Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Nightlife, Events, Days out
Donate! Join Today

Nightlife, Events, Days out To discuss events, nightlife, pubs etc.. in and around Accrington. Also days out and about, where to go, where have you been, let us know!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-04-2009, 21:23   #61
Resting in Peace

Re: Parkinson's Disease Society new local group

Looks like they are still working on this Andrew:

ITV Granada
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 22-04-2009, 09:35   #62
Resting in Peace

Watched it this morning Rindi, first class effort mate, well done, it surprising how some people freeze when they have a camera in their face, but you came across absolutely perfect and there's one thing for me, at least I'll know you know if I bump into you in the street
Old 25-04-2009, 09:24   #63
Give, give, give member

The next meeting of the Hyndburn and Ribble Valley Parkinson's disease support group will be next Saturday, 2nd of May 2009.

11.30 am - 1.30 pm in the Supper Room, Accrington Town Hall.
(It's on the first floor but there is lift access.)

We will enjoy sharing a Jacob's Join lunch together, and a warm welcome will be extended to everyone who's been affected by PD, either themselves or someone close.

Last edited by garinda; 25-04-2009 at 09:31.
garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2009, 09:52   #64
Give, give, give member

The Hyndburn and Ribble Valley Parkinson’s Disease support group will next meet in the Supper Room, Accrington Town Hall, on Saturday 4th July, 11.30am -1.30pm.. There will be a Jacob’s Join lunch, and a talk by a representative from Carers Link.

A warm welcome will be extended to anyone who'd like to come along, for a very informal meet and greet.

Old 28-06-2009, 10:01   #65
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
The Hyndburn and Ribble Valley Parkinson’s Disease support group will next meet in the Supper Room, Accrington Town Hall, on Saturday 4th July, 11.30am -1.30pm.. There will be a Jacob’s Join lunch, and a talk by a representative from Carers Link.

A warm welcome will be extended to anyone who'd like to come along, for a very informal meet and greet.

Rindi don't mind me asking, I maybe a bit thick, I've often heard of but ain't a clue what a Jacob's Join lunch is
Old 28-06-2009, 10:47   #66

Jacobs join is where everyone contributes to the lunch or party that are they are attending and they all bring different selections of food and drink.
turkishdelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2009, 11:48   #67
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkishdelight View Post
Jacobs join is where everyone contributes to the lunch or party that are they are attending and they all bring different selections of food and drink.
Thank you, yes that's it.

Though people are more than welcome to come and have lunch with us if they don't want to bring food.

I thought it was quite a common term.

'The term Jacob’s join is well known in and around Lancashire. Eric Partridge and Nigel Rees both record that people from that English county have told them about it. However, nobody seems to know where it comes from. This is hardly surprising: there are many such sayings, often with quite wide circulations, whose origins are totally obscure. In this case, the connection is presumably with the biblical Jacob, he of Jacob’s ladder. Could it refer to the mess of pottage (a dish of stew, in modern language) for which, the Bible tells us, Esau sold his birthright to his twin brother Jacob?.'

http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-jac1.htm

It must be my caring/sharing Methodist background.

Perhaps Jaysay hasn't heard of it because as a Tory produce should equal profit.

Old 28-06-2009, 12:37   #68
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Thank you, yes that's it.

Though people are more than welcome to come and have lunch with us if they don't want to bring food.

I thought it was quite a common term.

'The term Jacob’s join is well known in and around Lancashire. Eric Partridge and Nigel Rees both record that people from that English county have told them about it. However, nobody seems to know where it comes from. This is hardly surprising: there are many such sayings, often with quite wide circulations, whose origins are totally obscure. In this case, the connection is presumably with the biblical Jacob, he of Jacob’s ladder. Could it refer to the mess of pottage (a dish of stew, in modern language) for which, the Bible tells us, Esau sold his birthright to his twin brother Jacob?.'

World Wide Words: Jacob’s join

It must be my caring/sharing Methodist background.

Perhaps Jaysay hasn't heard of it because as a Tory produce should equal profit.
On the contry Rindi as a Tory I'll join with anybody and then make a profitanyway many thanks for the info, only Mez attually rang me to give me the full SP on Jacobs Join. In fact its like bottle party really where everybody brinks a bottle of cheap sherry then opt for drnking whisky
Old 28-06-2009, 22:21   #69
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Rindi don't mind me asking, I maybe a bit thick, I've often heard of but ain't a clue what a Jacob's Join lunch is
yer not alone i hadn't a clue either.
Old 28-06-2009, 22:31   #70
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
yer not alone i hadn't a clue either.
I knew - maybe it was a Methodist thing.
I had a methodist wedding first time around, and the guests toasted the bride and groom in Cidona

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2009, 23:03   #71
Passed away 25-11-09

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
I had a methodist wedding first time around, and the guests toasted the bride and groom in Cidona

In Cidona? OK, where's that - Spain?

I'm guessing it's some kind of non-alcoholic beverage and I'm not well acquainted with them. What, exactly, is it?
Old 28-06-2009, 23:13   #72
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Ender View Post
In Cidona? OK, where's that - Spain?

I'm guessing it's some kind of non-alcoholic beverage and I'm not well acquainted with them. What, exactly, is it?
Non alcoholic cider

PS with a welsh methodist mother in law life wasn't easy - eg 'no washing to be hung out on a Sunday', and 'that lawn will be nice for chapel coffee mornings'

Last edited by MargaretR; 28-06-2009 at 23:17.
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2009, 23:28   #73
Give, give, give member

Quote:
I've been to them at Anglican churches too. So not just a Methodist thing.

On the national PDS site, based in London, they've changed Jacob's Join to 'bring and share lunch'.

So those southern heathens were in the dark too.

Parkinson's Disease Society - Hyndburn and Ribble Valley Support Group

Old 29-06-2009, 10:01   #74
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Methodist Margaret you've made me smile, can remember when I was a teenger always went to th methodist youth club on Friday night, well that was the second port of call on the night the first one was the Bay Horse, didn't go down too well at the second venue
Old 24-07-2009, 11:45   #75
Give, give, give member

My thanks to the little girl and her parents, who this week dropped off a bucket of money for the Hyndburn and Ribble Valley Parkinson's disease support group.

Caring Clitheroe pupil's charity pyjama party - Clitheroe Today

It's much appreciated, and will be used wisely.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..