Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-08-2011, 09:46   #1
I am Banned

Air raid shelter

Hello, iv read on previous threads about an air raid shelter on Rileys hill. Iv always lived in that area and am fascinated by this. Could someone tell me were it actually was, thanks
groove is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 26-08-2011, 10:12   #2
I am Banned

Re: Air raid shelter

well.....thanks for your help (said in a sarcastic manner)....is this information classified under the M.O.D official secrets act, or is it that im not part of the older generation type of clique on here that delight in putting other people correct. Iv read this forum for years now and as an amateur historian fascinated by local history delight in hearing about Accringtons history so i thank you for that....Anyway, were was this bleeding air raid shelter, i cant wait to tell my mates in the pub about it as local history is a subject we regularly discuss haha. Thankyou, GROOVE
Old 26-08-2011, 10:25   #3
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Probably no-one that knows has read it yet, yeh just shot yerself in the foot i reckon.
Old 26-08-2011, 10:31   #4
I am Banned

Well i apologise for that and hope it doesnt deter any replys...got up on wrong side of bed. Sorry guys, was said in jest really but came out wrong
Old 26-08-2011, 17:53   #5
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Use the search option from the headers & you'll find this,

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...r+raid+shelter

well at least it's a start.
Old 26-08-2011, 18:31   #6
I am Banned

Cheers Dave, interesting thread that but still no info on the Rileys hill one...sure someone will know in time...thanks again
Old 26-08-2011, 19:50   #7
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdm27 View Post
Does anyone remember the huge air raid shelter that was placed under Rileys Hill. Back in the late 60's bad weather washed away earth covering a corner so of course we managed to break into it!!!! You had to take candles or a tourch and walked in a huge circle to get back to the entrance. As per normal this onley lasted for a short while as the council came and covered it again!!!!!
http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...h-47540-5.html

gdm27 knows.

But doesn't give an exact location.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2011, 19:55   #8
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Or there's also this.

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...ecoy+airfields
Old 26-08-2011, 21:02   #9
Senior Member+

In my opinion, Riley's Hill is near the junction of Nuttall St & Bath St, at the back of what was Highams' Woodnook Mill. Riley St is at the top of the hill. It is likely so called because the Riley family owned land there, at the very edge of Royd's land which covered most of Woodnook. Near to this site - I don;'t know exactly where the shelter was -is a triangular piece of land between Bath St, Nuttall St & Marsden St which was called 'The Flat Iron'
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2011, 22:00   #10

Is this the hill that has 2 paths running across it? The first running from the bottom of Marsden St, across the lower part of the hill to the bottom of the allotments. The second running from the rear of Marsden St, up to the houses and back onto the dirt track further up?
odders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2011, 22:05   #11
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
In my opinion, Riley's Hill is near the junction of Nuttall St & Bath St, at the back of what was Highams' Woodnook Mill. Riley St is at the top of the hill. It is likely so called because the Riley family owned land there, at the very edge of Royd's land which covered most of Woodnook. Near to this site - I don;'t know exactly where the shelter was -is a triangular piece of land between Bath St, Nuttall St & Marsden St which was called 'The Flat Iron'
Quote:
Originally Posted by odders View Post
Is this the hill that has 2 paths running across it? The first running from the bottom of Marsden St, across the lower part of the hill to the bottom of the allotments. The second running from the rear of Marsden St, up to the houses and back onto the dirt track further up?
yep thats were it is, though don't know about the shelter, theres a member that was born up yon, so if she sees this, she should know.
Old 26-08-2011, 22:12   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
yep thats were it is, though don't know about the shelter, theres a member that was born up yon, so if she sees this, she should know.
Cheers cashman, thought I remembered the name of the place, same here never heard of a shelter there. I hope gdm27 sees this also.

Last edited by odders; 26-08-2011 at 22:14.
odders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2011, 05:42   #13
God Member

bit of a wander .. but remember (being an Arroder) there used to be an Air Raid shelter /Pill-box on the Arrod side of the Cock Bridge ( River Calder/Hyndburn) opposite the Game Cock pub until the 60s ... maybe they thought the NAZI invasion of Hyndburn/Greater Accrington would be from Whalley/Clitheroe
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2011, 07:57   #14
Beacon of light

I am that member........way back in the distant past I do remember hearing it discussed.....and I think my brothers made a concerted effort to find it.
I was never allowed on these seach sorties.......they knew I would tell Ma and they would get their bottoms warmed if they did find it and went in.
So, yes....it was supposed to be there, but we never found it. I think the lads got bored with the fruitless search.
I will seek confirmation when I next speak to Ma.

Thanks Cashy for pointing me in the direction of this thread.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2011, 08:11   #15
I am Banned

Smile Re: Air raid shelter

Thanks everyone for your replys...it was GDM27's post that first alerted me to this so hopefully he will come on and see this thread...thanks again

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..