Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-02-2014, 06:07   #16
Senior Member+

Re: Lancashire cotton folk in Amercia

Hi nice to hear from you. Keep enjoying your searching, that's the main thing!
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 06-03-2014, 06:13   #17
Senior Member+

Lancashire cotton folk in Amercia

Hi Kriselk. hope you are well and looking forward to coming to England. I have recently found this short video of Lowell, but I think you should find it rather interesting. (if of course you CAN watch it over there)
kriselk likes this.
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 15:35   #18

i also had family in the cottontrade from Blackburn who went to Pawtucket during the 1880's
kriselk likes this.
Old 11-03-2014, 23:35   #19
Junior Member+

Hi Atarah,
Yes, I've re-enrolled in the Lancashire History group (was in it a few years back). Prior to emigrating the Evans family was living in Oswaldtwistle. I've been enjoying that FB site as well.
kriselk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 23:44   #20
Junior Member+

Thanks for sharing this video. The youngest daughter of my gggrandparents Evans left Fall River and went to work in the mills in Lowell. She died unmarried at age 40.
And coincidentally, my husband's grandmother was born in Lowell.
Old 12-03-2014, 00:26   #21
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Mick View Post
I have relations, in fact a stray who turned up in Fall River and looking through the census records there were a large amount of people arriving from East Lancashire. For Facebook types, here is a good link
https://www.facebook.com/FallRiverHistoryClub
thanks for sharing this Fall River History group site.
Old 12-03-2014, 07:57   #22
Full Member+

No problem!
Old 12-03-2014, 18:17   #23
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriselk View Post
Hi Atarah,
Yes, I've re-enrolled in the Lancashire History group (was in it a few years back). Prior to emigrating the Evans family was living in Oswaldtwistle. I've been enjoying that FB site as well.

Please tell us how to find the Lancashire History group.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2014, 00:06   #24
Senior Member+

My maternal grandparents emigrated to South Carolina in the 1890s but he was a Quarry Master, however I met up with a couple of chaps from Rochdale/Oldham area who were in the cotton trade, that was in Greenville, Sth Carolina. I was told that there were quite a number of East Lancs expats in Sth Carolina working in the textile industry.
Old 18-03-2014, 15:52   #25

In 1910, the year my father William Hadfield was born, his sister Beatrice married a chap called John Hadfield, with Beatrice already having the surname of Hadfield she did not have to change her name.
They came from Ashton under lyne and emigrated to Pawtucket in the same year, My older brother once told me that she became interested in local politics and became known as "The Grand Lady of New England", although I cannot find any reference to that title anywhere. maybe one of our friends from the U.S.A. could enlighten me on this. Yours Taddy.
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 10:17   #26
Full Member+

We have links in our Hodgkinson family tree with Fall River MS. They were originally from Grindleton and part of the family emigrated to Fall River and other family members settled in the Haslingden/Rising Bridge area.

We found a picture of a Hodgkinson grave in Fall River Cemetery and made contact with a family member but as yet we have not had any further information from them.

http://www.studiosoft.co.uk

Family History - Can you help to fill in the gaps? - http://www.hodgkinsonclark.co.uk
Hodgkinson, Clark, Baxter, Gardner, Spilman, Ward, Lofthouse, Fowler, Westwell
Morecambe Ex Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 20:08   #27
Junior Member+

I know this is an older post but as I'm new to the site its taking me ages to read all the interesting posts.
My GGGrandparents John and Alice Sudders went out to New Jersey in 1844. Great grandfather Joseph was born there but he returned to Accrington ca 1870 with his mother and brother.
Never found out what happened to John but as he had taken out American citizenship he may have fought in the civil war in the 1860's....then again he could have taken another wife or just died of natual causes!
sudders is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..