Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Tech Talk > Internet Talk
Donate! Join Today

Internet Talk A place to chat about internet goings on...

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-02-2011, 14:11   #16

Re: Bloody McAfee

If anyone uses O2 Broadband then Mcafee is free...

Bargain, £10 a month Broadband free AV....
Bob97531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 28-02-2011, 18:14   #17
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob97531 View Post

When I got my Dell computer it was free for twelve months.

But there is a happy ending to this story with a little help from accyman, he phoned me at lunch time and came up with a normal landline phone number, I rang it and cancelled my account with McAfee and received a full refund, cheers accyman your help was much appreciated
Old 28-02-2011, 19:18   #18
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post

But there is a happy ending to this story with a little help from accyman, he phoned me at lunch time and came up with a normal landline phone number, I rang it and cancelled my account with McAfee and received a full refund, cheers accyman your help was much appreciated
Result John. Glad to hear that you got it sorted.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2011, 23:39   #19
Senior Member+

Quote:
I got an Email from McAfee security yesterday, saying they had automatically take £54.99p from my account (I have no direct debit with them) for updating my subscriptions for 12 months, there was also an Email address to contact if for any reason you wanted to cancel your subscriptions withing 60 days. I sent of an Email asking for a refund as I no longer used there product. This morning they replied saying I should ring their help line were I would be able to cancel my agreement a receive my money back, ps the charge for this services is £1.53 per minute. The cheeky robbing barstewards, no doubt when I ring this number I'll be waiting for ages before I get an answer which could cost more than the bloody repayment
I had problem with McAfee I bought one brand new about a year ago. It only lasted one year before they wanted another £50:00 to carry on the subscription: which is robbery!

Now I downloaded AVG free trial and at least you can see that working as it has pop ups telling you what is going on!
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 08:01   #20
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

have used AVG Free fer about 7 years am more un happy wi it. set it n it does a daily scan.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:34   #21
Beacon of light

maybe the free security systems are better now....but I couldn't go back to one, as I have lost trust and confidence in them.
I save money in lots of other ways...besides,like the advert says 'I'm worth it!'
Old 01-03-2011, 16:19   #22
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
maybe the free security systems are better now....but I couldn't go back to one, as I have lost trust and confidence in them.
I save money in lots of other ways...besides,like the advert says 'I'm worth it!'
Reason i installed it, was a guy who worked at Blackburn Job Center told me they used it, so reasoned its fine fer me.
Old 01-03-2011, 17:41   #23
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
like BullGuard now Margaret can't fault it
Old 01-03-2011, 23:56   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob97531 View Post

I've just been given a laptop to repair by a friend of the family - completely knackered through visiting dubious websites.

(The laptop, not the friend.)

It was being "protected" by McAfee. Not any more...

It's worth pointing out that these a/v programs are as good or bad as each other. The reason I ditched it was from prior experience of how much faster the PC will run after it's deleted.

Studio25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 06:29   #25
Beacon of light

Well try Bullguard...it doesn't slow down the machine and is excellent...you can get a 60 day trial free.......and if you do buy, then the subscription protects 3 machines.......for less than Mc Afee.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:17   #26
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio25 View Post
I've just been given a laptop to repair by a friend of the family - completely knackered through visiting dubious websites.

(The laptop, not the friend.)

It was being "protected" by McAfee. Not any more...

It's worth pointing out that these a/v programs are as good or bad as each other. The reason I ditched it was from prior experience of how much faster the PC will run after it's deleted.
That's exactly why I stopped using Mcafee Studio, it really screwed my laptop up big style, it was a good job I had and extended warranty or it would have cost be a fortune
Old 02-03-2011, 17:48   #27
JCB

Quote:

Please keep that number handy , Jaysay , if you will please . I use McAfee and may need it some time .
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 17:56   #28
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCB View Post
Please keep that number handy , Jaysay , if you will please . I use McAfee and may need it some time .
No probs JCB

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..