Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-02-2005, 11:23   #166
God Member

Re: big bumps on the coppice...?

Just received an e-mail from Gayle. There is to be public meeting on Saturday 12th March 2005, 12 noon to 2pm in Accrington Town Hall. The subject of the meeting: A Panopticon for Hyndburn.For more details contact Gayle Knight on: 01282 421986.

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 21-02-2005, 12:42   #167
Resident Waffler

I too had an email from her this morning, apologising (profusely no less) for not having replied earlier - could it be that she reads the AccyWeb and saw my post?

She informs me that "the questions and answers in Friday's paper should have answered some of [my] questions" I know she means the Observer but it isn't as if that's the only "paper" in the world.

The fact that I was in Ireland on Friday and didn't see the Observer would have been unknown to her (unless of course she reads the AccyWeb and saw mention of our trip) but she kindly attached a copy of the Q & A for my perusal. I must admit that the "A"s have left me with more "Q"s than I had in the first place and I shall endeavour to attend said meeting on March 12th.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2005, 13:23   #168
Senior Member+

Please lets us exiles know what happens at the meeting when you come back as I am sure it will be different to reported view

Bazf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2005, 13:33   #169
Resident Waffler

One thing I really, really want to know is how this Panoptican't is going to bring revenue to the town as now we are being told that it is best viewed from the air. Are we anticipating special day trips by aeroplane to fly over Accy (from Squires Gate maybe?) to view the "magnificent earthworks"? How exactly is this going to improve the financial state of the borough? Are the tourists mayhap going to drop monetary offerings onto the Coppice as they wing their way back to their place of origin?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2005, 13:38   #170
Beacon of light

I too, have just had an e-mail from Gayle Knight......well, it was just a flyer for the meeting really. I will try to get to the meeting to see what is being said.......and to find out how to oppose planning permission.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2005, 14:17   #171
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington
I will try to get to the meeting to see what is being said.......and to find out how to oppose planning permission.
The Planning Dept. will post a notice (assume on the coppice or near to) to indicate that they have had an application, should also give details. Once this notice is posted you can write in to the Planning Dept. indicating your opposition to the application.(I think there is further information on HBC website) and if you find out when the application is to be put to the Planning Committee, go along there and sit in at the meeting, and possibly speak on behalf of the people opposing the application. From past experience, the Planning Committee only seem to rubber stamp the views and findings of the "Technical Officers" of HBC,the Chief Planning Officer. See the link below, it lists current planning applications.

http://www.hyndburnbc.gov.uk/Your_Co...g/Planning.htm

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
Albert Einstein.

park381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2005, 14:26   #172
Beacon of light

Thanks for that Park........I think you are right about the rubber stamping bit.
Make a mockery of public consultation though!
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2005, 15:03   #173
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

I will try my damndest to be there. I may have to work but I don't know yet.

Hehehehe..... It will be like an Accyweb meeting but without the booze..

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2005, 16:43   #174
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington
Thanks for that Park........I think you are right about the rubber stamping bit.
Make a mockery of public consultation though!
Yep, had a problem local with a planning application by HBC, there were 10 letters objecting to the application, and only 1 in favour, guess what the application went through on the chief planning officers recommendation

Albert Einstein.

Old 21-02-2005, 16:54   #175
God Member

Yup, I got the flyer too. Are we taking rotten fruit and eggs with us?
Old 21-02-2005, 17:49   #176
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
One thing I really, really want to know is how this Panoptican't is going to bring revenue to the town .......?
I think the answer is HBC are anticipating coachloads of tourists turning up,stepping off the bus,staring at the coppice, and having a bloody good laugh.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2005, 18:12   #177
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
One thing I really, really want to know is how this Panoptican't is going to bring revenue to the town as now we are being told that it is best viewed from the air. Are we anticipating special day trips by aeroplane to fly over Accy (from Squires Gate maybe?) to view the "magnificent earthworks"? How exactly is this going to improve the financial state of the borough? Are the tourists mayhap going to drop monetary offerings onto the Coppice as they wing their way back to their place of origin?
Hey don't know about that, but since they altered the runways at Manchester Airport, we are getting a lot more air traffic over Hyndburn now...............may be that's what HBC are thinking about, could be, there'll be a HBC salesperson at Manchester Airport

Albert Einstein.

Old 21-02-2005, 18:39   #178
Senior Member+

The Stanley fans even managed an anti-Britcliffe chant on Saturday!{in between watching all the goals flying past Barnet's keeper!**
Old 21-02-2005, 20:24   #179
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsay ormerod
The Stanley fans even managed an anti-Britcliffe chant on Saturday!{in between watching all the goals flying past Barnet's keeper!**
For the people not there it went like this, "He's fat, he's round, he's sold the f*****g town, Britcliffe, Britcliffe.
How true and so funny when the chant went up.

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2005, 05:47   #180
God Member

If this is true Bagpuss, football supporters have just gone up in my estimation!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..