Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Lost Friends / Family
Donate! Join Today

Lost Friends / Family Lost friends from the Accrington area? Maybe someone here can help?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By taddy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2023, 08:26   #1
Senior Member+

The Toplis Family.

Recently I bought a quantitiy of old postcards which had been sent to Accrington people. . One jumped out at me . IT was sent from Lilian & Peter in Belgium to 'Dear Mother' - Mrs A Toplis12 Woodside Rd Huncoat. and was dated 1951. Maybe Mrs Toplis was the mother of Irene Toplis who I went out with when we were both about 16 . She was at Hyndburn Park School and I was at the Grammar School. I would like to find a family member who might like to have this card. There are no Toplis' in the phone directory now. I'd like to know also what Mrs Toplis' maiden name was and what became of Irene, now aged 80 /81
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 02-06-2023, 09:34   #2

Re: The Toplis Family.

Hi Bob.
Just looked into the following website:
https://www.locatefamily.com/T/TOP/TOPLIS-1.html

Where I found a Mrs. Julie Toplis number 117 on the website.

Her Address is given as 54, Blackburn Rd. Accrington.
There is a link "Leave a Message" so it might be worth a try!
Please note however that the entry on the Website is from 2015.

Cheers
Philip
landhusweg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 16:12   #3
Senior Member+

Thanks Philip. I will be in Acc next Thisday, so will knock on her door. For the present, I won't leave a message as I am a little wary of how seccure I will be by giving my detaials. Might you PM me over your thoughts on this ?
Old 03-06-2023, 08:32   #4

[QUOTE=Bob Dobson;1272640]Recently I bought a quantitiy of old postcards which had been sent to Accrington people. . One jumped out at me . IT was sent from Lilian & Peter in Belgium to 'Dear Mother' - Mrs A Toplis12 Woodside Rd Huncoat. and was dated 1951. Maybe Mrs Toplis was the mother of Irene Toplis who I went out with when we were both about 16 . She was at Hyndburn Park School and I was at the Grammar School. I would like to find a family member who might like to have this card. There are no Toplis' in the phone directory now. I'd like to know also what Mrs Toplis' maiden name was and what became of Irene, now aged 80 /81

Hello Bob, did Irene Toplis have a younger brother called Jimmy who also went I believe to Hyndburn Park School in the late 50s/early 60s ?
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 09:43   #5
Senior Member+

I cannot remember much about the Toplis family, Taddy, and don't remember any brothers.. There wouldn't be many of that surname in the town.
Old 03-06-2023, 12:50   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
Thanks Philip. I will be in Acc next Thisday, so will knock on her door. For the present, I won't leave a message as I am a little wary of how seccure I will be by giving my detaials. Might you PM me over your thoughts on this ?
Agree Bob. The best way is to contact anybody in person. Please let me know how it works out.

Cheers
Philip
Old 04-06-2023, 06:32   #7
Senior Member+

I will post on here if I succeed in contacting a family member and giving him/her the postcard.
Old 12-06-2023, 14:16   #8
Senior Member+

[QUOTE=taddy;1272666]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
Recently I bought a quantitiy of old postcards which had been sent to Accrington people. . One jumped out at me . IT was sent from Lilian & Peter in Belgium to 'Dear Mother' - Mrs A Toplis12 Woodside Rd Huncoat. and was dated 1951. Maybe Mrs Toplis was the mother of Irene Toplis who I went out with when we were both about 16 . She was at Hyndburn Park School and I was at the Grammar School. I would like to find a family member who might like to have this card. There are no Toplis' in the phone directory now. I'd like to know also what Mrs Toplis' maiden name was and what became of Irene, now aged 80 /81

Hello Bob, did Irene Toplis have a younger brother called Jimmy who also went I believe to Hyndburn Park School in the late 50s/early 60s ?
==============================================

Yes, Jimmy Toplis was brother to Sarah( Sally) and Irene. . I would appeciate any information you can provide - [email protected]
Old 13-06-2023, 09:18   #9

[QUOTE=Bob Dobson;1272694][QUOTE=taddy;1272666]

==============================================

Yes, Jimmy Toplis was brother to Sarah( Sally) and Irene. . I would appeciate any information you can provide - [email protected]

Sorry Bob but I only new Jimmy when I was in my early teens, as far as I can remember he lived in what us "true Huncotters" called the "Sawdust City", i.e. Within Grove estate. When younger it was a game of them and us and it didn't help that Jimmy went to Hynburn Park School and I went to Woodnook School, fierce rivalry ensued, I have no doubt that the same happened between Accy Grammar School at Ossy Technical School.
Regards, Taddy.
joaner3 likes this.
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2023, 05:56   #10
Senior Member+

Thanks Taddy. I now have an address and propose to knock on the door next time I'm over in Accv
Old 01-08-2023, 08:29   #11

Hi Bob,
Did you ever get around to the address given?
Cheers

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..