Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2013, 11:59   #16
Junior Member+

Re: St Annes RC Church

That's interesting information about St. Anne's. If the school was built in 1899, would the land owned by the Hargreaves family simply be fields prior to that? The newer houses across the road probably were not built at that time, but the ones lower down, closer to Plantation St. are older.
JoanR is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 04-01-2013, 12:11   #17
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoanR View Post
That's interesting information about St. Anne's. If the school was built in 1899, would the land owned by the Hargreaves family simply be fields prior to that? The newer houses across the road probably were not built at that time, but the ones lower down, closer to Plantation St. are older.
This 1890 map of Accrington may tell you, Joan. Keep clicking on it to enlarge.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg acceast map.jpg (445.2 KB, 18 views)
Old 04-01-2013, 13:16   #18
Senior Member+

Yes - it was open farmland. I don't know how far the area known as Barnfield extended, but this could have been part of it.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 20:40   #19
Junior Member+

Thanks for posting the map, Susie. The area of St. Anne's and that part of Cobham Rd. (Street) appears to be open fields in 1890. It could be that the Barnfield area covered that whole district if the street names are any indication:Garfield, Limefield, Beaconsfield. I was surprised to see that Sandy Lane wasn't built up then. I thought it was older.
JoanR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 22:36   #20
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoanR View Post
Thanks for posting the map, Susie. The area of St. Anne's and that part of Cobham Rd. (Street) appears to be open fields in 1890. It could be that the Barnfield area covered that whole district if the street names are any indication:Garfield, Limefield, Beaconsfield. I was surprised to see that Sandy Lane wasn't built up then. I thought it was older.
In 1790 all that land was part of Broad Oak Farm, consisting of 39 acres, owned by John Taylor.
In 1828 it is owned by Hargreaves, the area is now 38 acres, none of the meadows or fields had any of the names now associated with the area, ie Barnfield, Limefield, Beaconsfield, Garfield. The 1909 map shows Sandy Lane with more property up to Barnfield St.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..