Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Hints/Tips/Advice
Donate! Join Today

Hints/Tips/Advice Tell everyone your money/time/effort saving hints and tips. Give or ask for advice in any area. Household, decorating, etc.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2007, 00:02   #16
white rabbits

Re: Ants!!!!!

Its only just gone May and we have had lots of flies, we like the windows open all the time because my hubby is bad with his breathing,and he dosent like the areosols,i bought some of those sticky fly papers but they are so ugly, Anybody got any better ideas
Old 05-05-2007, 08:09   #17
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

yeh...... get some spiders!!
Old 05-05-2007, 08:14   #18
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

......or use a fly swat, i tend to be very good with those!

do you live near a dump??
sorry i mean rubbish dump!! or a meat firm?
i seen something like that on the telly and they had a load because of the smells in the area,.....just a thought
come to think of it i only ever had one or two flies up to now
Old 05-05-2007, 14:49   #19
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by panther View Post
i havent had one!!
you got lots of flowers or summat in your house?
No I don't.... I had livingroom window open and back door. But I was sat at the back door so they weren't coming bast me (( I don't remember running lol)).....but I have still had loads in the house.

Miracles do happen!!

slinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 14:58   #20
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

you could have a wasp nest in your house somewhere like the attic or in ya wall, i had some a few year back, only found out cuz they kept being in a certain room, thats how i found em, is there anywhere in particular where they are always at?
if you have a queen in there somewhere you will have lots of wasps
Old 05-05-2007, 17:58   #21
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashytart View Post
well thats false advertising innit
in what way is it false advertising ?
glasgow guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 18:39   #22

buy dethlac from wilkinsons should be where the fly and wasp sprays are
Old 05-05-2007, 19:04   #23
Passed away 25-11-09

If you're plagued by wasps try trapping them. Get an old jam jar and half fill it with water, leaving traces of the jam round the inside of the jar. Cover the neck of the jar with cling film and punch a few holes in it, about 2 centimeters in diameter, and put the jar where the wasps fly around. They will smell the jam and crawl in through the holes in the film to get at it. They never seem able to crawl out again and will eventually drown in the water. I do it every year - it works.
Old 05-05-2007, 19:53   #24
Resting in Peace

Right - now we have sorted the ants and wasps, what am I to do about all those blooming midges that are gathering outside my new French windows .. described in the dictionary as insects with piercing mouthparts for sucking blood ?

Funny thing is, never feel them bite, just the lumps on your scalp later that itch like crazy.

Can't understand why they never bump into each other.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 22:38   #25
Passed away 25-11-09

I once read that it's only the pregnant female midge that bites you - so put 'em on the Pill.

A few years ago my granddaughter called out to me one afternoon as I was in the kitchen, "Nana, there's budgies flying around and they're coming in through the French window." I was a bit nonplussed as the most exotic bird we ever get is the very occasional woodpecker. I went to have a look and saw a load of midges. Easy mistake to make when you're only 4.
Old 06-05-2007, 01:39   #26
Yank in King Art's Court!

I've spent the day sucking up, 409ing, pledgeing, smooshing our lot of ants. Wew've tried everything and still they come. Well finally dragged everything out of the kitchen and nothing goes back until they're ALL gone (or until Cindy and Annie get back from Florida ).

BEA

LancYorkYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 10:03   #27
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by LancYorkYankee View Post
smooshing our lot of ants. Wew've tried everything and still they come.
BEA
You certainly have your fair share of insects out there Brian. Course you built on a swamp aren't you ?

When I lived out there for a little while .. adopted a stray cat, wouldn't let in the house 'til I had de-ticked it (the thought of those always gave me the creeps). Used to put it's food out on the porch and was a race between the cat and the ants. Even though the cat was fast, practically starving, with one eye when he/she came to me, was nearly always a tie, however, don't think the cat minded the extra bit of protein in its plate ..

One morning poured out my breakfact cereal and, yes, you guessed it, out tumbled a whole regiment of ants .. looked in the cupboards and absolutely crawling .. had to throw everything away and go to the local Dollar shop for insecticide. When I was cooking they all decided to drop in the pans .. discovered they were coming in through the extractor over the hob. Couldn't block just had to put the repellent around the outside of the vent .. seemed to work anyway. Actually, they looked much smaller than ants.. so not quite sure what they were.

Loved the glow flies though, even though you had to watch them behind those mosquito shutters.
Old 06-05-2007, 17:40   #28

Wink Re: Ants!!!!!

[quote=katex;420129]Right - now we have sorted the ants and wasps, what am I to do about all those blooming midges that are gathering outside my new French windows .. described in the dictionary as insects with piercing mouthparts for sucking blood ?

try smoking!!!! when i go for a walk down the canal if i light up they don't bother me
lillypad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 18:02   #29
Resting in Peace

[QUOTE=lillypad;420500]
Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Right - now we have sorted the ants and wasps, what am I to do about all those blooming midges that are gathering outside my new French windows .. described in the dictionary as insects with piercing mouthparts for sucking blood ?

try smoking!!!! when i go for a walk down the canal if i light up they don't bother me
Yeh, think you're correct here lillypad .. have tried it (a tip from my former husband who fished) .. and seems to have effect. Trouble is, although am quite a heavy smoker, not a chain smoker .. so the little buggers get me in the end ...

Perhaps could walk about with one of the swinging lamps things like they do in religious festivals
Old 06-05-2007, 20:51   #30
God Member

I do believe that skunk will eat ants ... or that they can be trained to do so. I can send some over.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..