Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Lost Friends / Family
Donate! Join Today

Lost Friends / Family Lost friends from the Accrington area? Maybe someone here can help?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2010, 18:01   #31
Full Member+

Re: Accrington Cavern

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
twas on Castle Street, just below where the tax office is/was. was too classy fer you kate. lol
Not far from 'The Australian', another nefarious hostelry of old Accrington and now long gone.
Stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-04-2010, 18:20   #32
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumped View Post
Not far from 'The Australian', another nefarious hostelry of old Accrington and now long gone.
Yep but the last landladys still batting. or was when i saw her a couple of yrs ago.
Old 05-04-2010, 18:32   #33
Full Member+

Quote:
Yep but the last landladys still batting. or was when i saw her a couple of yrs ago.
Believe there are photographs of both these establishments in one or more of Bob Dobson's publications!

Is it true that bare knuckle fist fights were staged there from time to time, or is it just rumour?
Stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 18:44   #34
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumped View Post
Believe there are photographs of both these establishments in one or more of Bob Dobson's publications!

Is it true that bare knuckle fist fights were staged there from time to time, or is it just rumour?
If there was,was before my time, used to play football on broadway carpark wi the son after school n go back yon after first went in supping in 62.
Old 06-04-2010, 06:36   #35

Tha must av bin still at skoo Cashy, tha must ev sterted early mate. Ah think a wer 15 wen I ed mi ferst pint.
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 07:45   #36
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gilmartin View Post
Tha must av bin still at skoo Cashy, tha must ev sterted early mate. Ah think a wer 15 wen I ed mi ferst pint.
i was al.
Old 06-04-2010, 10:06   #37
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Johnny kidd appeared at the vic, he died in 66, never at cavern to best of my knowledge.
I can remember him at the Vic, but like you cashy can't ever remember him at the Cavern,
Old 06-04-2010, 10:08   #38
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gilmartin View Post
Bloody Hell Alan you were a late starter weren't you mate
Old 07-04-2010, 06:25   #39

Yea that was first real pint in a pub, not talking about up the backs, and on cut bank an all that. probably 13 or 14 then.
Old 14-06-2015, 00:17   #40

I remember the Accrington Cavern I played there with a new band from Blackburn called Freewheelin' after a Bob Dylan Album. With me Dave Robinson John Shepherd Dave Mc Garry and Ronnie Riley. We came on first, aFollowed by a great band Wynder K Frog who then had an old school pal from Blackburn and brilliant drummer Ian Cooper. The final band that night was Alex Corners Blues Incorporated. A really great night from what I remember.
mikeangel likes this.
davyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2015, 00:21   #41

I had a friend of mine I got to know when I lived in London. Tom Robinson from Accrington He was singing with a R&B soul band around London Pubs and clubs. He may well still be at it. He had a great soul voice.
davyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2015, 14:12   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyro View Post
I had a friend of mine I got to know when I lived in London. Tom Robinson from Accrington He was singing with a R&B soul band around London Pubs and clubs. He may well still be at it. He had a great soul voice.
Hi davyro
I knew Tom very well but the last time I saw him was when Ben E King was in Liverpool in the late sixties.
I have just found this pic, do you think it could be him?
Attached Images
File Type: gif Tom-robinson-band.gif (64.0 KB, 32 views)
cashman likes this.
sm_counsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2015, 08:00   #43

Any more pics Susan, and Davyro is that David Robinson, Susan can you put names to the guys in the photo,
Old 21-06-2015, 14:29   #44

I got the pic from Google. If you google: Tom Robinson band you'll find loads on him, and if you click on images you will see him as he is now ( quite a bit older)
sm_counsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2015, 19:27   #45
Super Moderator

Sorry to disappoint you, folks, but that's a completely different Tom Robinson Band, who were big in the late 70's with "2 4 6 8 Motorway".

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..