Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2009, 13:19   #16
Senior Member+

Re: Where was this photo taken???

cmee - email it to Accrington Local studies library. Catherine the librarian is very knowledgeable on the Abbey.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 11-02-2009, 14:24   #17
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
cmee - email it to Accrington Local studies library. Catherine the librarian is very knowledgeable on the Abbey.
Thanks, Bob, a good idea. In fact the first time I met Catherine, at a day school some years back, we were in Whalley Abbey! (But I don't remember it well enough to recognise it from the photo...).
cmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2009, 15:22   #18
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
Catherine has come up trumps! It IS Whalley Abbey, and shows a view of the East Front and Oratory.
Thanks to everyone, Bob and Catherine especially.
Old 13-02-2009, 15:41   #19

I was convinced too, just couldn't figure the location!!
Will have to try and get a similar pic to compare,

churchman phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2009, 15:43   #20
Senior Member+

"It isn't what you know, but who you know " - there was never a truer word spoken. In this case, it had little to do with me, but with Catherine knowing the vicar.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2009, 18:04   #21
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmee View Post
Catherine has come up trumps! It IS Whalley Abbey, and shows a view of the East Front and Oratory.
Thanks to everyone, Bob and Catherine especially.
Hurrah!

Though no hurrah for me for being wrong.

It would be interesting if someone could reproduce the photograph now, as I'm still at a loss as to it's exact location.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2009, 19:35   #22
God Member

Me too! Is a lovely building though.
Old 18-02-2009, 03:37   #23
Senior Member+

Hi CMEE, I think we have corresponded in the past.
nice to see the photo of your famous Blake family home. You of course know it was designed by the well known architect Walter Brierley. Do you know that Haworth Art Gallery, originally known as "Hollins Hill", was also designed in 1909 by the Yorkshire architect Walter Brierley i.e. Haworth Art Gallery is 100 years old this year.

Atarah
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2009, 08:38   #24
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
nice to see the photo of your famous Blake family home. You of course know it was designed by the well known architect Walter Brierley. Do you know that Haworth Art Gallery, originally known as "Hollins Hill", was also designed in 1909 by the Yorkshire architect Walter Brierley i.e. Haworth Art Gallery is 100 years old this year.

Atarah
For anyone new who might be interested, this is the thread relating to Walter Brierley.

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...gton-2161.html

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2009, 09:54   #25
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post

Atarah
Yes, Atarah, we have corresponded, at some length! I did know that the Art Gallery was designed by Brierley, but not that it was celebrating its centenary this year. I am retiring soon, so maybe I'll have time to come over to Accrington for more Blake, Fox, Roberts, and Greensill family history research!
Old 11-03-2009, 21:31   #26

I didnt realise the mystery pic had been identified .... i was going to say it reminded me of the grounds at clitherooe castle ... DUH.... but what do i know lol

Last edited by jooles; 11-03-2009 at 21:36. Reason: got it wrong
jooles is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..