Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-06-2005, 19:45   #1
Senior Member+

Grease ...is the word

Grrrr.My lovely daughter has just returned from an evening of playing out and her clothes are liberally smeared with "grease".She has taken me to the location from whence the stuff appeared and some total imbecile has smeared a telegraph pole and a wall of a garage in the stuff to prevent kids from climbing,fair enough,but my child simply walked past it a little too close! Its from ground level up to about 6 foot!
Obvioiusly the question is...how do I get it off her clothes????Any ideas??
And I will be having words with the owner of the garage [if I can find out who it is.....]
Old 23-06-2005, 20:22   #2
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!
Re: Grease ...is the word

Chuck them away you will never get it off, if you find the owner ask him what he uses and where it came from as I would like some myself to stop the climbers, sorry kids who are just walking by too close.

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2005, 21:50   #3

For greasy stains, my mum swears by putting neat washing up liquid and rubbing it in to break the grease up then rinsing it out in hot water and sticking it straight in the washer.
Or you could go round to the bloke who owns the grease and demand reimbursement for the damage. I know they are allowed to protect their property, but putting grease on there is just plain ridiculous!
Old 23-06-2005, 22:44   #4
Member.

I would imagine it would depend on the grease Lindsey, what it as be use for in the past and if there’s any risk of contaminates? I would advise the same as Bagpuss. Get shut of them. I would suggest that you take a couple of photos and try and get the garage owner to cough up a few quid. I would also ask the local environmental Health department to sample the grease to ensure that there are no environment or health and safety risks.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2005, 23:19   #5
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

shes probably tellin the truth lindsay,but i would have said similar and wouldn't be when i was a lad pmsl
Old 24-06-2005, 00:41   #6
land of hope and glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by -pixie
For greasy stains, my mum swears by putting neat washing up liquid and rubbing it in to break the grease up then rinsing it out in hot water and sticking it straight in the washer.
Or you could go round to the bloke who owns the grease and demand reimbursement for the damage. I know they are allowed to protect their property, but putting grease on there is just plain ridiculous!
what could you find a woman rubbing these days..............come on pixie we have slept since then....he...heee
staggeringman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2005, 02:50   #7
Junior Member+

Hi Lindsay,
Tell your Dave to reply to emails from his mate in Malaysia! Hope you are well.
Georgie Saint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2005, 07:05   #8
Resident Waffler

If a child can get the grease on their clothes just by walking past then so could an adult. The area of the clothing contaminated by the grease will show if she caught it by walking past or by climbing. Climbers would have the front, inside on sleeves and inside of legs affected. Someone walking by would have the outside of arms most likely to have caught it. It's all very well protecting property but if by doing so they are damaging other people's property (i.e. clothing) then it's not on.

I'd be wanting a word with the garage owner too Lindsay. The next time it could be an adult taking them to court for damages, so you'd be doing them a favour. Where is this garage?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2005, 08:00   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by staggeringman
what could you find a woman rubbing these days..............come on pixie we have slept since then....he...heee
Who let you out? Back in your cage!
Old 24-06-2005, 08:31   #10
Senior Member+

My ex-hubby [not a tolerant man in many ways] has been and looked at the garage and confirms the grease is at a height where anyone walking past would cop for it.The daughter had the grease on her shoulder and down the side of her leg,consistent with her story and she was very upset about it,good job they are not new clothes! I am following the washing advice and will let you know.

Willow;it's a telegraph pole and a wall just round the corner from me ,Peel Park area.
Old 24-06-2005, 08:57   #11
Senior Member+

Can you not get the police involved? They can find out who owns the garage and have a discussion with them about it.

Failing that, there should be a record somewhere of who owns what property. Is this something covered by Land Registry, or somewhere at the council?

I know you can get anti-climb paint, so grease is not really necessary.

vorlon24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2005, 09:17   #12
Senior Member+

Should there not of been a warning sign up clearly on display ?
and if its a telegraph pole its classed as damaging property belonging to BT surely ?
jimmi5bellies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2005, 09:24   #13
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorlon24
Can you not get the police involved? They can find out who owns the garage and have a discussion with them about it.

Failing that, there should be a record somewhere of who owns what property. Is this something covered by Land Registry, or somewhere at the council?

I know you can get anti-climb paint, so grease is not really necessary.
you can check up the land reg yourself but i think they charge £3-50 a search link below

http://www.landreg.gov.uk/
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2005, 19:57   #14
God Member

Lindsay, if it is the anti climb grease its designed not to wash out, also your only supposed to use it on private property and display a sign warning of its use, good luck.
grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2005, 20:29   #15
Beacon of light

If the washing up liquid doesn't work...... then try soda crystals......or better still soda crystal liquid......it is ace for removing grease and it is kind to fabrics too.
Home and bargain sell the soda crystals 55pence a bag.

Make up a strong solution.......3-4 tablespoons in a couple of pints of water and dunk the clothes in that and let them soak. then wash as normal...hope it works for you.

It was very irresponsible of the person to put the grease on the pole without some kind of warning notice.

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 24-06-2005 at 20:30. Reason: sausage fingers....oops!
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..