Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2008, 11:47   #46
Senior Member+

Re: TV licence fee

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Perhaps if you were a little more discerning in your viewing habbits, and not so blinkered, it would help your quiz scores.
If losing in the quiz is a result of not watching soaps, then it's a small price to pay!!
Old 01-11-2008, 11:49   #47
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Monkey View Post
If losing in the quiz is a result of not watching soaps, then it's a small price to pay!!
I don't watch any of the soaps the B.B.C. insist in broadcasting.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 12:52   #48
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
You also have to remember that BBC1 and ITV1 are competing for the same target audience, so there's bound to be a crossover of provision.
That is the point I was trying to make. The BBC have no need to compete. They don't need a big audience to charge advertising space on. They should be showing programs that will appeal to a different audience than what ITV is showing at the same time.
Old 01-11-2008, 13:05   #49
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
That is the point I was trying to make. The BBC have no need to compete. They don't need a big audience to charge advertising space on. They should be showing programs that will appeal to a different audience than what ITV is showing at the same time.
But The Royal Charter which governs the BBC requires them to provide programming with universal appeal, so they have to produce 'mainstream' programmes in the same way that ITV do.

They also have to produce programmes that generate decent audiences, as they have to prove that they are providing value for money. The remit requires the BBC to educate, inform and entertain, so the production of popular genres e.g. soaps, talent contests, or whatever is popular at the time, is inevitable.
Old 01-11-2008, 13:13   #50
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
But The Royal Charter which governs the BBC requires them to provide programming with universal appeal, so they have to produce 'mainstream' programmes in the same way that ITV do.

They also have to produce programmes that generate decent audiences, as they have to prove that they are providing value for money. The remit requires the BBC to educate, inform and entertain, so the production of popular genres e.g. soaps, talent contests, or whatever is popular at the time, is inevitable.
Yes I agree they do, they should not put them on at the same time though.

When did someone decide that a 24 hours news channel was needed to fit in with that Royal Charter?
Old 01-11-2008, 13:56   #51
Resting in Peace

Lets face it, be honest how many of you watch BBC 3 and 4 on a regular basis, I know I don't
Old 01-11-2008, 15:09   #52
Give, give, give member

Quote:
They should be showing programs that will appeal to a different audience than what ITV is showing at the same time.

...or paying millions of pounds to Camelot to show the Lotto, which provides little entertainment, and very poor viewing figures.

Like all the old nationalised companies, who grew lazy because of lack of competition, if the B.B.C. isn't doing what it's supposed to do, as set out in it's charter, which it isn't, then it should be forced to compete with commercial media companies, in an open market.

Old 01-11-2008, 15:23   #53
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
...or paying millions of pounds to Camelot to show the Lotto, which provides little entertainment, and very poor viewing figures.
The BBC pay Camelot to show the lottery on TV

Should it not be the other way round? Then again I don't like how contestants can win lottery money.
Old 01-11-2008, 15:28   #54
Give, give, give member

Quote:
The BBC pay Camelot to show the lottery on TV

Should it not be the other way round? Then again I don't like how contestants can win lottery money.
Yes, I.T.V. wanted the rights to show the Lotto draw, but were outbid by the B.B.C., using our money.

Very entertaining, cultural, and educational.

^ That's me, not the B.B.C.

Old 01-11-2008, 15:41   #55
Give, give, give member

Interesting article in the Independent, on all the appalling goings on at the B.B.C. of late.

'Yet the turbulence at the BBC has been unremitting. The past 18 months in particular have seen the corporation rocked by storm after storm. Programmes that were thought almost sacred such as Children in Need, Comic Relief and Blue Peter, were found to have duped their audiences.

The Queen herself was unveiled in film to an expectant press as having stomped out of a photoshoot with Annie Leibovitz, when she had done nothing of the sort. Mr Fincham, who had presented the footage as the star billing in his new schedule, ended up quitting but only after a lengthy rearguard action by the BBC and an inquiry conducted by a former senior BBC executive, Will Wyatt.'

Rocked again: BBC all at sea in another storm - TV & Radio, Media - The Independent

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..