Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-09-2012, 15:48   #16
God Member

Re: Alcohol - Price Per Unit

One could always get creative and make home brew ... all you need is a pressure cooker, some copper tubing, and a cold water tap ... bingo, white lightning This cuts out the middle man and the tax man.

Maybe a good idea not to light a smoke or a joint while drinking the stuff.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 19-09-2012, 15:56   #17
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Apparently the over-65s present quite a problem these days.

BBC News - 'Do I drink too much?', asks Joan Bakewell
Why should I change the habit of a lifetime
Old 19-09-2012, 15:59   #18
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
Why should I change the habit of a lifetime
Why indeed. If it's worked for a lifetime, it's gotta have something going for it.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2012, 16:00   #19
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
One could always get creative and make home brew ... all you need is a pressure cooker, some copper tubing, and a cold water tap ... bingo, white lightning This cuts out the middle man and the tax man.

Maybe a good idea not to light a smoke or a joint while drinking the stuff.
Tried moonshine in the US and poteen in N. Ireland, and whatever it was called in the Hebrides, it was also the staple drink in Saudi - called "siddique" (friend). Mind you it was always necessary to know and trust the supplier - basic rule was nrver buy from a blind man
Old 19-09-2012, 16:06   #20
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Why indeed. If it's worked for a lifetime, it's gotta have something going for it.
But a lot of these people were not lifetime drinkers but had turned to drink later in life through loneliness, bereavement, time to kill, whatever... and really were drinking to excess.
Old 19-09-2012, 16:49   #21
Senior Member+

Quote:
But a lot of these people were not lifetime drinkers but had turned to drink later in life through loneliness, bereavement, time to kill, whatever... and really were drinking to excess.
If they've got to over 65 they haven't been drinking too much! If they want to drink a bit more now then leave them alone, they haven't that long left to enjoy themselves and who wants to live forever in a care home, drugged up to keep you quiet and lying in a wet bed?
'It would save 50,000 lives over a decade'. Rubbish, some of them might live a bit longer but they'd still die.
If you can go out regularly and drink in pubs/clubs until 2 or 3 in the morning until you can hardly stand up a few pence on a 'tinny' at home doesn't matter to you. It won't work, just more do-gooders telling us how to lead our lives.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2012, 17:00   #22
Senior Member+

i wonder how much of this is driven by the breweries?, would they profit more from creating more footfall in bars, drinking their product, or will it balance out the loss of domestic drinking, i once read that a bottle of wine is £5, and after all the costs hardly anything for the producer, but from £5 upwards the producer gets more, ie why most £5 is crap but one at £8 a lot better.

we are told its the nanny state, but is it? is it just not another way to try and save one of our ailing industries, that after all said and done (the cost of policing, health, yaddada)creates revenue, a revenue that cant afford to be lost by any government.

people will stay at home to watch football on their sky tv, and smoke as much as they want, and drink draught beer from a can, at a 3rd of the cost of a pub pint, whilst talking to their mates on Skype for free, how do you compete?
churchfcrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2012, 17:06   #23
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
So would there be anything wrong with spend £100 and get 24 beers free?
As for clubs doing two for one, don't know of one (often see supermarkets doing similar) clubs used to do cheaper beers, I don't go in them often these days because their beers are always more expensive than the pub around the corner.

John Smiths Mild is £1-60p a Pint in Ossy Social Club, bitter is £2, not sure what prices are like overall as I ain't been out that often, but I believe that's quite cheap on today's prices
Old 19-09-2012, 17:09   #24
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houseboy View Post
The problem with all this is it is yet another example of government being unable to find a solution to a problem (binge drinking) and so punishing everyone for the actions of the minority. It reminds me of being at school when the teacher made everyone stay behind in class after school because two or three idiots misbehaved. I hated it then and I hate this idea now.
Ya a bit like banning smoking in pubs a sledge hammer to crack a nut, there was nothing wrong with smoking rooms, and I'm a none smoker
Old 19-09-2012, 17:10   #25
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Apparently the over-65s present quite a problem these days.

BBC News - 'Do I drink too much?', asks Joan Bakewell
Cashy doesn't drink and he's not that old anyway
Old 19-09-2012, 17:16   #26
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
Tried moonshine in the US and poteen in N. Ireland, and whatever it was called in the Hebrides, it was also the staple drink in Saudi - called "siddique" (friend). Mind you it was always necessary to know and trust the supplier - basic rule was nrver buy from a blind man
Once tried poteen Barrie, wow now that is rocket fuel, its defo light the blue touch paper and stand well clear when you've been using that stuff
Old 19-09-2012, 17:22   #27
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
If they've got to over 65 they haven't been drinking too much! If they want to drink a bit more now then leave them alone, they haven't that long left to enjoy themselves and who wants to live forever in a care home, drugged up to keep you quiet and lying in a wet bed?
'It would save 50,000 lives over a decade'. Rubbish, some of them might live a bit longer but they'd still die.
If you can go out regularly and drink in pubs/clubs until 2 or 3 in the morning until you can hardly stand up a few pence on a 'tinny' at home doesn't matter to you. It won't work, just more do-gooders telling us how to lead our lives.
Some of them weren't enjoying themselves. Drinking a bottle of vodka a day at home on your own cannot be good for anyone.
Old 19-09-2012, 19:29   #28
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
John Smiths Mild is £1-60p a Pint in Ossy Social Club, bitter is £2, not sure what prices are like overall as I ain't been out that often, but I believe that's quite cheap on today's prices
Crikey Moses thats dearer than petrol or diesel,
all it is barley n hops thats gone mouldy, an 95/97% of what yu get is tap water any way, you must be wrong in yer eads.
Why is there a difference in price between bitter, mild or lager, and what ever else is made from barley, wheat and hops.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2012, 19:39   #29
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Not half! Actually it's a bit over half pub prices in some places but it won't be long before there's a £4 pint.
Old 19-09-2012, 20:38   #30
Super Moderator

Quote:
Just got round to reading this, as I had a hangover earlier on. Who the hell is this interfering, holier-than-thou do-gooder to start lecturing us old gits on the perils of drink? If she thinks she's drinking too much, then it's up to her to cut down, but don't start telling the rest of us what to do.

If I want to go on the lash, I'll go on the lash and no toffee-nosed, upper-class busybody is going to stop me!
lindsay ormerod likes this.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..