Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2012, 14:36   #16
Resting in Peace

Re: Childhood games...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
At my son's house Monopoly, chess and scrabble are played fairly often.
My stepgrandaughter was a little piqued when I beat her at Scrabble.
I recently donated my boxed Backgammon set to them (I have no-one to play it with)
Ya know Margaret Backgammon is a game I've never played or for that matter even seen played, certainly don't know the rules, I no its played on board with counters of some sort, from seeing it on TV and films
Old 10-03-2012, 15:06   #17
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Ya know Margaret Backgammon is a game I've never played or for that matter even seen played, certainly don't know the rules, I no its played on board with counters of some sort, from seeing it on TV and films
We have a lovely backgammon set which my other half brought back from North Africa, played it once, not really into board games.

Only played Cluedo once, don't mind Monopoly if there are lots of folks playing and they're all drunk enough.
susie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 15:17   #18
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
At my son's house Monopoly, chess and scrabble are played fairly often.
My stepgrandaughter was a little piqued when I beat her at Scrabble.
I recently donated my boxed Backgammon set to them (I have no-one to play it with)
A treasured family heirloom of mine is a box of Ivory dominoes which belonged to my Paternal Grandparents. They were given it during WW2 as a blackmarket exchange for some meat -they had a butcher's shop!

I remember being taught to play Chess by friend Charlotte's dad, Geoff -they had a board which was built into a little table with a drawer for the pieces.

Never played Backgammon but I love Scrabble -I have no-one to play with either Margaret

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence

Last edited by mobertol; 10-03-2012 at 15:20.
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 18:25   #19
Give, give, give member

Favourite game.

I'm in charge, and you do everything I tell you to.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 18:29   #20
Senior Member+

Yes master
Old 10-03-2012, 19:44   #21
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Favourite game.

I'm in charge, and you do everything I tell you to.

Has anyone ever told you, you can be a right pain in the....

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 10-03-2012, 20:14   #22
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
What, is it a guessing game ? Giv'us a clue, how many words ?
Old 10-03-2012, 20:18   #23
Give, give, give member

Quote:
No, they'd be too afraid their G.M. club membership card would have be taken off them, and they'd be thrown out.

Yes, there was one.

Sad but true.

I remember at one meeting in the club house, one member wondered whether we'd ever rival the scouting movement.

As membership peaked at twelve members, this seemed unlikely.

Though I could always start another recruitment drive.

Old 10-03-2012, 21:18   #24
Give, give, give member

More seriously, most games were just made up.

The landing half-way up the stairs was a stage coach. We loved that, but we had to be quiet, as we weren't really allowed to play on the stairs.

Our parents did an overnight make over on the wash house, and turned it into a farm. That was great, growing crops, and looking after pigs made out of catering containers.

Making dens. Either indoors if the weather was bad, under the stairs being a favourite place, or in the fields behind the house, which had dry stone walls, and thatched roofs.

Digging for treasure, on archaelogical expeditions.

Expeditions through 'jungles'. Which in reality were just over grown hedges, or waste land.

Building sky-scrapers, when the farmer had had the combine harvester out in the fields we backed onto, but hadn't yet collected the bales of hay.

Alway trying to make new means of communication. Walkie talkies fettled out of tins, invisible ink made from the juice of onions.

Other favourite games, which we'd play for hours, was 'Whirlpool' in which you'd spend ages running/swimming one way round the swimming pool, until you'd got a strong current going, and then you'd let yourself get swept round when someone shouted 'Whirlpool!' Better if you had extra friends with you. 'Tidal Wave' was the same, but you got the current going length wise, as opposed to round.

Board games, were the usual selection, ludo, snakes and ladders etc, though I did like Haunted House, where a ball was dropped down the chimney, and had the option of setting off various things, including traps.

Everything else was arty, and involved making things.

First toy I remember, which I loved was a model of Camberwick Green, with all the figures, which I got for my second birthday.

Occasionally, after tea on Sunday, the best game ever, 'Bish Bash'.

A rare treat we looked forward to. Which was us two, and Dad, locked in no-holds barred 'play fighting'. With Mum as referee, deciding when the contest had ended. Which was usually when tempers got frayed, and accusations of another participant not 'playing fair'.

Happy days.

Old 10-03-2012, 21:31   #25
Give, give, give member

I'm two again.

I've just found Camberwick Green.

Codeg Camberwick Green Village Set: To consist of... | Toys & Militaria | Mullock's Auctions

There must have been two more sets, because mine had twelve buildings.

I haven't seen it for over forty years.

My eyes have misted over, with the magic it represented to me once.

Old 10-03-2012, 21:53   #26
God Member

Quote:
No, they'd be too afraid their G.M. club membership card would have be taken off them, and they'd be thrown out.

Yes, there was one.

Sad but true.

I remember at one meeting in the club house, one member wondered whether we'd ever rival the scouting movement.

As membership peaked at twelve members, this seemed unlikely.

Though I could always start another recruitment drive.

Would have been a good match -luckily I was the one setting the rules in DMC's den, down the back's, behind Dill Hall Lane...

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 10-03-2012, 22:06   #27
God Member

Quote:
More seriously, most games were just made up.

The landing half-way up the stairs was a stage coach. We loved that, but we had to be quiet, as we weren't really allowed to play on the stairs.

Digging for treasure, on archaelogical expeditions.

Expeditions through 'jungles'. Which in reality were just over grown hedges, or waste land.

Building sky-scrapers, when the farmer had had the combine harvester out in the fields we backed onto, but hadn't yet collected the bales of hay.

Alway trying to make new means of communication. Walkie talkies fettled out of tins, invisible ink made from the juice of onions.

Other favourite games, which we'd play for hours, was 'Whirlpool' in which you'd spend ages running/swimming one way round the swimming pool, until you'd got a strong current going, and then you'd let yourself get swept round when someone shouted 'Whirlpool!' Better if you had extra friends with you. 'Tidal Wave' was the same, but you got the current going length wise, as opposed to round.

Board games, were the usual selection, ludo, snakes and ladders etc, though I did like Haunted House, where a ball was dropped down the chimney, and had the option of setting off various things, including traps.

Everything else was arty, and involved making things.

First toy I remember, which I loved was a model of Camberwick Green, with all the figures, which I got for my second birthday.

Occasionally, after tea on Sunday, the best game ever, 'Bish Bash'.

A rare treat we looked forward to. Which was us two, and Dad, locked in no-holds barred 'play fighting'. With Mum as referee, deciding when the contest had ended. Which was usually when tempers got frayed, and accusations of another participant not 'playing fair'.

Happy days.

The landing in my Grandparent's house in Exchange Street was a River infested with crocodiles.

Had completely forgotten Haunted House -though the traps rarely worked well -wasn't there a sort of basket that caught a mouse as well? Or was that another game...

Don't know the Camberwick Green Game -had Rupert the Bear Annuals then and Winnie the Pooh -I always got a lot of books...

Never heard of Bish-Bash -we must play it together , sounds fun -hope you won't cheat and make up the rules to suit you -i trust you implicitly, of course.

As a family we were big fans of "Frustration" -am a dab hand at getting Six Still have my old board and brought up my boys to play it. Nothing like a bit of Frustration...

PS Like the idea of you playing Indiana Jones...

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 10-03-2012, 22:11   #28
God Member

Quote:
I'm two again.

I've just found Camberwick Green.

Codeg Camberwick Green Village Set: To consist of... | Toys & Militaria | Mullock's Auctions

There must have been two more sets, because mine had twelve buildings.

I haven't seen it for over forty years.

My eyes have misted over, with the magic it represented to me once.
You are such a big softie ...(((((Mwa))))) x

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 10-03-2012, 22:25   #29
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Had completely forgotten Haunted House -though the traps rarely worked well -wasn't there a sort of basket that caught a mouse as well? Or was that another game...
Do you mean Mousie Mousie...

http://www.20thcenturylondon.org.uk/...ch_word=&catId
Old 10-03-2012, 23:11   #30
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Or this?

Mouse Trap (board game) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Which we didn't have.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..