Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Lost Friends / Family
Donate! Join Today

Lost Friends / Family Lost friends from the Accrington area? Maybe someone here can help?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-11-2009, 12:45   #16

Re: Anyone remember Chans Chippy in Clayton?

Wow wat a great chippy, ill never forget"Charlie Chan" an his chips curry an a egg on top....did a mean chicken egg foo young too!! ...used to call in on the way back to accy after a night on the lash around clayton!!! long live the albion!!
AngleIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 26-12-2009, 16:46   #17
Junior Member+

used to go here years ago, is it still open?
carole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2009, 12:56   #18

no Carole its been closed for many a year....shame it was an excellent chippy...
Old 27-12-2009, 14:54   #19
Senior Member+

Wife still goes on about the chicken fried rice from there and he has been in Germany for 21 years
Old 28-12-2009, 15:39   #20

I was a regular at Chans until I got something I didn't bargain for...that was over 30 years ago but it still sticks in my mind, I don't think I have been as ill since.
claytonheath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2009, 16:18   #21

Question Re: Anyone remember Chans Chippy in Clayton?

go on then ive gotta know...what was it??...you can pm me if you like
Old 28-12-2009, 17:05   #22

I went to school with Su Le ? Chan at Moorhead, she went out with Dunc Wilkinson they were both about 5 foot lol. sorry Dunc if your reading.
Shurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2009, 16:53   #23

The worst case of food poisoning I have ever had...the place was closed down for a while after that by the health people
claytonheath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2009, 15:58   #24
Senior Member+

Must admit only used it twice, once whilst drunk and second whilst sober....it was awfull!! Certainly wasn't going for the Hatrick!!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 14:02   #25

I think I must have been a 'founder member' customer of Chan's chippy -
you all remember his place was right across the road from 'The Load Of Mischief' (I used to catch the B3 there to get to Blackburn and St Peters where I schooled) There must have been a few envious chip shop owners around at the time especially when he bought his first Jaguar which he always had parked outside the front door -- but what the hell - all the English chippies closed at 10pm or thereabouts and Chan kept serving until the early hours - I'm testimony to that as I used to call in there (at the tender age of 17) on my way back from the TOASTRACK college in Manchester, on the last bus, about 1am!! - for me it was chips, steak pud, mushrooms cooked in his 'special sauce', with a dollop of curry sauce- then;- supplied with wooden fork, scoff and make my way on foot to the bottom end of Clayton where I lived at 28 Warwick Ave - (I can taste it now)
martin01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2014, 15:06   #26
Junior Member+

i went to school with him too always had loads of money!
garydavies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2014, 22:08   #27
God Member

Was a regular at the chinese chippy at Oaklea myself during the 70's/80's - never any problems there...There was a good chippy near to the Greyhound traffic lights too - next to the club with the bust outside -can't remember if it was a Con or Liberal club...

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2014, 07:16   #28

It was a working mens club, always known as the top club (can't remember its real name). My uncle was a member there.
Lost in Cornwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2014, 07:33   #29
Beacon of light

When I was first married, I lived at the bottom of Henry St. We had a communal yard and Chans little boy used to come in our kitchen and ask for cornflakes...he loved them and would eat them like crisps.
I do not remember him being called Stephen.....I think he had a sister too.....I remember them both as smiley faced toddlers.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..