Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-02-2011, 16:47   #16
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!
Re: Health and Safety

Sadly because forced stupidity is being inflicted on us by pratts & Jobsworths in authority ! when administered sensibly & judiciously the H&S along with a whole plethora of other directives we've had forced onto us are valid, but the constant interfering of the state micro managing every aspect of our daily routine has led to a culture of weasling out of things by shouting about rules & regs. A veritable shirkers paradise turning out a nation of whining pussies not prepared to use & act on common sense. Pathetic & petty.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...ency-test.html

Express.co.uk - Home of the Daily and Sunday Express | UK News :: Local men to the rescue as officials hire JCB to lift a mattress

Lake rescue victim 'condemned to death' says mother - Home News, UK - The Independent

I know also from personal experience about lazy, idle, jobsworth, backsliding individuals ! An example:- A Wifey requires a new washing machine pays & orders awaiting delivery (Hubby deployed on ops), Jobsworth turns to with a young lassie in tow at the house, when the lady of said house asks if he can put the machine in the cellar he promptly trots out H&S legislation & that he can't expect young lassie to help !

Upset Wifey phones welfare, Icky & mate sent to sort the problem (cart the machine down into the cellar) on arrival JW gone & we had to do his job ! If the rules apply to him well they must equally apply to us ??? Except we just got on with it, no fuss or bother !

That I believe is Barries point by saying "Struck"
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 26-02-2011, 19:08   #17
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Why do you say "struck" like it is a bad thing?
The wax polish had to be removed from the corridor lino - had it removed over a weekend and replaced by some liquid instant shine. Monday morning we had our first accident ever in the corridor - on the lino which then had a "non-slip" shine.
From your question, do you imply that you totally support all H & S requirements?
Old 26-02-2011, 20:13   #18
Senior Member+

I asked a local charity who sell furniture to take a cane suite from our conservatory and sell it. Two men came, took the cushions off and picked up the settee. I picked up the cushions and followed. One turned round and saw me. 'Please sir, put them down,you can't do that!' 'Why not?' 'Health and Safety, sir. If you hurt yourself it's my fault!'. 'But I'm carrying MY cushions on MY drive!'. 'Doesn't matter, more than my job's worth!'. I gave up.
Ordered some new fence panels, wagon arrived, man starts unloading them at bottom of drive. It's a long drive so I asked him to stack them near the house. 'Can't do that,sir, not really allowed on private property. I should really leave them on the road.Health and safety, you know'. Nearly killed me moving them. So much for MY health and Safety.
Is it the fools in Europe who write the rules, the fools in UK who enforce them, or ordinary people who don't understand them and daren't risk breaking them?
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2011, 20:15   #19
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

or perhaps the panel guy was n idle git gordon?
Old 26-02-2011, 20:18   #20
Senior Member+

cashman, that's an awful thing to say! Although I must admit I did wonder.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2011, 20:20   #21
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
cashman, that's an awful thing to say! Although I must admit I did wonder.
not awful if its correct though.
Old 26-02-2011, 21:57   #22
Give, give, give member

Ridiculous.

Thanks to Health & Safety, prior to the funeral, you're now obliged to go to the undertakers, and they show you how to lie in the box without getting stiff.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2011, 22:38   #23
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
From your question, do you imply that you totally support all H & S requirements?
I posted this earlier

Quote:
I am big on H&S but only when its sensible and correct. I see to many stupid ideas still.
Old 27-02-2011, 04:05   #24
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
Is it the fools in Europe who write the rules, the fools in UK who enforce them, or ordinary people who don't understand them and daren't risk breaking them?
let's get real about the law in this country.. they are decided by Parliment.. any regulations or laws made by "european courts" are not and never have been binding to this country unless Parliment agrees.
Some of the posts on this thread are against health and safety and are the ususal have a go at the bloke doing his job... most of those posts are made by men or women that should know better at a time when the whole working population are under attack by this monkey government.. you are either idiots or right wing nutters...don't be fooled by the propaganda that chips away at every right we have left.. most health and safety regulations here have been brought in because of injury or deaths at work and are introduced by in insurance companies..

Last edited by Mancie; 27-02-2011 at 04:08.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2011, 05:36   #25
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
introduced by in insurance companies..
who just happen to be the biggest contributors to ALL political parties ,and supply the most lobbyists etc. same with private health care providers , who says politicians can't be bought . maybe someone can tell me why the Govt. does not offer/provide basic motorist coverage ..... something which was offered in Zambia 30+ years ago .
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2011, 09:13   #26
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
let's get real about the law in this country.. they are decided by Parliament.. any regulations or laws made by "european courts" are not and never have been binding to this country unless Parliament agrees.
Some of the posts on this thread are against health and safety and are the usual have a go at the bloke doing his job... most of those posts are made by men or women that should know better at a time when the whole working population are under attack by this monkey government.. you are either idiots or right wing nutters...don't be fooled by the propaganda that chips away at every right we have left.. most health and safety regulations here have been brought in because of injury or deaths at work and are introduced by in insurance companies..
Most of the stupid Health and Safety regs were introduced whilst your cronies were at the helm, together with Tony Blair's finest achievement in Government the European Human Rights Act, his wife and her cronies are now making a mint out of it
Old 27-02-2011, 09:19   #27
Senior Member+

Quote:
I posted this earlier
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
I am big on H&S but only when its sensible and correct. I see to many stupid ideas still.

So do you decide what is sensible and correct and what is stupid? Sort of "Pick & Mix"
Old 27-02-2011, 09:27   #28
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay
Most of the stupid Health and Safety regs were introduced whilst your cronies were at the helm, together with Tony Blair's finest achievement in Government the European Human Rights Act, his wife and her cronies are now making a mint out of it
Remind us which party formed the government when Britain joined the then EEC. In case you can't recall here's a reminder:
BBC News | Ever closer union? The UK and Europe

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2011, 09:30   #29
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerself View Post
Remind us which party formed the government when Britain joined the then EEC. In case you can't recall here's a reminder:
Wasn't it when the Prime Minister was that nice Teddy Hamstead-Heath?

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2011, 09:35   #30
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerself View Post
Thats the bit hes conveniently forgot.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..