Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Nightlife, Events, Days out
Donate! Join Today

Nightlife, Events, Days out To discuss events, nightlife, pubs etc.. in and around Accrington. Also days out and about, where to go, where have you been, let us know!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Ryewolf90
  • 1 Post By Margaret Pilkington
  • 1 Post By taddy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-02-2023, 00:33   #1
Full Member+

Flying Scotsman 100th Celebration

24 February 2023 marks 100 years since Flying Scotsman entered service.

If you want to ride behind or see the world's most famous steam train then head out to the East Lancs Railway on 11, 12, 17 – 19 March 2023

Alternatively you could go to the KWVR at Haworth on 25th to 29th May 2023
Attached Images
File Type: jpg flying-scotsman-5846-bw.jpg (421.4 KB, 7 views)
Old 20-02-2023, 03:47   #2

Re: Flying Scotsman 100th Celebration

Ryewolf, thank you for this information on behalf of all train enthusiasts who might read this thread. Unfortunately I’m a bit too far away to take part in any of this. However, it does bring back memories of leaning over the side of a bridge with pencil and paper, writing down the numbers of the engines that were ‘namers’ as they passed beneath us. Could be dangerous work if we leant too far but that didn’t mean a thing to us.. A lot of trains have gone under a lot of bridges since then. If I remember rightly the namers all started with the number 8, could be wrong about that – long time ago.
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2023, 03:52   #3
Beacon of light

Ryewolf that is a great picture of this marvellous bit of history.
Ryewolf90 likes this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2023, 13:42   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotti34 View Post
Ryewolf, thank you for this information on behalf of all train enthusiasts who might read this thread. Unfortunately I’m a bit too far away to take part in any of this. However, it does bring back memories of leaning over the side of a bridge with pencil and paper, writing down the numbers of the engines that were ‘namers’ as they passed beneath us. Could be dangerous work if we leant too far but that didn’t mean a thing to us.. A lot of trains have gone under a lot of bridges since then. If I remember rightly the namers all started with the number 8, could be wrong about that – long time ago.
Aye Dotti this post takes me back more than a few years, my family moved into Huncoat village when I was seven years old and we lived within a couple of hundred yards of the railway, a favourite pastime, (when I got a little older), I may add, was leaving four or six inch nails on the tracks to be flattened by the heavy steam trains and then after sharpening and adding a piece of wood for a handle, making our own knives.
shillelagh likes this.
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2023, 00:24   #5
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Ryewolf that is a great picture of this marvellous bit of history.

Thanks, this was taken on the ELR near Townsend Fold.

Apparently the Royal Mint are producing a Commemorative £2 to celebrate the 100th Centenary.
Old 23-02-2023, 13:59   #6

Been a steam train fan for years, Once went on main line excursion behind the Flying Scotsman to Sellafield visitor centre (probably now closed.) Great experience.
Great Western locos are probably my biggest interest, particularly King class.
Mark2009 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..