Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2008, 14:25   #1
Senior Member+

Opening Of Drill Hall By General Baden-Powell

I found this video while searching Youtube. I have no idea about it, however i thought some members of this forum might be intrested in this so i thote id post the video:

fc:stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 10-07-2008, 15:28   #2
I am Banned

Re: Opening Of Drill Hall By General Baden-Powell

Picture of the Ambulance men giving a demonstration of their skills.

Retlaw.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ambulance Drill Hall.a.jpg (66.3 KB, 33 views)
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 16:15   #3
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

nice one fcstanley.
Old 10-07-2008, 17:23   #4
God Member

good film , would be interested to know if Accrington was an 'an independant' town in those days , i.e. were all the police and firemen shown in the film from Accrington Borough ,
another thought came to me ......who would be classed as Accrington society these days ?
well done fc:stanley
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 21:21   #5
I am Banned

Yes Accington had been a borough since 1878.
If you look closely at the film, you will see the Firemen wearing brass helmets, then you will see some wearing silver helmets, they are the chiefs. As Accrington had only one at the time, Joseph Barnes, the other chiefs could have been from Church, Clayton & Oswaldtwistle, also H & B's had their own fire brigade as did Steiners, same with the police and the bands. Church had its own police court in them, days.

Retlaw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
good film , would be interested to know if Accrington was an 'an independant' town in those days , i.e. were all the police and firemen shown in the film from Accrington Borough ,
another thought came to me ......who would be classed as Accrington society these days ?
Old 11-07-2008, 16:23   #6
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
Most of the 'police' shown in the film are in fact members of the East Lancs Regiment. Police, then as now, did not normally carry rifles while on parade. The helmet of the East lancs regiment was then very similar to a police helmet.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 17:28   #7
God Member

great piece of footage there Lee, i wonder how many accywebbers relatives where in that film?
flashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 19:49   #8
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
Most of the 'police' shown in the film are in fact members of the East Lancs Regiment. Police, then as now, did not normally carry rifles while on parade. The helmet of the East lancs regiment was then very similar to a police helmet.
If you look closely at the film you will see they are carrying rifles.
They are what was later refered to as the Long Lee Enfield, first introduced into the British Army in November 1895, behind them are the cadet force they are carrying converted Martini Henry Rifles.

Retlaw
Old 12-07-2008, 15:48   #9
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
If you look closely at the film you will see they are carrying rifles.
They are what was later refered to as the Long Lee Enfield, first introduced into the British Army in November 1895, behind them are the cadet force they are carrying converted Martini Henry Rifles.

Retlaw
You are not making yourself very clear, Retlaw. Who is carrying rifles? Certainly, there are no policemen carrying rifles. Because of the obvious absence of colour in the film we cannot see the red tunics of the East Lancs Regiment. However,while the police and soldiers helmets may initially be hard to distinguish, their respective button and other dress arrangements are not.

I think the best part of the film is that of the young lad in the background who obviously got bored by the all proceeding and decided to clamber up the front of the town hall.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 20:05   #10
I am Banned

I thought it would be obvious the police wouldn't be carrying rifles.
Near the middle of the film are the East Lancs in dress uniform, with the Long Lee Enfields, and near the end are the Cadets with the Martini Henry's. At the rear are the local Fire Brigades,
Retlaw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
You are not making yourself very clear, Retlaw. Who is carrying rifles? Certainly, there are no policemen carrying rifles. Because of the obvious absence of colour in the film we cannot see the red tunics of the East Lancs Regiment. However,while the police and soldiers helmets may initially be hard to distinguish, their respective button and other dress arrangements are not.

I think the best part of the film is that of the young lad in the background who obviously got bored by the all proceeding and decided to clamber up the front of the town hall.

Last edited by Retlaw; 12-07-2008 at 20:12.
Old 14-07-2008, 17:25   #11

Cracking bit of film. Not a tracksuit in site either.
ChrisMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2008, 00:24   #12
Junior Member+

I found this film on the opening of Accrington Drill Home whilst researching my grandfather who was a policeman in Accrington at that time. Thankyou. My grandfather was called William Pickles Mawdsley and I would be interested to hear if anyone knew of him. My father was a fireman in Accrington called Lawrence Mawdsley and I would love to hear from anyone who knew him. Thanks Joan Walsh
joan walsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2008, 09:59   #13
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Yes Accington had been a borough since 1878.
If you look closely at the film, you will see the Firemen wearing brass helmets, then you will see some wearing silver helmets, they are the chiefs. As Accrington had only one at the time, Joseph Barnes, the other chiefs could have been from Church, Clayton & Oswaldtwistle, also H & B's had their own fire brigade as did Steiners, same with the police and the bands. Church had its own police court in them, days.

Retlaw.
My granddad as Fire Chief at Steiners for a long time Retlaw, used to have some photos of him, but don't know were they went to
Old 23-09-2008, 13:08   #14
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by joan walsh View Post
I found this film on the opening of Accrington Drill Home whilst researching my grandfather who was a policeman in Accrington at that time. Thankyou. My grandfather was called William Pickles Mawdsley and I would be interested to hear if anyone knew of him. My father was a fireman in Accrington called Lawrence Mawdsley and I would love to hear from anyone who knew him. Thanks Joan Walsh
I worked with your dad during the 1950's, Lol Maudsley, George Yeoman, Whacker Duckworth, Tom Clegg, Harry Swindlehurst, Slobber Sutton and others.
I think Lol also had a brother in the police force.
Retlaw.
Old 24-09-2008, 12:14   #15
Senior Member+

Joan id put this info also on the lost relatives section , would probably help you find more people who knew him

fc:stanley is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..