Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2007, 17:18   #31
Beacon of light

Re: memories

Ooh, I used to work in the Peel Street shop......we used to get our potted meat sent down from the Stanley Street shop. This would be about 1963.
I liked Tom Slinger.....his brother John used to try to get me to go out with him....but I wouldn't do. Work and personal relationships never mix very well, and I wanted to hang onto my job......my family depended on my wage (dad was sick at the time). Isn't it a small world?
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 10-07-2007, 17:21   #32
Resident Waffler

Slight thread wander about butchers - does anybody remember Amos on Cambridge St? (Corner of Water St) and Joss? We used to get our meat from there and I remember asking for bacon to be 'cut on number 8'

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 17:23   #33
Beacon of light

I can remember being sent into the Market Hall one day when we had had a run on pork sausages......I was kind of sweet on one of the young lads on the stall......he was a couple of years older than me. He gave me the tray of sausages,wrapped up and when my hands were full he dropped something into my pocket and winked at me.......I was over the moon. When I got back to the Peel St shop (blushing like mad at my impure thoughts) I plonked down the sausages on the counter and delved into my pocket.....to find that the lousy blighter had dropped a pigs eye into my pocket......no wonder he winked.
Strange, I went right off him after that!

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 10-07-2007 at 17:24. Reason: wireless keyboard.....grrrr.
Old 10-07-2007, 17:27   #34
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I can remember being sent into the Market Hall one day when we had had a run on pork sausages......I was kind of sweet on one of the young lads on the stall......he was a couple of years older than me. He gave me the tray of sausages,wrapped up and when my hands were full he dropped something into my pocket and winked at me.......I was over the moon. When I got back to the Peel St shop (blushing like mad at my impure thoughts) I plonked down the sausages on the counter and delved into my pocket.....to find that the lousy blighter had dropped a pigs eye into my pocket......no wonder he winked.
Strange, I went right off him after that!
Margaret.....I'm not going to make any suggestions on who that might have been..........I would get into trouble again.

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 17:51   #35
Beacon of light

I wish you would, because I have been scratching my head trying to remember who it was.......I couldn't really have been that sweet on him, could I?
Incidentally I remember all the butchers stalls that you mentioned.
Old 10-07-2007, 17:55   #36
Beacon of light

Oh, and by the way....my impure thoughts were not impure by todays standard....I was only wondering what it would be like to be kissed by him.
I never found out. But some years later I did find out that he was going to ask me out....but he got the cold shoulder after the 'Pigs Eye' incidents.....so it was kind of 'in a pigs eye'.
Old 10-07-2007, 18:10   #37
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I wish you would, because I have been scratching my head trying to remember who it was.......I couldn't really have been that sweet on him, could I?
Incidentally I remember all the butchers stalls that you mentioned.
I don't know but it would not surprise me if John had suggested it........He was a bit of a Jack the Lad.
There were others that I have not mentioned: Reg Gorton, Melville Ingham,
Reggie Watkinson, Suttons. Jack Lomax and Lens (Cooked meats).
I had the honour of knowing Johnny Nolan.

Old 10-07-2007, 18:26   #38
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
Don't remember that one
was top of the block past the Dyers n Finishers, with the Stanley Arms on next corner across washington street.
Old 10-07-2007, 18:35   #39
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
was top of the block past the Dyers n Finishers, with the Stanley Arms on next corner across washington street.
Now I've got you Margaret jogged the mem a bit when she mentioned potted meat. We sold them heads and tongues.
Did'nt Walter Marriot have his cooked meat factory somewhere up there?

Old 10-07-2007, 18:43   #40
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
Slight thread wander about butchers - does anybody remember Amos on Cambridge St? (Corner of Water St) and Joss? We used to get our meat from there and I remember asking for bacon to be 'cut on number 8'
Remember, but my mum used to send me to the one on Norfolk Street or sometimes Dixons on Addisons/Maudsley Street.

Gosh, knew all these mentioned and the families .. were a lot, weren't there..
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 18:49   #41
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
Now I've got you Margaret jogged the mem a bit when she mentioned potted meat. We sold them heads and tongues.
Did'nt Walter Marriot have his cooked meat factory somewhere up there?
yep places are much easier to get too by pubs n clubs not sure where marriots was,n katex Billy Dixons was corner Addison/Dowry.
Old 10-07-2007, 18:56   #42
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
yep places are much easier to get too by pubs n clubs not sure where marriots was,n katex Billy Dixons was corner Addison/Dowry.
I stand corrected sir. Always did get those two streets mixed up .. not you though, eh...
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 19:00   #43
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
I stand corrected sir. Always did get those two streets mixed up .. not you though, eh...
only cos i lived on one n me nans was on the other.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..