Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-08-2005, 14:44   #1
Give, give, give member

eBay.

I've joined eBay, after eventually finding a name that hadn't been already take. I am thinking of supplementing my meagre income by selling some stuff on it.

Any tips, pitfalls, or experiences greatly received.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 16-08-2005, 14:57   #2
Senior Member+

Re: eBay.

It's good fun gary and very addictive. Enjoy yourself, i check it out everyday.I have not had any problems with ebay so far.
Old 16-08-2005, 16:00   #3
Senior Member+

Yeah dont spend too much.

Im a bit of an addict.
MUMMIBOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2005, 16:14   #4
Give, give, give member

Thanks ladies, hopefully I want to sell rather than buy, until I see something I just can't live without!

Old 16-08-2005, 18:08   #5
Senior Member+

Hiya
Im a powerseller on ebay so if you need to know anything just ask. To start selling you have to register with your credit or debit card. You are best getting a feedback at buying though before selling as people are often aware of 0 zero feedback sellers trying to scam people.
Dont forget to add postage and packaging costs onto your auction and if you accept paypal as a payment the y also like to take their % as well.
Ebay charges from as little as 15p to sell your item but they also charge you a final value fee as well of the price it sells for.
Sounds complicated but it really isnt.

Chrissie
jimmi5bellies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2005, 19:44   #6
God Member

NEVER EVER GO ON WHILST DRUNK!

When buying, look at feedback and check out what sort of items they have sold. someone who has sold 200 DVDs to the same person may be a bit 'sus'. Personally I would be extra cautious if the person has less than 10 sales and less than 95% good feedback. For anything over £100 I would be looking to collect in person. Remember no matter what eBay tell you if it isn't as described in the auction you have 7 days from the sale to reject the goods under the distance selling regs.

When selling make sure you have fully cleared funds before sending the item or letting them collect. Never accept a bankers draft from someone for more than the item was sold/advertised for. It is a standard scam. the funds seem to clear, you send it on with the extra cash to pay for shipping etc. then the bank tells you its forged etc and claim the money back leaving you without cash or the goods.

Use Buy it Now if you are happy to set a price or use reserves to make sure stuf doesn't go for pennies.

Some people use 'friends' to bid items up. If eBay find out they will pull your account.

Ian
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2005, 19:51   #7
God Member

We buy quite a lot off ebay, well Ian does, both buy it now and auctioned items, we've had some good bargins and haven't had any bad experiences yet, we always check the feedback etc.
grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2005, 12:46   #8
Clearly Classy.......

Wink Re: eBay.

[QUOTE=entwisi]NEVER EVER GO ON WHILST DRUNK!

looks like you won't make that much then hun!!!

My Gallery My Albums
Romps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2005, 12:57   #9
God Member

So garnida is a new user to ebay and as such will have a feedback of 0

and the advice to garinda is not to deal with people of 0 feedback as there probably a scam....

Whats wrong with this picture folks ?
Old 23-08-2005, 13:11   #10
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIPAX
So garnida is a new user to ebay and as such will have a feedback of 0

and the advice to garinda is not to deal with people of 0 feedback as there probably a scam....

Whats wrong with this picture folks ?
Am I a scam? Oh, dear.

I've been called worse, usually justifiably.

Old 23-08-2005, 14:50   #11
Senior Member+

Kipax, was that aimed at the advice i gave or said ? or in a mocking fashion at garinda ?

What i was only saying is when i am buying i prefer to buy from people with feedback, at least you know then that they have had genuine sales put through ebay. As an ebayer with a few years experience ive seen some of the scams that some people do get away with on ebay and also spoke to people on the forums asking for help when they have been ripped off !

Chrissie
Old 23-08-2005, 14:56   #12
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi
NEVER EVER GO ON WHILST DRUNK!

OMG that is so true !

My sister-in-law has bid on some very dubious items on eBay while under the influence and doesn't remember doing it the day after !!
Old 23-08-2005, 15:04   #13
Senior Member+

I start buying all my sons xmas pressies from ebay from August onwards. Great for dvd's, ps2, xbox games and branded sportswear !

Save a fortune on shop prices.
Old 23-08-2005, 15:06   #14
white rabbits

ive never been on ebay,,, wouldent know how to go about it ,,i would be frightened to give my bank account number etc!!!!!!!!!!!!is it realy safe?
Old 23-08-2005, 15:41   #15
Senior Member+

yes granny it is safe etc, at the end of the day no matter who you pay (ie) in a shop using a cheque you are still giving your bank account number away.
You can also pay sellers on ebay via a postal order or through paypal.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..