Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > General Sport and Hobby Talk
Donate! Join Today

General Sport and Hobby Talk General chat about anything sport or hobby related.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2012, 11:45   #1
Senior Member+

Have the Olympics changed your World?

Just wondering if the Olympics have given you a new lease of life?

Singer Morrisey has said:

"I am unable to watch the Olympics due to the blustering jingoism that drenches the event. Has England ever been quite so foul with patriotism? Morrissey attacks 'blustering jingoism' of Olympic Games | Music | guardian.co.uk

It's been entertaining but give it a few months and it will all be just a distant memory. The news will be back to Politicians bickering about the recession and the discontent of reality will deepen.

Last edited by kestrelx; 10-09-2012 at 11:47.
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 10-09-2012, 12:27   #2
Resting In Peace

Re: Have the Olympics changed your World?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
Just wondering if the Olympics have given you a new lease of life?
It's been entertaining but give it a few months and it will all be just a distant memory. The news will be back to Politicians bickering about the recession and the discontent of reality will deepen.
We were lucky to have the Olympics to help cheer up a miserable summer but I think the long term legacy will be negligible. Perhaps in another 60 years there will be more nostalgia, as there was this year for the last London Games.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
Singer Morrisey has said:

"I am unable to watch the Olympics due to the blustering jingoism that drenches the event. Has England ever been quite so foul with patriotism? Morrissey attacks 'blustering jingoism' of Olympic Games | Music | guardian.co.uk
Pity he hasn't surfaced on Accyweb. His kneejerk reactions would fit right in in some places.

Last edited by susie123; 10-09-2012 at 12:34.
susie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:31   #3
Beacon of light

in a word 'No'.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 13:42   #4

I can't see how they possibly could. People keep talking about the "Olympic legacy" and frankly I fail to see how any sporting occasion could possibly change the world, so to speak. The Olympics were a success on just about every level I agree (even though I have never really taken too much interest in the past as it's far to general for me - give me the world cup and football in general any day) and therefore it is something that, as a nation, we should be justifiably proud, but what are people expecting will happen because of it?
I heard people talking on t.v. about the thousands of volunteers who helped to make it a success (and indeed they did) and couldn't we encourage more volunteering in our society because of it. The answer to that is, I think, an unequivocal no! People, in the main I think, volunteered for the Olympics because of the status of the games and the desire to "be involved" with it. Ask these self-same people to go back to their own communities and volunteer to sweep the streets or clean up the environment generally and I think you would get a swift "no". Because there is no glamour in it!!
The Olympics was a success and our athletes (I refuse to use the term "team GB" as it is an awful Americanism that we could better do without) did exceptionally well, but that is where it ends.
There is no legacy (except possibly that if you invest heavily enough in sport something will come out of the other end of the pipe).
Old 10-09-2012, 15:07   #5
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houseboy View Post
I can't see how they possibly could. People keep talking about the "Olympic legacy" and frankly I fail to see how any sporting occasion could possibly change the world, so to speak. The Olympics were a success on just about every level I agree (even though I have never really taken too much interest in the past as it's far to general for me - give me the world cup and football in general any day) and therefore it is something that, as a nation, we should be justifiably proud, but what are people expecting will happen because of it?
I heard people talking on t.v. about the thousands of volunteers who helped to make it a success (and indeed they did) and couldn't we encourage more volunteering in our society because of it. The answer to that is, I think, an unequivocal no! People, in the main I think, volunteered for the Olympics because of the status of the games and the desire to "be involved" with it. Ask these self-same people to go back to their own communities and volunteer to sweep the streets or clean up the environment generally and I think you would get a swift "no". Because there is no glamour in it!!
The Olympics was a success and our athletes (I refuse to use the term "team GB" as it is an awful Americanism that we could better do without) did exceptionally well, but that is where it ends.
There is no legacy (except possibly that if you invest heavily enough in sport something will come out of the other end of the pipe).
although i agree with some of your post, and although i can see the point you are trying to make regarding "the glamour" of the olympics, i think it would be a more fair assumption, that those that did volunteer would go back to their community and do more volunteer work, as they probably did prior to the olympics. The majority of people who volunteer for this kind of work enjoy it, and "get bit by the bug", in my humble opinion
churchfcrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 16:02   #6
God Member

Hopefully the improvements to some areas of London and its infrastructure will leave a mark for the local citizens.

I was glad the olympics were on this summer -enjoyed them immensely and thought that as a whole they showed what Britain is good at. Similarly the para-olympics -nothing bad has come out of either event and I think and they will be remembered in a positive light -hopefully a "good" memory for many of the nation's younger members - among a depressing period of doom and gloom and "bad" news all around.

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 16:46   #7
Give, give, give member

It's been no more jingoistic than any other international sporting competition.

Might write the odd good ditty, but Morrissey's a fool.

Some of what I've seen this summer at the Games was very moving, and showed off the best human qualities there are. Mainly that effort, self-discipline, steely grit, and determination are great qualities to possess.

Was it worth all the extraordinary expense? Not in my opinion.

Will the supposed national 'feel good' factor last? No.

Am I glad I got to watch it, and was I moved to tears by the efforts of better people than myself, especially in the Paralympics?

Yes.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 17:04   #8
God Member

Wouldn't go so far as to say it has "changed my world" but have felt priveleged and very moved at times to see the sheer grit and determination shown by the athletes of all nations, especially the paralympians.
It does put into perspective our own ailments IMHO and have got to say it did make me proud to be British.
Old 10-09-2012, 17:08   #9
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Pity he hasn't surfaced on Accyweb. His kneejerk reactions would fit right in in some places.
Has Morrissey also shared strong opinions, on the question of electromagnetic pollution?

Must have missed that, and I don't miss much.

Was just about to spread some puke coloured karma, seeing as I agreed with the first part of your post, and the fact it could perhaps be seen as wiping the slate clean, but for the slight thread wander, I'll have to wait for a more suitable post...hopefully.

Back to the thread.

The Games.

We used to have gold awards for excellence in various catagories on here.

If I'm not mistaken I was the only double gold winner, two years running.

Think they were for excellence in pointing out minor cases of hypocrisy, in those who deny it...and excellent use made of a sense of humour on the forum.

Old 10-09-2012, 17:16   #10
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
It does put into perspective our own ailments IMHO
Totally agree.

It's a bit pat to say, and much used.

Though there is always someone in a worse position than any of us.

When those people then go on to achieve such great feats of excellence, it's a grounding reality check, as well as inspirational.

Old 10-09-2012, 17:23   #11
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
Hopefully the improvements to some areas of London and its infrastructure will leave a mark for the local citizens.

I was glad the olympics were on this summer -enjoyed them immensely and thought that as a whole they showed what Britain is good at. Similarly the para-olympics -nothing bad has come out of either event and I think and they will be remembered in a positive light -hopefully a "good" memory for many of the nation's younger members - among a depressing period of doom and gloom and "bad" news all around.

Old Teabag's cardboard box has now trebled in value, because of all the regeneration in the East End.

He's an undoubted winner...in this at least.

Old 10-09-2012, 17:37   #12
Resting in Peace

To be honest I got more out of the games especially the Paralympics, than I could every get out of that useless clown Morrissey
Old 10-09-2012, 17:51   #13
Give, give, give member

'This comes just a week after he criticised the Olympics on stage in Manchester – for not including the Smiths in the opening ceremony'

Morrissey attacks 'blustering jingoism' of Olympic Games | Music | guardian.co.uk

10's across the board from all the judges.

For his performance in the 'Best Manc twit sulking upstairs in his bedroom' competition.

Old 11-09-2012, 00:07   #14
Senior Member+

Mmm I understand where Morrisey is coming from - why does everything revolve around the Queen and her spawn?

The Olympics is basically a circus and it's influence will wane in time.

I just wonder perhaps if demands on normal disabled people will be too much in the light of those super hero's of the paralympics. Should we judge disabled people generally off the example
shown in this sporting event? I don't think we should!
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:41   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchfcrules View Post
although i agree with some of your post, and although i can see the point you are trying to make regarding "the glamour" of the olympics, i think it would be a more fair assumption, that those that did volunteer would go back to their community and do more volunteer work, as they probably did prior to the olympics. The majority of people who volunteer for this kind of work enjoy it, and "get bit by the bug", in my humble opinion
You could well be right on that. I suppose I'm just a bit cynical in my old age. I still think the majority were in it for the kudos though. Having said that, if you are right I think it may be the only "legacy" to come out of it.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..