Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-06-2009, 19:44   #91
God Member

Re: How Important is T'internet

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
To be honest, I'm just sick of hearing about the past as well. It's like people just don't want to accept today. Accrington NEEDS to change. If people aren't willing to help with that, whatever way it is done, then their opinion, whilst valid, isn't really helping anyone is it.

Comments like 'you're leaving so it doesn't matter to you anyway' are stupid. Any one of us might die tomorrow and we're definitely going to die anyway, so maybe we should just sit at our laptops on accyweb and wait. How about that?
What a crock of horse manure! A complete misunderstanding of the physics and the philosophy of time and the nature of human memory. Time compartmentalized! The past as some alien entity! The present as a an isolated "today" .... this is mindless garbage, or, if not mindless, solipsistic. And "Accrington NEEDS to change"! How do you know? And what is "Accrington"? Is it an artifact? An idea? Or is it something that is "a part of all that it has met"? Perhaps you could consider thinking before orating.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 29-06-2009, 20:13   #92
God Member

How on earth did people ever manage to study for degrees before the internet arrived? They must have had to study cases just like you do so maybe they had to carry a load of paperwork around with them. Maybe that isn't an option people would choose by choice but if it was the only option available and you were intent on studying you would have to use it. Maybe you would have less time to come on here insulting everybody if the case notes weren't available at your figertips
Old 29-06-2009, 20:36   #93
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
Maybe you would have less time to come on here insulting everybody if the case notes weren't available at your figertips

She's saving all the replies to use in a libel case
Old 29-06-2009, 20:42   #94
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
She's saving all the replies to use in a libel case
Now I'm frightened
Old 29-06-2009, 21:12   #95
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
How on earth did people ever manage to study for degrees before the internet arrived? They must have had to study cases just like you do so maybe they had to carry a load of paperwork around with them. Maybe that isn't an option people would choose by choice but if it was the only option available and you were intent on studying you would have to use it. Maybe you would have less time to come on here insulting everybody if the case notes weren't available at your figertips
I earned all my degrees (which I have on the wall of my bathroom, so that I can marvel at my intellect when I take a dump) before the internet arrived. We read books (definition available on request) ... and if the books were not there, we had inter-library (place where they have lotsa books) loans ... most of my papers (some of which, I'm ashamed to say, were bad enough to be published) I typed on a machine they called a typewriter. But maybe I shouldn't talk about the past; it smacks of "fogeyism" ... and my mind feels so out of date
Old 29-06-2009, 21:25   #96
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
so that I can marvel at my intellect when I take a dump)

If it wasn't for the internet and the use of virtual toilets I wouldn't be able to go for a dump. I'm grateful I didn't live in the olden days when there were no virtual toilets, how did people have a dump then ?
Old 29-06-2009, 22:03   #97
God Member

The internet is a fantastic resource, but I can't foresee it replacing the 'old' media anytime soon.
Old 29-06-2009, 22:08   #98
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
If it wasn't for the internet and the use of virtual toilets I wouldn't be able to go for a dump. I'm grateful I didn't live in the olden days when there were no virtual toilets, how did people have a dump then ?
Down at the bottom of the yard .... with the tippler tank ... and after your dump you could make use of the newspaper .... some papers are better as asswipe than they are as reliable media Those were the days when a Sunday joint was something you ate with yorkshire and two veg, not something you smoked to get the munchies, so that even stale pizza tastes great
Old 30-06-2009, 01:31   #99

Quote:
Am I meant to be impressed by someone who claims to be resourceful just because they go out to get ****ed? You can get average marks with 100% reliance on abstracts in the text books that we have to buy, but I'm not a big fan of that. It's just lazy.

I have two jobs over Summer and so I will be going back to Lancaster soon enough anyway. Thanks for your advice.
Have you got any respect for your elders at all? If I was your mum I'd be ashamed and embarrassed. ( I'd also give you a bloody good hiding! ) Get some bloody respect! My son is 21, never been to uni but been to college. He has a very good job, earning very good money, he would NEVER speak to his elders like you do. You make me mad the way you speak to people on here that know more than you ever will! Grow UP!
suedarbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2009, 01:44   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
I earned all my degrees (which I have on the wall of my bathroom, so that I can marvel at my intellect when I take a dump) before the internet arrived. We read books (definition available on request) ... and if the books were not there, we had inter-library (place where they have lotsa books) loans ... most of my papers (some of which, I'm ashamed to say, were bad enough to be published) I typed on a machine they called a typewriter. But maybe I shouldn't talk about the past; it smacks of "fogeyism" ... and my mind feels so out of date
Your degree means more. You didn't copy it from Google
suedarbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2009, 03:44   #101
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by suedarbo View Post
Your degree means more. You didn't copy it from Google
Don't think I need to say anythng else on this subject, think you've said it all Sue
Old 30-06-2009, 10:14   #102

Quote:
Am I meant to be impressed by someone who claims to be resourceful just because they go out to get ****ed? You can get average marks with 100% reliance on abstracts in the text books that we have to buy, but I'm not a big fan of that. It's just lazy.

I have two jobs over Summer and so I will be going back to Lancaster soon enough anyway. Thanks for your advice.
Going out and getting bladdered is not I'm sure meant to impress you... I am a little perplexed at what actually would impress you tho......
......it is saying he was able to do this and study, which I'm sure you understood... you were just being obnoxious...... again

Reliance on books?????, Blazey, you are reading for a degree......aren't you??
How do you think someone like Cherie Blair got her Law Degree???.... she certainly didn't have internet access to help her complete her studies she used books, written text, you know the old school way of learning (pardon the pun!!). Hard Graft!!!!

Are you saying that you can get average marks from the use of abstracts????
I would imagine that you would not pass any assignment with the use of abstracts alone, from the work that I/fellow students have done this is not possible, a student who did this would be sure to fail!!!

Also, I am quite happy with average marks, as long as they are my average!!! ........

In relation to Accrington and it's regeneration, you say you will be leaving Accrington but you imply you are happy for the rest of your family to live in such a downtrodden place ....why???? what's the difference between you and them

You wish that Accrington was more like Lancaster.... Is Lancaster so great ?? I was there on Sunday and it looked pretty damn grim even in the blazing sunshine!!
By the way is that the furthest you have travelled??

You need to see a few more sights Blazey.....

I have travelled quite extensively, I don't think it matters where you go it always seems better than where you're actually living at the time...... the grass is always greener as they say...... and the reason the grass is greener is because of the pasture pies

I can remember when Accrington had bags of character.... alot of this has disappeared through the regeneration of the town... we have lost our identity. All the independent shops have been lost to the multi-nationals, who have now either deserted us or have gone bust leaving a succession of pound shops and empty units..........

You say Accrington is close to Burnley and BNP is that poor Accrington being GUILTY by association....
Although the towns may appear similar the demographics are quite different.........

Last edited by nicola68; 30-06-2009 at 10:15. Reason: typo
nicola68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2009, 10:16   #103
Resting in Peace

And Burnley's full of Dingles too
Old 30-06-2009, 10:21   #104

Cheeky
Old 30-06-2009, 10:40   #105
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicola68 View Post
Cheeky
I know, I'm like that

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..