Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2011, 12:51   #16
Junior Member+

Re: Request for pics / info

omg I am sooo embarassed - i had not checked this post for ages, and I find Atarah has posted the pic I was craving - thankyou so much, and Willow - voila one porch! It was obviously taken a long time ago - tram lines are still there and there are no buildings on Lime Road, which may date the pic a little more accurately.
wilky188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 08-07-2011, 19:52   #17

I remember going in the 60's/70's to see Mr Cookson and one day after he retired went to see A Mr Murray. Found out when I sat down that he was Graeme Murray who I went to Accy college with and hadn't seen for years. As an aside as a child in the 50's I remember my mother taking me to a dentist on Blackburn Road near to the Sacred Heart which I hated. I remember having the rubber mask over my face when I was put under anasthetic and have hated it ever since, the smell still haunts me. Anyone know the name of the dentist?
claytonheath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 21:07   #18
Senior Member+

Cant remember the name of the dentist - but I will. I bet you are talking about the one who had a surgery on Blackburn Road, on the block between Tremellen St and Park Road. The terraced row that has little gardens at the front. The dentist was the uncle of a good friend of mine, I remember her telling me about him.
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 19:23   #19

Thanks, thats the one, from what I remember the dentist was good, just the old gas mask that put me oof.
claytonheath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2013, 19:59   #20
Junior Member+

Having grown up on Whalley Road I cannot believe that is the same building!! What a brilliant picture
TheWatsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2013, 20:25   #21

Used this dentist all my life with Mr Donnelly until they all retired and you took over and made it a private practice. Its hard work finding an NHS dentist nowadays its a joke.
Shurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2013, 22:19   #22

What a fantastic picture. I grew up on Lime Road and Dr Donnelly was my dentist! I too had a horrid time with the gas mask! The smell never quite leaves you does it... its making my teeth ache just thinking about it!!!
bekibird is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..