Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Lost Friends / Family
Donate! Join Today

Lost Friends / Family Lost friends from the Accrington area? Maybe someone here can help?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-06-2012, 18:58   #31
Resting in Peace

Re: Information about Clayton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
My 1951 Barrett's Directory shows Mrs E Howard, a tripe dealer at 158 Whalley Rd, next door at 158 is a chip shop.
Did you get this right, Bob ?
Or did they share 158 ?
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 24-06-2012, 19:07   #32
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Would make more sense if the number was 156 to be on the corner. Compare up-to-date map with old.

Attachment 21164

Attachment 21165 This on a join unfortunately.
Could that row on Whalley rd have been re numbered after building the Motorway,if you look at the other end of that row, corner of Hill St, a house has been knocked down otherwise the numbers would be correct.
claytonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2012, 19:46   #33
Rest in Peace

Quote:
My 1951 Barrett's Directory shows Mrs E Howard, a tripe dealer at 158 Whalley Rd, next door at 158 is a chip shop.Between Henry St & Well St are 7 dwellings/shops. G Hoyle is at 150. The name Long Row probably came about when it was being built - this was common. There's one in Sabden. Seven doesn't seem all that long but it would cost more t build than the usual four. At 144, next door to Thornber's chemists was J Bleasdale, a labourer.
Bob, does it give F Camp sports shop at 160
Old 24-06-2012, 20:01   #34
I am Banned

Quote:
My 1951 Barrett's Directory shows Mrs E Howard, a tripe dealer at 158 Whalley Rd, next door at 158 is a chip shop.Between Henry St & Well St are 7 dwellings/shops. G Hoyle is at 150. The name Long Row probably came about when it was being built - this was common. There's one in Sabden. Seven doesn't seem all that long but it would cost more t build than the usual four. At 144, next door to Thornber's chemists was J Bleasdale, a labourer.

My mother always claimed that there was a chip shop next door, so we were puzzled at "Bleasdale". I'll have to find out about Mrs. E. Howard.

So the photo I posted was not 158 Whalley Rd?
Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2012, 20:13   #35
I am Banned

Ah! my grandma only had the tripe shop until 1949. Then she became ill, sold the business and moved in with us on Moss Hall Road. I think she died in 1952. So that explains the E. Howard who must have bought her shop.

We emigrated to Pennsylvania, USA, in June, 1954.
Old 24-06-2012, 20:21   #36
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack View Post

So the photo I posted was not 158 Whalley Rd?
I think it was.

I am not too convinced that it was on a corner ... the photograph only makes it appear so, due to it being clipped. Could be 158 was split into two shops. ?? Unless Bob made a typing error.
Old 24-06-2012, 20:39   #37
I am Banned

But Bob Dobson puts Bleasdale's at #144, so that doesn't make sense. The photo shows Bleasdale's, and #158 couldn't be next door according to the numbering. I'm wondering if it's a photo of my mother who may have been the young girl at the far left of the photo. The people who would know have all passed on, and me poor owd mum has Alzheimer's. My sister got the photo from a cousin who wasn't born until the 1960s. Maybe he just assumed it was 158 Whalley Road.
Old 24-06-2012, 20:45   #38
I am Banned

Quote:
I think it was.
Quote:

I am not too convinced that it was on a corner ... the photograph only makes it appear so, due to it being clipped. Could be 158 was split into two shops. ?? Unless Bob made a typing error.

It was definitely on a corner. I know that much from visiting the area in 1978. My mother's cousin with whom she was very close while growing up drove me to #158 just before it was torn down. I went in the side door on the back street and dislodged a brick that I took back to America.
Old 24-06-2012, 21:16   #39
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack View Post

It was definitely on a corner. I know that much from visiting the area in 1978. My mother's cousin with whom she was very close while growing up drove me to #158 just before it was torn down. I went in the side door on the back street and dislodged a brick that I took back to America.
Mack, I should look once again at post 26, I think a lot of blockers have been thrown in your path since then.
Old 24-06-2012, 22:11   #40
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonx View Post
Mack, I should look once again at post 26, I think a lot of blockers have been thrown in your path since then.

Maybe I'm missing something, but post # 26 is my post, and I was talking about the charcoal drawing. The drawing is how I remember it when I visited in 1978.
Old 25-06-2012, 07:10   #41
God Member

My Mum was born in 1930 and grew up round there, I'll ask her tomorrow when I see her what she can remember of the area and all the shops.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2012, 10:17   #42
Rest in Peace

You and your sister agree in that post that the shop was at the bottom of Henry St back street and Whalley Road.What more are you looking for.
Old 25-06-2012, 11:04   #43
Resting in Peace

What is puzzling me most about Mack's 'photo is the mill chimney.

Can't find any evidence of a mill behind the Henry Street area ... just quarries ? Unless quarries had a chimney ?
Old 25-06-2012, 11:04   #44
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonx View Post
You and your sister agree in that post that the shop was at the bottom of Henry St back street and Whalley Road.What more are you looking for.

Whether or not the photograph I posted is a photo of Grandma's shop. My sister and I have come to the conclusion that it is probably not because according to family recollections, there was a chip shop next door - confirmed by Bob Dobson - and the photo shows "Bleasdale's" next to the house that is supposed to be Grandma's shop. Memories fade and the reality becomes distorted. The photo has been in the family archives for almost one-hundred years as being the tripe shop. It probably is not.

Evidence points in that direction, but nothing is definite unless we can get first-hand information.
Old 25-06-2012, 11:11   #45
I am Banned

Quote:
What is puzzling me most about Mack's 'photo is the mill chimney.
Quote:

Can't find any evidence of a mill behind the Henry Street area ... just quarries ? Unless quarries had a chimney ?

Interesting observation. I am thinking that the photo was taken in front of # 144 Whalley Road. In the 1890 map that was posted, there is a factory in that area called, "Guttenberg Works (Printing)", so I am surmising that the mill chimney might belong to the company. Just a thought.

Tags
clayton, long row, tripe shop, whalley road

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..