Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-05-2011, 14:32   #1
Junior Member+

Bias local newspaper

The Accrington web has to be the way to get your point of view over to the people of Hyndburn, be it right or wrong, because using the letters page in the Accrington Observer has now become a waste of time with only three or four letters printed each week, even though they get a mail bag of at least twenty letters a week. If you send a letter with a constructive criticism of the previous council leader they will not print it. I know of at least five labour supporters who have written letters and none of them have been printed. The last council leader sent before the 9th March the names of Councillor Allah Dad to Buckingham, Palace to represent Hyndburn at the garden party as the next mayor of Hyndburn when he should not have named the mayor because he didn't know at that time who it would be. He presumed that the conservatives would still be in control of the council, they lost it and therefore Councillor Dad will not be the mayor that honour now goes to Labour Councillor Colette McCormack. Should Councillor Peter Britcliffe not have just said that the mayor would be attending, not naming the person. Or was this a cynical ploy by a sad and vindictive person. I sent a letter asking this to the Accrington Observer two weeks ago yet it wasn't printed. I leave the readers of the Accrington web to draw their own conclusions.
torquemada is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 28-05-2011, 16:26   #2
Common Sense Member

Re: Bias local newspaper

It is reasonably disappointing to see that The Accrington Observer seemingly still feels that Peter Britcliffe is Leader of the Council and has given him his old column back in order to reinforce that. The front page headline seemed to me to be an attack on a decent and popular MP rather than a balanced report and none of the stories that had been requested from Rishton were published.

I do continue to query the impartiality of the paper when points from Peter Britcliffe were hammered home on the front page, the 'Political Column' and also the letters page. On the other hand, no one at Britcliffe HQ or The Accrington Observer seems to have realised that the public are truly weary of hearing his opinions and that the reason people don't buy the paper are because he is in it on every page every week.

Long may the media blanket continue as he's doing an excellent job of canvassing against himself.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2011, 16:53   #3
Give, give, give member

I had a letter published, when the last council ignored the recommendations of an independent body, and massively increased their meal allowances, when away on council business.

The then Council Leader asked that if anyone knew where you could eat in London for a tenner, they should write a guide book.

I helpfully supplied the address of a nice restaurant, yards from Downing Street, where you could have a two course meal, and a glass of wine, all within the limits of the old allowance.

What suprised me about this weekend's Observer is the Leader's Column has been rechristened the Political Column, so even in opposition, we can still read Cllr. Britcliffe's musings.

Can't say I've noticed any political bias in the Observer.

The last leader was featured heavily in the paper, but that's down to the HBC press office, not the Observer photographing his every move.

There are regular letters from a local Communist party member, as well as the regular nutters, of all political persuasion.

The paper isn't what it once was, but I refute the accusation they're politically motivated in their editing.

Last edited by garinda; 28-05-2011 at 16:56.
garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2011, 17:05   #4
Give, give, give member

If Miles Parkinson, the new Council Leader, isn't that keen on courting the press, perhaps to counter balance Cllr. Britcliffe's continued political observations, give Ken Moss his own column.

The Moss Doesn't Give a Toss column.

Old 28-05-2011, 17:11   #5
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
It is reasonably disappointing to see that The Accrington Observer seemingly still feels that Peter Britcliffe is Leader of the Council and has given him his old column back in order to reinforce that. The front page headline seemed to me to be an attack on a decent and popular MP rather than a balanced report and none of the stories that had been requested from Rishton were published.

I do continue to query the impartiality of the paper when points from Peter Britcliffe were hammered home on the front page, the 'Political Column' and also the letters page. On the other hand, no one at Britcliffe HQ or The Accrington Observer seems to have realised that the public are truly weary of hearing his opinions and that the reason people don't buy the paper are because he is in it on every page every week.

Long may the media blanket continue as he's doing an excellent job of canvassing against himself.
I honestly think they so overstretched, and/or desperate for anything remotely resembling a news story, that almost anything could end up as a front page lead.

I do think it's down to who contacts them, rather than political bias, that influences what's published.

Old 28-05-2011, 17:23   #6
JCB

The headlines on the front page of this week's Observer are based on Peter Britcliffe's attack on Graham Jones' presence at the Council meeting .

The most prominent letter on the Letters page is one written by Peter Britcliffe , again attacking Graham Jones' presence at Council meetings .

The Observer has a new column called the Political Column written by guess who ?

I don't recall the Observer giving the Labour opposition Leader a column to air his views .

This Political Column is not the new name for the Leader's Viewpoint Column .
We had the Leader's Viewpoint Column written by Miles Parkinson in last week's Observer .
It is a new creation , and if it continues as it is this week , the Observer will clearly be showing bias .
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2011, 17:51   #7
Beacon of light

I penned a letter to the Observer when I read the very undignified rant from PB on the letters page.
Personally I think that PB is suffering from envy......Graham Jones is in a place that PB aspired to.......and tried numerous times to get elected.
He is also suffering from Loss Syndrome.......he has lost his favourite place on the council.......he was used to being the lead dog,the head honcho, now he has to run with the pack and I don't think he likes looking up the bum end of the dog in front of him.

He also implies that Graham has lied about the state of the finances......he says that HBC is in fine financial fettle...the truth will out, so we will have to wait and see.

I put much of this in my letter so I don't hold out much hope of it getting into print.

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 28-05-2011 at 17:55.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2011, 17:51   #8
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCB View Post
The headlines on the front page of this week's Observer are based on Peter Britcliffe's attack on Graham Jones' presence at the Council meeting .

The most prominent letter on the Letters page is one written by Peter Britcliffe , again attacking Graham Jones' presence at Council meetings .

The Observer has a new column called the Political Column written by guess who ?

I don't recall the Observer giving the Labour opposition Leader a column to air his views .

We had the Leader's Viewpoint Column written by Miles Parkinson in last week's Observer .
It is a new creation , and if it continues as it is this week , the Observer will clearly be showing bias .
The idea is that the individual portfolio holders of the Council will write about the Council department there covering. Which should be far more interesting than the views of just one person. That's the intention anyway.
Bernard Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2011, 17:53   #9
God Member

I think PB's words should be remebered by anyone who lives in Hyndburn but works out of the area. Next time the Tories come canvassing for your vote remember to clear off back to where you work, you're not welcome in Hyndburn
Old 28-05-2011, 18:03   #10
JCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard Dawson View Post
The idea is that the individual portfolio holders of the Council will write about the Council department there covering. Which should be far more interesting than the views of just one person. That's the intention anyway.
Yes Miles Parkinson wrote about that in his Leader's Viewpoint Column last week .

But whose idea is it to start a Political Column ?
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2011, 18:10   #11
Senior Member+

A word of advice to the new administration. Take it from someone who spent 30 years learning how to deal with the press.

Don't wait for journalists to write the story. Write it yourselves with whatever spin you wish to put on it, and present it to the journalists as the finished article. They are a lazy breed who always look for an easy life, so they will welcome someone else doing the hard work.

gynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2011, 18:11   #12
Senior Member+

Quote:
Yes Miles Parkinson wrote about that in his Leader's Viewpoint Column last week .

But whose idea is it to start a Political Column ?
I'm not sure. I assume its replacing the leaders column. Maybe its after discussions with the observer. I'll check with Miles.
Bernard Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2011, 18:35   #13
Give, give, give member

Quote:
It is a new creation
To be pedantic, you're right.

In reality, Cllr. Britcliffe's old Leader's Column has just been renamed as the Political Column.

Miles Parkinson said in his first Leader's Column the other week, that he at first turned it down, but decided against it, in order that other Labour councillors can use it to write about what they're doing.

A former Leader who loved publicity, and a new one who doesn't seem as keen on courting the press, does not equal political bias.

As stated earlier, if you contacted the Observer and your dog's dinner now looked vaguely like the Virgin Mary, the story would more than likely be splashed across the next issue's front page.

To counteract accusations of bias, perhaps the new council should be more proactive in telling the press what they are, and what they plan to do.

Old 28-05-2011, 18:42   #14
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard Dawson View Post
I'm not sure. I assume its replacing the leaders column. Maybe its after discussions with the observer. I'll check with Miles.
I presume, I don't know, that it was Peter's idea.

It's a very good idea.

Free publicity.

I'm sure if Graham, or Miles had contacted the paper, when they were leaders of the opposition, that the paper would gladly have allowed them to write a monthly piece.

Until someone provides evidence that this happened, and they were refused column inches, I stand by my observations that this isn't political bias.

It's just that some people are better media whores than others...for whatever reasons.

Old 28-05-2011, 21:40   #15
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Much ado about nothing IMHO the observer was a damn good local rag, that has steadily become crap, aint even good chip paper these days.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..