Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Hints/Tips/Advice
Donate! Join Today

Hints/Tips/Advice Tell everyone your money/time/effort saving hints and tips. Give or ask for advice in any area. Household, decorating, etc.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-10-2009, 14:21   #1
Resting in Peace

Home contents insurance.

Have been comparing rates on this as is due for renewal on Friday.

Current insurer .. Direct Line came out at £220.50 (with direct debit £242.55).
On ringing, and hinting was looking around .. they gave me 40% discount !!

Have just changed car insurance due to much better rate from them, (Saga) and did ask for a contents quote at the same time, as you get £30 discount for asking... £53.93 !!! Promise you all the same cover. Excess the same.

Talk about confused.com. Went on this site too .. lives up to its name .. the range from minimum to maximum quotes was ginormous.

Ok .. what are people paying ? No need for any type of 'All Risks' .. no one item worth over £1,000. £50,000 cover and Family Legal cover

Had to laugh, whilst entering details on confused.com .. it flicked me back to a page stating that 'you cannot be a Mrs. if you are divorced .. Uh ? Course I can ... hate Ms.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 20-10-2009, 14:38   #2
God Member

Re: Home contents insurance.

I have recently renewed contents insurance - Direct Line £27.30 for a year!!!!
I suspect that your quote is property and contents, and with more rooms than me, contents element will be more too.
When I renewed, Direct Line were offering 50% discount to new customers, so I switched to them from Co-op.(who wanted about £57 on renewal)

Last edited by MargaretR; 20-10-2009 at 14:43.
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2009, 14:50   #3
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
I have recently renewed contents insurance - Direct Line £27.30 for a year!!!!
I suspect that your quote is property and contents, and with more rooms than me, contents element will be more too.
When I renewed, Direct Line were offering 50% discount to new customers, so I switched to them from Co-op.(who wanted about £57 on renewal)
Thanks Margaret ... well yes, 3-bedroomed semi. No, building is not included !! Still running with Building Society although mortgage now complete, but Buildings Insurance still running until December.

Problem is that insurance companies can only be judged on how good they are if you have a claim, and no experience on this for years. Must admit Direct Line were extremely responsive for claims on my Motor Insurance.

Perhaps I should ask if anyone is paying a lower premium for similar cover and have had good service on a claim .. ?
Old 20-10-2009, 14:52   #4
Senior Member+

My Specialaty (SP)

Main thing IMO is Cover, the price may be cheap just make sure its at least new for old cover, Check the Excess, and make sure the limits are ok.

Also make sure there are no crafty endorsements with regards to security usually they will insist on 5 leaver Mortace deadlocks. (Ok if you have it).

Both of them prices you & Margaret have quoted are cheap.

I Pay around £110.00 for contents only, But I have additional covers, like Legal Cover & Key Cover.
Old 20-10-2009, 14:53   #5
God Member

You will get a better rate for buildings and contents combined.
I got a refund on buildings insurance when I sold my home, so that may well be a way to reduce costs

Old 20-10-2009, 14:57   #6
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***Mr D*** View Post

Main thing IMO is Cover, the price may be cheap just make sure its at least new for old cover, Check the Excess, and make sure the limits are ok.

Also make sure there are no crafty endorsements with regards to security usually they will insist on 5 leaver Mortace deadlocks. (Ok if you have it).

Both of them prices you & Margaret have quoted are cheap.

I Pay around £110.00 for contents only, But I have additional covers, like Legal Cover & Key Cover.
Well, have asked like for like and went through it twice with the Saga lad.
Consume.com (on line)... asked about the locks ... hey ... I am a woman .. hadn't a clue.

Will do some more ringing .. I find it better sometimes, as can ask these questions .. ta.
Old 20-10-2009, 15:04   #7
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Consume.com (on line)... asked about the locks ... hey ... I am a woman .. hadn't a clue.

Will do some more ringing .. I find it better sometimes, as can ask these questions .. ta.
Locks! - I have changed them many times - mortice means inset into the door ie not Yale which are surface mounted.
The higher the number of levers makes them harder to pick.
Most show how many engraved on the plate for you to see.

Old 20-10-2009, 15:16   #8
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Locks! - I have changed them many times - mortice means inset into the door ie not Yale which are surface mounted.
Thought you might take offence at the 'woman' remark .. know you are very enterprising ...

Well, they are not Yale ... those blooming ones where you have to lift up the handle for the key to turn ... are the levers the ones that can be seen on the width ? Is this the 5-mortice thingy ? The're a blooming pain .. if the door gets out of line ... can't shut it ... do have problems at times.
Old 20-10-2009, 15:26   #9
Senior Member+

Quote:

I would forget about consume.com just asking for trouble IMO as its up to you to quote yourself.

If the saga lad said its like for like then if he has seen the policy it should be like for like. and at that price it sounds good.

Quote:
You do get a discount for combining both policies, and if there is a claim that involves both its easier dealing with one company.

Correct, if you open you door it is normally written on the plate how many leavers it is.
Old 20-10-2009, 15:27   #10
Senior Member+

Quote:
Thought you might take offence at the 'woman' remark .. know you are very enterprising ...

Well, they are not Yale ... those blooming ones where you have to lift up the handle for the key to turn ... are the levers the ones that can be seen on the width ? Is this the 5-mortice thingy ? The're a blooming pain .. if the door gets out of line ... can't shut it ... do have problems at times.
Double glazed door them, that will probably be multi locking, should be fine with that.
Old 20-10-2009, 15:37   #11
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***Mr D*** View Post
Double glazed door them, that will probably be multi locking, should be fine with that.
Ah, thanks Mr D ... yes double glazed ... and patio door at the back.

Had no plate .. that is why then.
Old 20-10-2009, 15:51   #12
God Member

Good advice here-
Cheap Home Insurance: Quickly grab 100+ quotes & cashback...

Old 20-10-2009, 21:29   #13

I got them to add the contents insurance to the building insurance for a fiver
wadey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2009, 09:07   #14
Resting in Peace

My contents insurance is about £8 per month new for old and sum insure is £35,000, that's with Lloyds TSB
Old 21-10-2009, 09:18   #15
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
My contents insurance is about £8 per month new for old and sum insure is £35,000, that's with Lloyds TSB
My £27annual is £50,000sworth new for old.
Looks like you are being ripped off Jaysay

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..