Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-08-2008, 23:05   #1

Carers require more financial help ?

I didn’t particularly want to start this thread due to being a carer I guess my viewpoint may be a bit biased, but what are your views. I only raise the issue as it has been on the News today - BBC

Should carers be given more than £50.55 per week Carers Allowance ? Worth their weight in gold ?

Perhaps you see it as a family affair thing. These people are just doing what should be expected of them. Why mount an even greater burden on the taxpayer ?
Old 29-08-2008, 23:11   #2
God Member

Re: Carers require more financial help ?

Yes carers should be given more than £50.55 a week, they are saving this country billions besides quite often losing their own identity on the way. Where would this country be without the silent minority? Just to add I don't think carers will ever get a decent standard of living becvause the very fact that they are caring for loved ones prevents them from making proper protests. This is another ploy IMO, they are seen to be paying lip service but will never actually rectify things

Last edited by BERNADETTE; 29-08-2008 at 23:17.
BERNADETTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2008, 23:19   #3
God Member

I agree, most carers have had to give up their jobs to care for a family member and the amount they receive is an insult.
Old 29-08-2008, 23:26   #4
God Member

Yes they should be given more.. but thats just for starters.. I know of old people that care for their partners 24/7 but don't get a penny because of the regulations..some may say it's just a part of family life that you look after your own.. but it puts extra strain on pensioners...I suspect that because the system is sometimes abused by people who don't really care for the people they cliam for, it is a benefit that is put on the back burner, i.e not seen as a a big issue by any Goverment.. but that is no reason for it to be as low as it is.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2008, 23:29   #5
God Member

Mancie you probably hit the nail on the head there, the system has been and is being abused so much so that genuine cases lose out
Old 29-08-2008, 23:35   #6
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
Mancie you probably hit the nail on the head there, the system has been and is being abused so much so that genuine cases lose out
Yes but it's no excuse for paying so little simply because some people "know they're way" around the benefits system.
Old 29-08-2008, 23:37   #7

Just as an addition. Carers are allowed to earn up to £95 per week or £411.66 per month on top of the allowance ( don’t know why there is a discrepancy in the weekly/monthly amounts ) not a penny more tho. There are no benefits allowed akin to those if you are on Jobseekers allowance.. The Carers Allowance people do pay your National Insurance stamp though.

Trying to get a little work to earn the £95 is almost impossible. The assumption prospective employers seem to make is that you will be forever having time off tending family commitments. You can hardly blame them.
Old 29-08-2008, 23:41   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
Yes but it's no excuse for paying so little simply because some people "know they're way" around the benefits system.
I agree but that is how things pan out. Quite honestly believe that this is just paying lip service to get votes. Hope I'm wrong but that is just my opinion
Old 30-08-2008, 00:25   #9
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnyboy View Post
Just as an addition. Carers are allowed to earn up to £95 per week or £411.66 per month on top of the allowance ( don’t know why there is a discrepancy in the weekly/monthly amounts )
There is not a discrepancy

£95 per week multiplied by 52 weeks divided by 12 months = £411.66 per month
Old 30-08-2008, 00:30   #10
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnyboy View Post
Just as an addition. Carers are allowed to earn up to £95 per week or £411.66 per month on top of the allowance ( don’t know why there is a discrepancy in the weekly/monthly amounts ) not a penny more tho. There are no benefits allowed akin to those if you are on Jobseekers allowance.. The Carers Allowance people do pay your National Insurance stamp though.
My parents (pensioners) get nowt..my dad needs constant attention and they did apply for cares alowance but were told because they don't claim other benefits they get nothing..crazy world.
Old 30-08-2008, 00:55   #11
God Member

Quote:
My parents (pensioners) get nowt..my dad needs constant attention and they did apply for cares alowance but were told because they don't claim other benefits they get nothing..crazy world.
So very true, your Mum is doing the job of a carer for Zilch. It is beyond a joke because if your Mum wasn't there how much would it cost?? Carers are saving this country and tax payers billions of pounds each year!!!
Old 30-08-2008, 01:34   #12
God Member

Quote:
So very true, your Mum is doing the job of a carer for Zilch. It is beyond a joke because if your Mum wasn't there how much would it cost?? Carers are saving this country and tax payers billions of pounds each year!!!
better get ready for the real squeeze from the next goverment
Old 30-08-2008, 01:40   #13
God Member

Quote:
better get ready for the real squeeze from the next goverment
Doesn't matter who is in power, none of them care about the ordinary folk on the street!!
Old 30-08-2008, 01:44   #14
God Member

Quote:
Doesn't matter who is in power, none of them care about the ordinary folk on the street!!
Oh yes it does matter..I have a rough outlook of the next Goverment and it dosent bear well for some people.. worse than these present times... the less well off of the nation are always more likley to get the brunt off a failing economy.. the better off may be put in a situation were they have to make real changes..and god forbid lose they're jobs.. that dose not help anyone.. but in the end it will be the one parent families ( the one parent families that are almost half of our nation) and the less well off that take the kicking!

Last edited by Mancie; 30-08-2008 at 01:51.
Old 30-08-2008, 07:53   #15

Yes, carers should be paid a decent rate as they are saving this coutry millions if not billions of pounds per year.
The reality however is that many people can not get accepted as carers as they have made it so difficult to fulfill the criteria.
polly is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..