Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-10-2008, 16:10   #16
Resting in Peace

Re: TV licence fee

We've got to remember that besides the 50 journos that already work for the Beeb over the pond, they are sending over another 100 to cover the Presidential elections next week, why. don't know about anybody else but I'm fed up with the whole circus that is American politics, our system may not be to every ones liking, but I'd sooner have ours than theirs any day
Old 29-10-2008, 17:24   #17
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: TV licence fee

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Perhaps basic mathematics has moved on somewhat, since it was taught using slates and chalk.

It's common practice, for ease of reading, that figures above .5 are rounded up, and below that are rounded down to the nearest whole number.

Thus the findings, of this, and other more recent polls, are accurate.
Know-it-all garinda was privy to the actual figures and jumps to the conclusion that some of them have been rounded up or down.

By the way round up occurs at 0.5 and above not above 0.5.
Old 29-10-2008, 17:25   #18

i think the fee should be scrapped, i've never had to pay it, but i'd rather read the paper, do you have to have a license to listen to the radio?
Old 29-10-2008, 17:26   #19
Apprentice Geriatric

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
We've got to remember that besides the 50 journos that already work for the Beeb over the pond, they are sending over another 100 to cover the Presidential elections next week, why. don't know about anybody else but I'm fed up with the whole circus that is American politics, our system may not be to every ones liking, but I'd sooner have ours than theirs any day
And that is a case against the BBC spending not the TV licence.
Old 29-10-2008, 17:40   #20
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
Who receive their funding from us, the licence payers.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2008, 09:18   #21
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Now hang on a minute here, you mean I've got to the age of 62 and haven't realised that the BBC don't get their funding from the licence fee, I'm so shocked I'm going to have a stiff whiskey to calm me down
Old 30-10-2008, 09:44   #22
Apprentice Geriatric

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Who receive their funding from us, the licence payers.
The BBC is funded by the TAXPAYER, which will also include licence payers and those who do not buy a TV licence. It also includes tourists who buy goods and services here.

Every few years the BBC negotiates with the government what funding it will receive for the next few years.
Old 30-10-2008, 09:54   #23
God Member

The BBC is funded directly by the licence fee. BBC World Service is funded by a government grant.
Old 30-10-2008, 10:49   #24
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
The BBC is funded directly by the licence fee. BBC World Service is funded by a government grant.
I'm sure last time a watched BBC world in Spain they showed adverts as well.

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2008, 12:10   #25
Apprentice Geriatric

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
Congratulations on being made “Administrator”.

Although there is a link between the TV licence and BBC funding, BBC funding is not dependant on how many licences are sold. The funding is set by the government and is guaranteed by Royal Charter and fixed at regular and infrequent intervals. The government off-sets this expenditure by gathering the TV licence fee.

The BBC is charged with the task of issuing the TV licence, collecting the fees and keeping track of who does and does not have a TV licence when they should have one to conform with the law. A separate department under the BBC umbrella carries out this task.

The annual BBC funding is currently some £4.3 billion. The current colour TV licence is £139.50. To generate £4.3 billion by the licence fee alone, some 31 million TV licences would have to be sold.

With a population of some 60 million in the UK there are probably in the region of 15 million domestic properties, although 10 million is a more likely figure. Chuck in a few more million for pubs, clubs, hotels etc and even with 20 million domestic properties it still wouldn’t reach 31 million.

The BBC generates extra revenue by the sale of the programmes that it makes and pays tax on the proceeds.

If by some major miracle everyone decided not to renew their TV licence it would not affect the BBC funding at all until the next revue. Similarly if the BBC suddenly ceased to exist we would still be required to have a TV licence.
Old 30-10-2008, 17:07   #26
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Now hang on a minute here, you mean I've got to the age of 62 and haven't realised that the BBC don't get their funding from the licence fee, I'm so shocked I'm going to have a stiff whiskey to calm me down
Why not have a red wine instead
Old 31-10-2008, 07:52   #27
Full Member+

In the early days, the licence fee was to pay for and maintain the numerous transmitters for both radio & TV and to fund the operation of a TV channel and several radio services.

Over the years the BBC has taken on a life of its own and the small licence fee has had to be increased substantially to pay for the many additional services it now offers. Just how they justify exhorbitant contracts to tempt 'popular' celebs on to the network is a major issue. Recent events have shown that the BBC is run by indecisive management and only public pressure forced them to act.

I always thought that making indecent phone calls was a criminal offence or have the mamby pamby PC brigade made upsetting others, acceptable too.

I quite like Jonathan Ross as a radio broadcaster but there is no place on Radio 2 for radical presenters to do their 'own thing'. Should Radio 2 stick with the likes of Wogan, Bruce, Evans and Wright? I say yes, let the weird and wacky find radio work elsewhere and leave Radio 2 to churn out good middle of the road entertainment for which they are best known.

http://www.studiosoft.co.uk

Family History - Can you help to fill in the gaps? - http://www.hodgkinsonclark.co.uk
Hodgkinson, Clark, Baxter, Gardner, Spilman, Ward, Lofthouse, Fowler, Westwell
Morecambe Ex Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2008, 09:01   #28
white rabbits

SCRAP THE LICENCE

AND WHILE YOUR AT IT

SCRAP THE B.B.C.
Old 31-10-2008, 09:56   #29
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Why not have a red wine instead
Whiskey, Red Wine, White Wine, Rose theres no colour bar in my house Neil but I know where your coming from
Old 31-10-2008, 11:31   #30
God Member

Quote:
Congratulations on being made “Administrator”.

Although there is a link between the TV licence and BBC funding, BBC funding is not dependant on how many licences are sold. The funding is set by the government and is guaranteed by Royal Charter and fixed at regular and infrequent intervals. The government off-sets this expenditure by gathering the TV licence fee.

The BBC is charged with the task of issuing the TV licence, collecting the fees and keeping track of who does and does not have a TV licence when they should have one to conform with the law. A separate department under the BBC umbrella carries out this task.

The annual BBC funding is currently some £4.3 billion. The current colour TV licence is £139.50. To generate £4.3 billion by the licence fee alone, some 31 million TV licences would have to be sold.

With a population of some 60 million in the UK there are probably in the region of 15 million domestic properties, although 10 million is a more likely figure. Chuck in a few more million for pubs, clubs, hotels etc and even with 20 million domestic properties it still wouldn’t reach 31 million.

The BBC generates extra revenue by the sale of the programmes that it makes and pays tax on the proceeds.

If by some major miracle everyone decided not to renew their TV licence it would not affect the BBC funding at all until the next revue. Similarly if the BBC suddenly ceased to exist we would still be required to have a TV licence.
The £4.3billion figure is from the whole of the BBC. That is licence fee, commercial revenue and world service. The BBC that we view on tv etc is fully funded by the licence fee. The BBC need government approval when setting the licence fee. However at the end of the day the licence is collected and used by the BBC, if the BBC didn't exist anymore, we would not be paying the licence fee because we don't pay it to the government, we pay it to the BBC.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..