Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-02-2010, 11:58   #31

Re: Accrington & District Boys Football League

John I remember a guy called Jacky Eastwood, who did go along with the Surf Utd gang, but I don't know if he played in the Boys League.

I played with a good team callled All Whites, which included Jimmy Howarth, George Clark, Ronnie Webster, Derek Connor, and Mick Gibson In later years we had a very good side called Blackstone, which was based from the top of Ossie and included Billy Baron, Roy Whttle, and some of the above lads. but I can't remember many.

All in all, the Boys League was superb, and I remember that Ormerod St, had a very good side which was mainly Accy Gram' School pupils, and run by Horace Frear.
tonyalveston is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 22-02-2010, 15:26   #32
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyalveston View Post
John I remember a guy called Jacky Eastwood, who did go along with the Surf Utd gang, but I don't know if he played in the Boys League.

I played with a good team callled All Whites, which included Jimmy Howarth, George Clark, Ronnie Webster, Derek Connor, and Mick Gibson In later years we had a very good side called Blackstone, which was based from the top of Ossie and included Billy Baron, Roy Whttle, and some of the above lads. but I can't remember many.

All in all, the Boys League was superb, and I remember that Ormerod St, had a very good side which was mainly Accy Gram' School pupils, and run by Horace Frear.
Cheers T Jacky Eastwood that's the guy, ya I remember you playing for the All Whites, If I remember rightly there was a School verses boys league issue, especially when we were at the Holy Farm, Terry Neville tried to get kids baned from play in the boys league, insisting you all played for the school on Saturday mornings, can't remember if he succeeded as I was not involved, you know what my skills were at the beautiful game
Old 24-02-2010, 07:28   #33

These were good football players when I was at Holy Family, Jim Alexander, David Bradshaw, Kieth Fenwick, Sean Howarth, Rodger Livsey, Brian Metcalf. Terry Neville put a lot of time in with them, Sean Howarth was a very good gymnast as well.
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2010, 09:25   #34
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gilmartin View Post
These were good football players when I was at Holy Family, Jim Alexander, David Bradshaw, Kieth Fenwick, Sean Howarth, Rodger Livsey, Brian Metcalf. Terry Neville put a lot of time in with them, Sean Howarth was a very good gymnast as well.
What years were that Alan
Old 24-02-2010, 10:28   #35

I remember playing at the top of the Woodlands for All Saints primary school before they developed a pitch by the school in 1963, I think that pitch was then used by teams in the Accrington combination. Anyone remember the old primary school league teams like, Peel Park, St Pauls, St. Bartholomews, All Saints, and more? Regards all Old Saintonian. P.S. The friday afternoon ritual of shirt distribution to team memebers priceless.
Old Saintonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2010, 13:56   #36

Hello Tony,
Hope you can remember 'little Susan Counsell' I can certainly remember you and your family.
The Jacky I mentioned in an earlier thread wasn't called Eastwood but I think he lived in White Ash Lane in front of Derek Connor's house and he played for Ossie Rovers.
Nice to 'hear' you
Rgds
sm_counsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2010, 09:06   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Saintonian View Post
I remember playing at the top of the Woodlands for All Saints primary school before they developed a pitch by the school in 1963, I think that pitch was then used by teams in the Accrington combination. Anyone remember the old primary school league teams like, Peel Park, St Pauls, St. Bartholomews, All Saints, and more? Regards all Old Saintonian. P.S. The friday afternoon ritual of shirt distribution to team members priceless. I was always last and managed to get the most damaged shirt, mum was invariably sewing the thing up all Friday evening.
Was the Council school on earl street in the league?
Old Saintonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 06:01   #38

Jaysay, it was 1960 to 64, Mulderick was our form teacher.
Old 03-03-2010, 06:02   #39

Ther was a pich on the rec at the top of Burnley rd, in Clayton, is the rec still there.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:54   #40
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gilmartin View Post
Jaysay, it was 1960 to 64, Mulderick was our form teacher.
You must have been in the year below me Alan I started in 59 when it was first opened, oh hang on, I was in the third year when I started stayed on an extra year until I was sixteen and left in 62, Des Mulderick was our history teacher, still didn't like him, to me he was a total prat
Old 04-03-2010, 23:18   #41
Senior Member+

Does anyone remember a talented centre forward called Steve Done? Another name I recall was a defender that we all called Chang - I never knew if that was a nickname or his real name.
Revived Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 08:49   #42
Senior Member+

Does anyone recognise themselves on this photograph. It was the league's representative team in 1963 (I think).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Accy Boys football.JPG (174.1 KB, 63 views)
Revived Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 09:47   #43
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revived Red View Post
Does anyone remember a talented centre forward called Steve Done? Another name I recall was a defender that we all called Chang - I never knew if that was a nickname or his real name.
Steve Done was his real name lived on skeining row, was quite a good footballer
There was lso Steve Dawn who went on to play for Burnley but never really made it
Old 05-03-2010, 09:49   #44
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revived Red View Post
Does anyone recognise themselves on this photograph. It was the league's representative team in 1963 (I think).
Is that Franny Franks on the left of the Goalkeeper
Old 05-03-2010, 10:46   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Is that Franny Franks on the left of the Goalkeeper
Hi Jaysay, the boy on the front row, second from the right looks very much like that Jackie (can't remember surname) that I mentioned in an earlier thread who used to play for Ossie Rovers.
Also didn't Steven Done live over West End ( not skeining row but the last but one on the right on Thwaites rd going towards Blackburn rd (I'm useless in giving directions!!) I do know he married a girl called Carol Moores.
sm_counsell is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..