Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > General Sport and Hobby Talk > Grass Roots
Donate! Join Today

Grass Roots Do you play or have an interest in local sporting events? Darts, dominoes, rugby, tiddly winks? Talk about it here!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree382Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-11-2016, 22:59   #376
Senior Member+

Re: Metal Detecting (Including Finds).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
She's right!

Is that a G1098 watch & what's with the swastika & cap badges?
The picture does it no justice

Not sure what the names of the watches are,the swastika (sterling silver) badge and artillery cap badge were found on the same field (within 30ft of each other).

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 19-11-2016, 11:37   #377
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

The wrist watch furthest left looks similar to an Army issued model (G1098), articles to the left of & above the artillery cap badge also appear to be cap badges & the swastika looks to have an embellishment in the centre. Hard to say as the picture seems out of focus on enlargement.

Only asking as I am that cat.
Old 19-11-2016, 14:07   #378
Senior Member+

It looks a bit "tat" for it to be army issue:-

image.jpeg

password--Accyweb
Old 19-11-2016, 14:14   #379
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
Only asking as I am that cat.

For you (looks like dirt ) :-

image.jpg

password--Accyweb
Old 19-11-2016, 17:55   #380
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accyexplorer View Post
For you (looks like dirt ) :-
Thanks for that mate, the watch was timex so not military & the cap badges were from the Lancs & RAC. No other markings visible on the swazi so presuming it's more hindu as hun.
Old 19-11-2016, 22:18   #381
I am Banned

Quote:
I decided to make a display case to house some of my findings,Mrs E said "it's crap".....I like it

Attachment 54765
Youd best mek shure that .303 is a dead one, if ids a live round no matter what its state, if that lot int new shop on Broadway see it, thal ev tu sell thi rubbish finder tu pay thy fine, thats if they let thee out on bail, read the latest fire arms act, they've even arrested kids wi cap guns.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2016, 21:43   #382
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Youd best mek shure that .303 is a dead one, if ids a live round no matter what its state, if that lot int new shop on Broadway see it, thal ev tu sell thi rubbish finder tu pay thy fine, thats if they let thee out on bail, read the latest fire arms act, they've even arrested kids wi cap guns.
I'm flattered by your concerns R,but don't worry it's safe,it's off a keyring I believe.
I have come across quite a few shells tho while using my "rubbish finder"

password--Accyweb
Old 27-11-2016, 19:38   #383
Senior Member+

Well,I managed to get out today,I wanted to conduct an analysis of the land on a new permission which I managed to secure last week.
I was only suppose to spend a hour giving it a quick going over with the detecting stick but I ended up staying 3.5hrs

I had a few notable bits including a toy cannon,a cap badge (unsure on the regiment) and a Nigerian one penny (never seen one before).

image.jpg
Stevie R and Turtle like this.

password--Accyweb
Old 27-11-2016, 20:33   #384
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
a cap badge (unsure on the regiment)
Looks to be an "East Lancs" cap badge & your cases appear to be (top to bottom) 7.62 blank, 303 blank (possibly still live), 5.56 fired & 22 fired, you've also got an old penknife there by the look of it. A good days rooting it seems.
Accyexplorer likes this.

Last edited by DaveinGermany; 27-11-2016 at 20:37.
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2016, 22:00   #385

Very interesting I showed this photo to Himself (who hunted bear before he met me and was also in the militia here in Canada) and he thinks the top one is a dum/dum (whoever had it cut the bullet in half, not all the way through, so that when it hit, it would shatter and be devastating). The one down from that has a crimped front end which means it's probably a blank. The one down from that is just a shell casing - has been fired and looks like a .303 (or 7.62 NATO) The one below that is a fired .22 Long Rifle casing (he knows nothing about he coins but enjoyed seeing these
Accyexplorer likes this.
Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2016, 23:03   #386
Senior Member+

Cheers for the info,my question is this,why are there so many bullets in the ground...IRA,modern day criminals or something less sinister?

I hear cordite,which is allegedly what is in some WW bullets, is illegal in any amount....does this mean I risk arrest if I hand them into the police?

password--Accyweb
Old 28-11-2016, 12:56   #387
I am Banned

Quote:
Cheers for the info,my question is this,why are there so many bullets in the ground...IRA,modern day criminals or something less sinister?

I hear cordite,which is allegedly what is in some WW bullets, is illegal in any amount....does this mean I risk arrest if I hand them into the police?
Do you mean bullets or cartridges, bullets can be found all theover the Coppice and Moleside The used to be a range at Hapton which was closed as dangerous, ricochets went all over the place from there, Live ammo on the slopes near Moleside, yes it was a military area during the last war, as for cordite, that has been used in British small arms military ammo since 1892, as cordite 5/2 5/100 th's OD / 2/100 th's ID. Its tubular, cordite is a mixture of Nitro Glycerine & Guncotton with a 5% vaseline base added for lubrication. there are 37 sticks of it in a .303, it was also used in blanks but called ballistite, flaked cordite was also used in the Webly .38 & .455, cordite was also used in ships guns, large bags of it rammed in behind the shell. You can put cordite on the flags an thump it all day wit a hammer an nowt will happen, put a match to it and it burns like celluloid, you can even eat it, an nowt will happen other than your ticker races abit. Nitro is used for some heart problems

Last edited by Retlaw; 28-11-2016 at 12:59.
Old 28-11-2016, 17:17   #388
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle View Post
he thinks the top one is a dum/dum (Most definitely not it's a NATO 7.62 blank, which has been fired giving it the "Split look") The one down from that has a crimped front end which means it's probably a blank. (There we can agree, but the calibre is .303) The one down from that is just a shell casing - has been fired and looks like a .303 (or 7.62 NATO)(Have to correct you there, it's "Shouldered" & with just a quick glance at the above round it's clear they are different calibres, my assumption NATO 5.56) The one below that is a fired .22 Long Rifle casing (Finally in complete agreement with the last one)
Sorry to disagree with your Old Fella on the munitions thing Turtle, but after years in the Air Cadets & getting the chance to live fire Enfields .303 & 22. Conversions (1970's), then joining the Army, firing SLR's (also in .22 conversion mode), GPMG's, Browning 9mm, Smg's & finally the much maligned SA 80 through my time in the "Big Green drinking machine" (1980's-1990's) we certainly picked up some brass, sorted & weighed it over the years you tend to recognise various casings. And to keep my eye in, we often go walking over the old training areas with the hound & we're forever finding discarded casings.
Turtle likes this.
Old 28-11-2016, 19:02   #389
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle View Post
Very interesting I showed this photo to Himself (who hunted bear before he met me and was also in the militia here in Canada) and he thinks the top one is a dum/dum (whoever had it cut the bullet in half, not all the way through, so that when it hit, it would shatter and be devastating). The one down from that has a crimped front end which means it's probably a blank. The one down from that is just a shell casing - has been fired and looks like a .303 (or 7.62 NATO) The one below that is a fired .22 Long Rifle casing (he knows nothing about he coins but enjoyed seeing these
Sorry Turtle, but like D in G I'm going to have to correct you, there is no such thing as a DUM Dum bullet, the first .303 round that had a hollow point was the Mk III followed by the IV & V, they very soon became outlawed, and are now collectors items, I did have a MkIII at one time, Those bullets came about by a British officer seeing men in the front line in the wars in India rubbing the noses of MKII on rocks to expose the lead antimony core, they recckoned it stopped some of the fanatical tribesmen quicker some could take several rounds of 303 before they dropped, so the officer went back to his place of work to experiment, he worked at Dum Dum Arsenal in India. All that guff about Dum Dum bullets was popularised by hollywood, there were several bullets create around that myth, but if yu look in Cartridges of the World you will see them by their proper names. A MkIII fired at 100 yards into pig meat, would make an exit wound the size of 1/2 crown, if it hit bone on its way thro you could put your fist in the exit wound. ---- Many men got court martialed for damage to their rifles, because to much exposure of the core, and the bullet jacket got stuck in the bore, next round split the barrel and could kill the men next to him.
Turtle likes this.

Last edited by Retlaw; 28-11-2016 at 19:08.
Old 29-11-2016, 20:47   #390

Thank you Dave and Retlaw - I guess he doesn't know as much as he thinks, Hahhah.
Stevie R likes this.
Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..