Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Lost Friends / Family
Donate! Join Today

Lost Friends / Family Lost friends from the Accrington area? Maybe someone here can help?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2015, 20:04   #46
Full Member+

Re: Huncoat Colliery

I have no idea which pit my Great Grandfather was in but I do know when he finished mining he was the landlord of the Black Bull in Huncoat.
Rowlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 24-09-2015, 19:22   #47
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
I have been in contact recently with a long lost mate Ken Lowes who worked down Hapton Valley before moving to Kent.

He sent me the following photo taken down the Valley,
the arrow saying "ME" is Ken.

He took me down once during a shutdown and I have a great admiration for all the lads who made a living down there.
that is not Ken Lowes ,that is Peter Dunn
Patrick D O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2015, 11:25   #48
Mog

I moved down to Kent for the channel tunnel in 92. Whereabouts in Kent does Ken live Patrick.
Mog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 16:28   #49
Junior Member+

ken lowes as far as I remember was a mechanic at Hapton Vallry but left in the 70's to work on fishing boats on the south coast. I believe his wife died and he came back to Accrington and restarted back at Hapton Valley. When Hapton Valley closed I believe he transferred to Lea Hall colliery in Rugeley. Incidentely I worked at hap ton Valley from 1970to its closure. i was one of the Surveyors (Dialers as we were called) I do not know where Ken is now but my reply about the photograph was to say that it did not depict Ken ,but an electrician called Peter Dunn .Incidentely the photo was was taken on either Dip 5 or Dip 3 .it was a retreat face.
cashman likes this.
Old 21-02-2016, 00:03   #50

Hi Mog my name Dicky ( Alan Dickinson) I worked with all the guys you mentioned see my forum. Do you remember me?
Alan Dickinson DICKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2016, 19:13   #51
Junior Member+

when did you work at Hapton Valley Bob
Old 30-09-2016, 19:17   #52
Junior Member+

I remember Steven Clough.I think he worked on the coal face.
Old 30-09-2016, 21:09   #53
Senior Member+

I don't know what dates - but 1957-58. I loved it.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 10:37   #54
Mog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Dickinson DICKY View Post
Hi Mog my name Dicky ( Alan Dickinson) I worked with all the guys you mentioned see my forum. Do you remember me?
Hey up Dicky, cause I remember you mate. And the rest of the Rishton and Great Harwood lads. Did you end up with your girlfriend Mow. Fred Dows daughter. You ok.
Old 05-10-2016, 10:38   #55

Hi Mog what is your full name . Yes ended up with Mow we have been together 48 years , have 2 children We live in Australia . Tell me a few names you know from Huncoat
Cheers Dicky
Old 05-10-2016, 10:47   #56

Some other names I remember Gilly,Molly, Gosh, Treverthick,Morris Steveson. Spud Pickup. Ian Power Is Marylyn's (Mow) cousin. Fred died when he was only 49.
Old 06-10-2016, 06:44   #57
Mog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Dickinson DICKY View Post
Some other names I remember Gilly,Molly, Gosh, Treverthick,Morris Steveson. Spud Pickup. Ian Power Is Marylyn's (Mow) cousin. Fred died when he was only 49.
You just named me on here mate. there was only 1 other Stevenson and that was my brother Brian Stevenson. Others you mentioned Gilly was Glynn Gillibrand. Molly was Malcolm Taylor, Brian Trevethick, Spud Pickup was mates with our Brian. Ian Pocket Powers was my old mate. Mog is me.
Old 31-12-2016, 17:36   #58

I knew "uncle" Bob, he and my father Jack Barnes ran their window cleaning rounds together during my youth. Although we called him Uncle Bob we were not blood relatives. If we are talking about the same man he was married to "auntie" Rita whose daughter was Susan (like myself). My father told us that prior to window cleaning uncle bob worked down the pits and that he wrestled under the name of Robert retsinab. I have photos somewhere when we were on holiday and Susan an I are riding around on trikes outside a caravan. I grew up knowing this man he was part of our family life.
Jacksdaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 11:24   #59
Full Member+

An article in today's (Jan 4th) Lancashire Telegraph about a miner from Huncoat.
Rowlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2017, 19:37   #60
Full Member+

Any of you ex Miners know of a man called Herbert Daley. I have in my possession a badge with his name engraved on the back on the face it says LANCS & CHESHIRE MINERS across the top, below it says WELFARE COMMITTEE. There are also on the face two pennants either side of a Davy Lamp with the words Safety Badge under the lamp. How or why this came to be in my possession I have not got a clue, so if any of you guy's out there know of him or his family could you let me know, they may want a memento.
cashman likes this.
ferret man is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..