Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2008, 21:53   #16
Apprentice Geriatric

Exclamation Re: Should kids go to jail?

Quote:
Originally Posted by panther View Post
Under-14s should not be held responsible for their actions and should never be locked up in children’s homes or young offender institutions, according to The Prison Reform Trust.
Their report calls for the criminal responsibility age to be raised from 10 to 14, claiming incarceration doesnt deter under-14s, since 75% of them reoffend within a year of release. Do you agree?
Yet another crackpot suggestion by an organisation that should know better.

If anything the age should be lowered to 8 years of age.

Instead of coming up with silly ideas and trying to hide behind “incarceration doesn’t deter under-14s, since 75% of them re-offend within a year of release”, they should be trying to figure out WHY THEY RE-OFFEND and put in place a scheme to put them back on the straight and narrow.
Old 02-07-2008, 07:48   #17
Beacon of light

Re: Should kids go to jail?

I think we know why they re-offend...it is because the punishment doesn't actually seem like punishment........when it does feel like punishment to them perhaps it will deter them from criminal activity in the future.

They are treated like they are precious. They should be made to work for the people they have victimised......and if they make a mess of whatever they are asked to do they should be made to repeat it until they get it right...with little rest in between.

They should not be treated to trips to safari parks and such like, or given iPods......since when has rewarding bad behaviour ever been a good idea???????
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 09:06   #18
Resting in Peace

I have a couple of mates who are JPs, and they were talking one night about going on a tour of a juvenile facility, I think its call Lancaster Farm, bu I'm not sure, they were saying it did not surprise them at all that these kids wanted to go back into this facility as it was like a Butlins Holiday Camp. A lot of these youngsers have such an awful home life that 6 months in there is great for them, does that not tell us that the way forward is to hit the parents of these young offenders hard, may just have a better effect than sending their chldren for a free holiday
Old 02-07-2008, 09:26   #19
Senior Member+

My cousin went into Lancaster farm and it worked on him... He was sent there because he stabbed someone... he stole, he was violent and thought he could get away with it.. he went to Lancaster Farm and came out completely different.. he is now a fitness instructer and has a little one on the way

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 10:03   #20

I do agree with prisson for serias crimes, but sendin them to prison for shop liftin etc is a bit harsh, I quoted the wrong person I was ment to quote the boot camp post, sorry, I'm usein a libary computer at the moment an they keep playin up.
Nori Brick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 10:17   #21
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

Anyone who offends, especially violent crimes whatever the age should be sent down!
Kids should know whats right from wrong, and in the end as said many times before, it is down to the parents, to make sure that your kids know respect....these days many parents dont give a **** what their kids do or say, so IMO any child especially under the age of 16 who commit such crimes, their parents should be made to pay the same penalty!!

A child who is brought up in a decent environment would not dream of going out and stabbing someone nor doing any other crime,, but if that child is brought up the opposite way, that child does not know respect or right and wrong, so again parents are to blame.

lock em all up!!
Old 02-07-2008, 10:26   #22

thats not allways the case, I was brought up in a good home so where my brothers an sister but we still whent out an broke the law.
Old 02-07-2008, 10:34   #23
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Anyone who offends, especially violent crimes whatever the age should be sent down!
Kids should know whats right from wrong, and in the end as said many times before, it is down to the parents, to make sure that your kids know respect....these days many parents dont give a **** what their kids do or say, so IMO any child especially under the age of 16 who commit such crimes, their parents should be made to pay the same penalty!!

A child who is brought up in a decent environment would not dream of going out and stabbing someone nor doing any other crime,, but if that child is brought up the opposite way, that child does not know respect or right and wrong, so again parents are to blame.

lock em all up!!
Fully agree with everything you say panther, I am still in contact with a lot of kids who I grew up with and to my knowledge none of them have been in bother with the law, save motoring offences, all except one that is and his father was in and out of the nick when we were young and his son was always in bother with the police, which I think proves everything, its how your brought up
Old 02-07-2008, 10:35   #24
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nori Brick View Post
thats not allways the case, I was brought up in a good home so where my brothers an sister but we still whent out an broke the law.
why?, what made ya do it?
Old 02-07-2008, 11:02   #25

we did some of it just for the hell of it, but most of it was to rebel against our mum. I'm not proud of my criminal record now. but when I was a kid I ware everything the police threw at me like a badge and so did my brothers an my sister.
Old 02-07-2008, 11:16   #26
Beacon of light

Nori, I was the one who quoted about a boot camp...and i'm still not sure if you are for the idea or not. Maybe I'm thick !
Old 02-07-2008, 11:48   #27
Apprentice Geriatric

Unhappy Re: Should kids go to jail?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I think we know why they re-offend...it is because the punishment doesn't actually seem like punishment........when it does feel like punishment to them perhaps it will deter them from criminal activity in the future.

They are treated like they are precious. They should be made to work for the people they have victimised......and if they make a mess of whatever they are asked to do they should be made to repeat it until they get it right...with little rest in between.

They should not be treated to trips to safari parks and such like, or given iPods......since when has rewarding bad behaviour ever been a good idea???????
You know why they re-offend. I know why they re-offend. Most people know why they re-offend.

Sadly the Prison Reform Trust and the government do not and it is high time that they did.
Old 02-07-2008, 11:57   #28
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:

lock em all up!!
not always the case panther, many instances yes upbringing has a large bearing, my nephew is from a decent home, yet years ago he stabbed someone, was rightfully sent down fer it, turned out he aint wired up right, after clinical tests, how do you ya blame parents fer that?
Old 02-07-2008, 14:01   #29
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
You know why they re-offend. I know why they re-offend. Most people know why they re-offend.

Sadly the Prison Reform Trust and the government do not and it is high time that they did.
If someone like me can work it out...then why can't they???.....after all it isn't rocket science.

Oh silly me.....! I realise now, it is that not so common 'common sense'.
Old 02-07-2008, 14:17   #30

I was a right little sod when I was little.I knocked on doors. I pinched milk off doorsteps. I sneaked in the pictures without paying.I twagged off school.I pulled the girls pigtails.I picked the crust off a loaf that I ws supposed to be bringing home from the shop.I was completely out of control. So how did I grow up to be a responsile adult who was never in trouble with the police? Was I just lucky or did my parents get a grip on their wayward son? I suspect it was my Mum and Dad Thank you both.
Jim Procter is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..