Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Music, Bands, Noise!
Donate! Join Today

Music, Bands, Noise! Want to talk about the latest tunes or find like minded musicians in our area, this place is for you!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-02-2005, 20:10   #1
I am Band

Thumbs up Paul Weller @ Manchester Apollo

On Thursday 17th of February, along with Lettie and her sisters, Grego and Sam, I went to Manchester Apollo to see Paul Weller. This was the first time in 25 years of listening to Paul Weller and his music that I have had the opportunity to see him live.

The gig had been re-scheduled from late last year due to Weller contracting a severe throat infection, so it was awaited with even greater anticipation. In the queue, outside the Apollo, the touts were out in force. The gig had sold out within days of going on sale, such is his popularity, and these parasites were racketeering on the back of fans desire to see the Modfather. I would make ticket touting a capital offence.

Once inside, and fuelled with Strongbow, we were glad to find that all the seats had been removed from the stalls, and that it was a standing gig. The support act, Nic Armstrong and the Thieves played a frenetic set and reminded me of some of the three minute heroes of the late seventies punk scene. It was like listening to some early Undertones material. Paul Weller has found a gem in this support act; definitely a group to look out for.

When Paul Weller came on stage, it was to rapturous applause, as he launched into the first song of the night, "Up in Suze's Room", from the 1997 album, Heavy Soul. The crowd didn't really get going until the first song from his days with The Jam, "In the Crowd", was played, four songs into the set. There was a wide spread of fans in the crowd, from aging punks and second generation Mods to students of today. As the songs were played, it was obvious that most of the crowd were hoping to hear Weller's back catalogue from his days with The Jam and the style Council. There were more tracks from his solo back catalogue before Weller played cover versions of "Wishing On a Star" and "Thinking of You" from his latest album, Studio 150.

The crowd moved up a gear when "That's Entertainment" was played, quickly followed by " You Do Something To Me". As the gig drew towards it's conclusion, more songs from Paull Weller's Style Council days were played. The encore was particularly strong, featuring, "Long Hot Summer", "Broken Stones", "My Everchanging Moods" and "If I Can Only Be Sure". Paul Weller finally wound down the show with a rip-roaring version of "A Town Called Malice".

When we exited the Apollo, there were hordes of black-market vendors selling T-shirts and posters and other associated Weller memorabalia; it was just cheap tatt, that didn't do justice to Paul Weller and the performance he gave inside the Apollo.

That was one gig that I have looked forward to for many months, and I was not disappointed. He's not bad, that Weller bloke. For me, he's up there with Joe Strummer.

Any ramblings, meanderings, thoughts or musings are mine and mine alone. Any opinions expressed are Lettie's!
Sparkologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 19-02-2005, 20:13   #2
I am Band

Re: Paul Weller @ Manchester Apollo

Here is the set listing from Paul Weller's gig at the Apollo on Thursday 17th of February 2005.

Up in Suze’s Room
One x One
Out of the sinking
Hung Up
In the Crowd
Golden Leaves
Frightened
Here’s the Good News
Amongst Butterflies
Science
Foot of the Mountain
Wishing on a star
Thinking of You
Roll Along Summer
Time Passes
That’s Entertainment
You Do Something to me
(Can you Heal Us) Holy Man
Changing Man
Porcelain Gods
Peacock Suit
Shout to the Top
--- Encore ---
Long Hot Summer
Broken Stones
My Everchanging Moods
If I can only be Sure
Town Called Malice

Any ramblings, meanderings, thoughts or musings are mine and mine alone. Any opinions expressed are Lettie's!
Old 19-02-2005, 21:17   #3
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

The guy's always been an entertainer and it looks and sounds like you got value for money, go Paul go.

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2005, 10:10   #4
I am Band

We certainly did get value for money. Paul Weller was on stage for over two and a half hours.

Old 20-02-2005, 10:25   #5

Theres a JAM tribute group playing in burnley sometime soon who are meant to be good called the new age jam . Rick Buckler is a big fan of em and has named them the second greatest band in the world they tour all over the place
Old 20-02-2005, 15:47   #6
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

We definitely got our money's worth with the play list. My feet were killing me standing up for so long but it was worth it. It was a good crowd except for one dickhead who had a go at another lad for no apparrent reason (much to his girlfriend's dismay) but he soon calmed down when Paul Weller started his set. There was a quite overwhelming smell of cannabis floating around at one point which seemed to be coming from the direction of some studenty looking types and at one point the ladies loos were full of men (I thought I'd walked into the wrong place) AND they'd left the seats up!!!! Generally a good atmosphere and well worth the wait..

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2005, 18:40   #7
I am Band

Thumbs up Re: Paul Weller @ Manchester Apollo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockrabbit
Theres a JAM tribute group playing in burnley sometime soon who are meant to be good called the new age jam .
Cheers for that info, rockrabbit.
I had heard of The New Age Jam before, but had never thought of looking for a website. Looking through their gigs guide, they indeed are playing in Burnley in the near future; on Sunday April 10th, they play Ighten Leigh Social Club, which is between Padiham and Burnley, on the main road.
Unfortunately, Lettie and I will still be in New Zealand on this date, otherwise it would be a must-see gig for me, and for Lettie too, I suspect.

For anyone who is interested, here is the homepage for The New Age Jam: http://www.thenewagejam.co.uk/

Old 23-02-2005, 18:52   #8
I am Band

Thumbs up Re: Paul Weller @ Manchester Apollo

I have just followed up a link from The New Age Jam website for a Clash tribute act called "Clashed". On Sunday 5th of June, they too are playing at Ighten Leigh Social club in Burnley.
Lettie, dig out your steely-boots and shin-pads, you're going to a mosh!

Old 23-02-2005, 20:20   #9

Went to a christmas party at raf sealand december last year appearing that night a singer called gina david terrific act she had previously been on tvs star in your eyes as brenda lee looking through last fridays burnley express I saw she was booked at a club on padiham road burnley could not go myself but I would like to know how she went down there
keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2005, 20:48   #10
God Member

Sparky, you described that gig like a journalist, have you ever considered that? You are right it was a fantastic gig, I had no idea of his talents, I was never a massive fan, like Lettie my feet were killing me, grateful for the bar and for your taxi services! Well worth watching and wouldn't hesitate in buying another ticket
grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2005, 14:10   #11
Senior Member+

Made me feel envious reading these post, so i downloaded a dozen jam songs to listen to.If i close my eyes when listening then i can imagine i too was at the Apollo.lol
Old 27-03-2005, 17:55   #12

Talking Re: Paul Weller @ Manchester Apollo

Paul Weller gig was fantastic - a really good mix from the Jam and Style Council days. Have seen him about 4 times but enjoyed this the most. The only drawback was being sat down and having blokes walk forwards and backwards to the loo in front of us in the Circle. It was great at the end, we were dying to get up dancing and I'm glad to say everybody did!
jwaddington is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..