Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Tech Talk
Donate! Join Today

Tech Talk Modern technology eh? Talk about it here! Please use the seperate forums for gaming or photography talk...

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2022, 10:15   #16
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Re: How safe is your data?

The title is :-How safe is your data?
I'm not sure if discussing the variety of ways you use to log in to your online accounts is 'secure', after all, by describing your method of entry gives the hacker information about which bank(s) you are using in the description, if they have a method of breaking into accounts this information could help make you a target(possibly a long shot but, who knows? I'll stick to my good old fashioned password of abc123 and not tell a living soul).

Doh! I got it wrong again!
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 08-10-2022, 13:31   #17
Beacon of light

I agree it is easier.
The bank supplied a little device that looks like a calculator.(they call it a token)
This is activated by a PIN number (has to be different from my banking PIN)and once the pin is accepted generates a random number.
Only when this number is logged in can any part of the account be accessed.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 13:33   #18
Beacon of light

Less I am sure that hackers know all of the measures that banks use to keep accounts safe.
The data that puts you more at risk is freely available in many places….those details that allow our identities to be stolen, are the simple Name Address and date of birth.

Less I wish you would make your cartoons smaller

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 08-10-2022 at 13:39.
Old 08-10-2022, 16:14   #19
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by margaret pilkington View Post

less i wish you would make your cartoons smaller
w.y.s.i.w.y.g.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 18:23   #20
Beacon of light

Yes….I can see that Less.
Old 16-10-2022, 00:30   #21

Since the hacking of Optus, two more companies have been hacked over here. One is Medibank, which is a private health insurer with 3.7 million customers. The other one is Woolworths MyDeal with about 2.2 million customers. Gives a person a lot of confidence in giving out personal details, I don’t think. In my opinion we are asked to give out more personal information than is absolutely necessary. One thing for sure, there is no guarantee any of it is safe.
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2023, 13:29   #22
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotti34 View Post
Since the hacking of Optus, two more companies have been hacked over here. One is Medibank, which is a private health insurer with 3.7 million customers. The other one is Woolworths MyDeal with about 2.2 million customers. Gives a person a lot of confidence in giving out personal details, I don’t think. In my opinion we are asked to give out more personal information than is absolutely necessary. One thing for sure, there is no guarantee any of it is safe.
personally i would not trust anyone with personal data,
Old 10-10-2023, 11:46   #23
Beacon of light

Cashy the thing is you already do...and you have no option in this..well unless you want to live in a cave and eats seeds and berries...do no banking, buy no services...gas electricity, water, you deal with government departments...DWP etc

All of these will have you on their data base and if you have not ticked the box on your council tax form then the council will have happily sold it
Old 11-10-2023, 12:03   #24

[QUOTE=Margaret Pilkington;1274809]

All of these will have you on their data base and if you have not ticked the box on your council tax form then the council will have happily sold it.

Thanks Marge, I did not know that, I will certainly check it next year, Hopefully I will not be shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted as they say.
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..