here (or maybe I'm naturally in a state of confusion). Is it a question of overspending, or of which political party is in power at the moment?
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2008, 21:03   #60
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
There seems to be a confusion of issues here (or maybe I'm naturally in a state of confusion). Is it a question of overspending, or of which political party is in power at the moment?
not suprised yer confused mate Conservatives are in power, Labour are opposition in hyndburn, Cyfr is trying to make the case that those in power are only as much too blame as the opposition, no wonder yer confused.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..