Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-06-2008, 07:35   #91
God Member

Re: Council Overspend

Actually, the more I've read about this the more it seems like a huge non-story!

The budget is set for X amount, it turns out that they won't get the X amount to be able to spend it so they do some cost cutting before it's spent.

The analogy of going into Asda with £50 and buying goods of £200 is right. All that's happened is that they've got to the second aisle (realised that they're going to spend too much and decided not to put steak and salmon in the trolley). Seems quite a prudent approach to me.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 20-06-2008, 07:42   #92
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
The paper say

I would like to know why any of my Council tax is used to refurbish private properties if that is the case. Improvements grants should come from central Government in my opinion. Maybe someone can explain what it is all about.

Another story in the Observer refers to an arrested murderer from 24 Pendle Street.
Not sure about this but am sure somebody will correct me if I am wrong, doubt very much that council tax money is used for home improvement grants. As I say prepared to be corrected but would imagine some sort of Goverment Grants pay for these.
Old 20-06-2008, 08:31   #93
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
Actually, the more I've read about this the more it seems like a huge non-story!

The budget is set for X amount, it turns out that they won't get the X amount to be able to spend it so they do some cost cutting before it's spent.

The analogy of going into Asda with £50 and buying goods of £200 is right. All that's happened is that they've got to the second aisle (realised that they're going to spend too much and decided not to put steak and salmon in the trolley). Seems quite a prudent approach to me.
That analogy is all well and good but along with basic food stuff, lets hope there's still enough left for toilet roll.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2008, 08:49   #94
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
That analogy is all well and good but along with basic food stuff, lets hope there's still enough left for toilet roll.
We managed quite well with newspaper when we had 'the long drop' loos, but not many of us buy newspapers nowadays do we?

Toilet paper used to be an expensive luxury - we may well be due for hardtimes ahead - I am researching economy tips used during wartime rationing days - watch this space

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2008, 09:56   #95
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post

Well I'll be the first to admit it but, Gayle and myself have not always seen eye to eye, on some things, but I think she this spot on here. The time to make a song and dance about the subject would have been at the end of the financia year if there HAD have been a huge over spend, not now, and I would like to think that the best person to out line this is Joe Mcintyre, the Executive Director for resources, as unlike Cllrs Britcliffe and Jones he has no political points to score
Old 20-06-2008, 10:00   #96
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

thats a refreshing change jaysay, ya mentioned somebody worth listening to.
Old 20-06-2008, 10:08   #97
God Member

All good and well but this is a predicted overspend for this financial year. Things aren't looking to great if they can predict such a big overspend at this early stage of the present financial year. Surely it works like any budget and there can be any amount of unexpected costs that may occur so it could be a lot more than predicted.
Old 20-06-2008, 22:13   #98
Senior Member+

Posted via Mobile Device

You go into ASDA spend £50, go sit in the cafe and think about how you can pull the wool over the eyes of the people you promised to spend the other £150 on.
g jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2008, 22:17   #99
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by g jones View Post
Posted via Mobile Device

You go into ASDA spend £50, go sit in the cafe and think about how you can pull the wool over the eyes of the people you promised to spend the other £150 on.
I think you should be reading and responding to the thread Support for Migrants than carrying on with this nonsense?

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2008, 22:25   #100
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by g jones View Post
Posted via Mobile Device

Who is that directed at?
Old 21-06-2008, 00:01   #101
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
While you are about Graham what is all this money being spent on Pendle Street?
It is a lot of cash after all. Are these private or Council/HH houses?
Come to think of it while I am asking questions, do HBC own any houses anymore or did all the stock transfer to HH?
The estimated cost for the renovation of these few houses has now risen from £1.8 to £3 million pounds.

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk...demolished.php

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2008, 00:07   #102
God Member

So they are having a rethink about Pendle St - maybe demolition instead

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2008, 00:11   #103
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
So they are having a rethink about Pendle St - maybe demolition instead
Yep but surely they must have had an idea of the proposed costs??
Old 21-06-2008, 00:15   #104

At £130k per house ( 27 thru 71, 23 properties )

What would be the most cost effective ? Repair or transfer these people to new eco friendly properties?
Old 21-06-2008, 00:31   #105
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnyboy View Post
At £130k per house ( 27 thru 71, 23 properties )

What would be the most cost effective ? Repair or transfer these people to new eco friendly properties?
If it was viable when first proposed why not now?? Not really bothered one way or another, well yes I am because it seems to be a u-turn on what was said to the home owners/tenants.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..