Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-02-2009, 16:59   #121

Re: Expenses, expenses...

If the leader of Rossendale Council did the job for less than £12K in 2007-2008 - why does it take 118% more in members allowance for the leader of Hyndburn Borough Council to do their job. Is he 118% better at doing the work than the leader of Rossendale Council.

This is a link to the Rossendale Councillor's allowances for 2007-2008 for comparison - http://www.rossendale.gov.uk/downloa...es_2007-08.pdf

The total allowances claimed by all 35 Hyndburn's councillors in 2007 - 2008 was £140,904.19
(basic allowance) + £111,943.31 (special allowance) = £252,847.50 which is £ 87,550.05 more than that claimed by the 36 Rossendale councillors - who claimed £165,297.45

Last edited by claytonender; 27-02-2009 at 17:01.
claytonender is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-02-2009, 17:05   #122
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonender View Post
If the leader of Rossendale Council did the job for less than £12K in 2007-2008 - why does it take 118% more in members allowance for the leader of Hyndburn Borough Council to do their job. Is he 118% better at doing the work than the leader of Rossendale Council.

This is a link to the Rossendale Councillor's allowances for 2007-2008 for comparison - http://www.rossendale.gov.uk/downloa...es_2007-08.pdf

The total allowances claimed by all 35 Hyndburn's councillors in 2007 - 2008 was £140,904.19
(basic allowance) + £111,943.31 (special allowance) = £252,847.50 which is £ 87,550.05 more than that claimed by the 36 Rossendale councillors - who claimed £165,297.45
Perhaps Rossendale have a better public transport system and their leader is allowed a bus pass?
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2009, 17:08   #123

Well Andrew are you going to ask Peter Britcliffe if he pays back any of his HBC mobile phone bill for personal calls - or was it only Graham you wanted to 'dish' the dirt on?
Old 27-02-2009, 17:10   #124
God Member

Quote:

Are you going to have the courage of your convictions and drop your own allowances then? I don't think Rossendale gives special allowances to group secretaries, at least it doesn't say so on the link provided. Your new allowance would be £2,610 rather than your current £5112, which is a 95% increase on Rossendale.

Last edited by andrewb; 27-02-2009 at 17:13.
andrewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2009, 17:20   #125

I've lost track,

I know there is an addage:-

'Attack is the better form of defence',

but now I can't remember who is attacking whom, can we have some sort of a brief synopsis like they do to bring us all up to date with what's been going on in all the other soaps?
Old 27-02-2009, 17:24   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
Are you going to have the courage of your convictions and drop your own allowances then? I don't think Rossendale gives special allowances to group secretaries, at least it doesn't say so on the link provided. Your new allowance would be £2,610 rather than your current £5112, which is a 95% increase on Rossendale.

Posted via Mobile Device

I am quite aware that Rossendale's allowances are much lower than Hynburn's. And it would be of little concern to me if my allowance was at Rossendales level. Incidentally the current secretary of the Conservative group on HBC is Tony Dobson.
Old 27-02-2009, 17:24   #127
God Member

Quote:
Well Andrew are you going to ask Peter Britcliffe if he pays back any of his HBC mobile phone bill for personal calls - or was it only Graham you wanted to 'dish' the dirt on?
Well considering Peter does not use AccringtonWeb I've no idea why you keep mentioning it here, as I will be asking him through another channel. I'm hoping you already know the answer and can just save me the trouble. When are you going to decrease your allowance?
Old 27-02-2009, 17:25   #128
God Member

Quote:
Posted via Mobile Device

I am quite aware that Rossendale's allowances are much lower than Hynburn's. And it would be of little concern to me if my allowance was at Rossendales level. Incidentally the current secretary of the Conservative group on HBC is Tony Dobson.
If its of little concern then please have the courage of your convictions and drop your allowance 95%. Then you might have a leg to stand on when criticising other peoples allowances.
Old 27-02-2009, 17:52   #129
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
It still doesn't alter the fact that in 2007-2008 Peter Britcliffe claimed £26119.98 (which if equated to a % of council tax is quite a high percentage - I am sure you know how much revenue has to be raised for each 1% of council tax.
Please put this into perspective by posting how much the Council Chief Executive is on, my guess is around £100,000.
Old 27-02-2009, 17:57   #130
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Please put this into perspective by posting how much the Council Chief Executive is on, my guess is around £100,000.
We will find out soon
Council bosses told to reveal pay and perks - UK Politics, UK - The Independent

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2009, 18:00   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
How do you and how would they define a perk?
Old 27-02-2009, 18:03   #132
God Member

That link suggests that perks are-
Town hall chief executives and top earners will also have to disclose financial perks they receive under the new rules, such as private cars, chauffeurs and accommodation. They will also be obliged to reveal the size of any pay-offs they receive upon leaving their posts.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2009, 18:05   #133
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Rent boys and prossies?

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2009, 18:07   #134
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Perhaps a million points on a Tesco Clubcard?

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2009, 18:39   #135

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
Well considering Peter does not use AccringtonWeb I've no idea why you keep mentioning it here, as I will be asking him through another channel. I'm hoping you already know the answer and can just save me the trouble. When are you going to decrease your allowance?
Regarding whether Peter Britcliffe reimburses HBC for the personal calls on his Council Mobile - I don't know whether he pays the money back or not, so it will be intersting for you to provide the answer.

As regards the Member's Allowances - I will accept the level of Rossendale member's allowance, when the rest of Councillors on Hyndburn Borough Council agree to do so.

Last edited by claytonender; 27-02-2009 at 18:44.

Tags
mudslinging, politics

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..