Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-06-2009, 15:43   #61
God Member

Re: How Important is T'internet

I learn something new on here quite often too, but it isn't often anything more than pub quiz trivia (they do a lovely quiz about lancashire on a canal barge on Lancaster canal).

As a law student I depend on online databases for most of my information. There is a law library in the library at university but obviously I come home sometimes but still need to study. Where do you suppose I would get my information from when I am at home? I am here for a few weeks before I go back to University and I have my dissertation to write and work for exams to do. Without the internet I wouldn't be able to come home for the Summer.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 25-06-2009, 16:02   #62
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
I learn something new on here quite often too, but it isn't often anything more than pub quiz trivia (they do a lovely quiz about lancashire on a canal barge on Lancaster canal).

As a law student I depend on online databases for most of my information. There is a law library in the library at university but obviously I come home sometimes but still need to study. Where do you suppose I would get my information from when I am at home? I am here for a few weeks before I go back to University and I have my dissertation to write and work for exams to do. Without the internet I wouldn't be able to come home for the Summer.
The world didn't start when the internet was invented, people found ways of doing things prior to its inception
Old 26-06-2009, 02:17   #63
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
The world didn't start when the internet was invented, people found ways of doing things prior to its inception
That doesn't mean things can be reversed just as easily. I'm from a generation that has developed into adulthood with technology. It might be simpler for you to rewind and like I said, I would cope fine but it would ultimately mean I have less time at home with my family, because I just wouldn't be able to work from home.
Old 26-06-2009, 09:44   #64
Resting in Peace

Quote:
That doesn't mean things can be reversed just as easily. I'm from a generation that has developed into adulthood with technology. It might be simpler for you to rewind and like I said, I would cope fine but it would ultimately mean I have less time at home with my family, because I just wouldn't be able to work from home.
Well I maybe able to give you 40 odd years blazey but I can't understand your logic, there was I thinking that todays up and coming generation were far more resourceful and are more adaptable than their predecessors, seems I was wrong
Old 26-06-2009, 11:33   #65
God Member

The internet has provided the worlwide dissemination of knowledge, which has transformed our view of the world.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2009, 16:06   #66
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
The internet has provided the worlwide dissemination of knowledge, which has transformed our view of the world.
Don't think there is anybody disputing that Margaret, but from what blazey keeps saying it seems its take away the art of improvisation, on the lines of OH MY GOD I'VE NO INTERNET ITS THE END OF MY WORLD AS I KNOW IT
Old 26-06-2009, 17:02   #67
God Member

Quote:
Don't think there is anybody disputing that Margaret, but from what blazey keeps saying it seems its take away the art of improvisation, on the lines of OH MY GOD I'VE NO INTERNET ITS THE END OF MY WORLD AS I KNOW IT
Well how would I have access to the case reports at home without the internet? There isn't an up to date library with them for miles. I can't just 'improvise' if there is nothing to improvise with, so I'd have to stay in Lancaster and I wouldn't be able to come home.

Provide me with a solution that would work and I'll admit I am wrong, but to just keep telling me I am wrong and not suggesting an alternative is pretty useless.
Old 26-06-2009, 17:35   #68
God Member

I have to admit that it would be the end of mine.
I remember how to live without it, but life with it is so much easier.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2009, 20:31   #69
Senior Member+

Quote:
Well how would I have access to the case reports at home without the internet? There isn't an up to date library with them for miles. I can't just 'improvise' if there is nothing to improvise with, so I'd have to stay in Lancaster and I wouldn't be able to come home.

Provide me with a solution that would work and I'll admit I am wrong, but to just keep telling me I am wrong and not suggesting an alternative is pretty useless.

People did, and got good degrees before the internet came along.

Many years ago I used to get on the bus and go to Manchester Central Library.I didn't do law, but Manchester Central Library was a good source for books I needed.
Bernard Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2009, 21:05   #70
Resting in Peace

Quote:
but from what blazey keeps saying it seems its take away the art of improvisation, on the lines of OH MY GOD I'VE NO INTERNET ITS THE END OF MY WORLD AS I KNOW IT
But it's not going to go away Jaysay, and will only get better in leaps and bounds. Suppose the best thing is you can google a specific subject and it is there before you can say 'Jack Robinson' ( LOL .. is that the correct name ?).
New world, get over it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard Dawson View Post
People did, and got good degrees before the internet came along.

Many years ago I used to get on the bus and go to Manchester Central Library.I didn't do law, but Manchester Central Library was a good source for books I needed.
Of course people got good degrees, but there has so much been added now whether it be law, medicine, science,history or geography. Saves time.

Lancaster, where Blazey goes, has a wonderful library too.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2009, 21:34   #71
Senior Member+

I don't disagree Kate, I was just pointing out that it was possible to do a degree without the Internet. The Internet has opened up tremendous possibilities, and I am sure that it's a big help to students, no matter what subject they are studying.
Bernard Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2009, 09:02   #72
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
I have to admit that it would be the end of mine.
I remember how to live without it, but life with it is so much easier.
It wouldn't if you were still 20 Margaret like myself, for you the internet has been a god send, it does make life easier, especially for shopping
Old 27-06-2009, 11:29   #73
Resting in Peace

It's wonderful to know I have taught so many people so much and in such a short space of time.

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2009, 12:35   #74
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benipete View Post
It's wonderful to know I have taught so many people so much and in such a short space of time.
There you go, selling yourself short again Beni
Old 27-06-2009, 14:07   #75
God Member

I'll just wave my magic wand and generate enough money to go to a library out of town every day.

I don't even have the money to get to Accrington. I walk from Oswaldtwistle. And obviously it costs the same to get to Lancaster as it does to Manchester, so I'd go there before I went to Manchester. And if it was that easy to get to Lancaster then I wouldn't live there in the first place, I'd just commute and save money on rent.

I think some people forget that this isn't actually their 'day' any more and that things have drastically changed in society, not just in regards to education but the way things are done in general. Maybe I should research how people lived before YOUR time and then bring it up every time you suggest something?

I was talking to a man in the Arndale yesterday about the regeneration of the town and he said that the older members of the community have a really bad attitude to change and he was really keen to get me to have my say on it. I think it is absolutely shocking that the first thing I hear from a stranger when I am home is that the older generation don't care enough about this town to have a positive attitude towards its regeneration.

It's a real shame that every time I come home that this town has crumbled a little bit more. To say you're so passionate about emphasising the quality of your day Jaysay, you don't do very much to persuade me that you have anything useful to suggest each time to try to shoot down my arguments.

Do you think you are a valuable member of society?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..