Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2008, 21:21   #76
Senior Member+

Re: vs Aldershot

Yes it was flat and the team seemed quite disjointed, but was anyone really surprised? To be fair, we created 3 really good chances and took none of them. How many real saves did Arthur make? Aldershot were cruising it's true, but that's largely because we didn't take our clear chances. You can't blame the manager for a player's inability to be able to cross a ball or to pass to a team mate. The players probably do it all the time in training, but on the pitch on matchday it's up to the players to perform.

I knew we'd struggle to score goals and the writing was on the wall, but calling for the sacking of the management and the return of Miles are just ridiculous. There isn't much to laugh about tonight, but I still managed a chuckle or two.
Old 09-08-2008, 21:23   #77
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
thought they bossed the first 20-25 mins, but nowt to show fer it, to take a striker off n put a muppet on just baffles me, then to wait until near the end (when chasing the game since before half time) before bringing on the Harlem Globe Trotter, just defies logic.
Cashy....I will visit Stanley on the rare occasions I come home....Batting with a long paddle....who the hell is The Harlem Globe Trotter?

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 21:35   #78
Super Moderator

What a total and utter disappointment, especially after we started off so brightly. Flatter than a pint of Southern beer. The only excitement in my particular part of the Clayton End (apart from the arrival of the lovely Liz selling draw tickets) was Cashy discovering that he'd got the Guess The Gate estimate bob on!
Old 09-08-2008, 21:36   #79
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
was Cashy discovering that he'd got the Guess The Gate estimate bob on!

I reckon Cashy hasn't told us he is the club accountant, and knew what the gate would be
Old 09-08-2008, 21:39   #80
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagpuss View Post
What's the point in saying it's only the first game, lets wait and see. Coleman went back to sticking Craney up front and now his love child is fit he will get a game no matter where he plays, Coleman go now. Only thing that did surprise me was that Dunbavin wasn't brought on to replace Mullin but that's his surprise tactic for the next game.
After a nice bottle of red I'm still not feeling much better about today since my last post. What really gets my goat is having to watch the same sterile brand of football which has got us nowhere in this division - ball pumped up to Mullin who wins a good percentage of headers, but so what? The ball mostly goes nowhere useful. Or, it comes low to him and he does a great job of shielding it with back to goal, but their defence has time to deploy while this goes on and there is no flow to the move. It's like watching Groundhog Day.
We need a big STRIKER up front who has pace, who can run the channels and get around the defence or pull defenders out of position to make openings. I don't know if the new guy can do this although he looked the part against Everton youths, but he can't do it sitting on the bench for 80% of the game.
Redraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 21:46   #81
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
Cashy....I will visit Stanley on the rare occasions I come home....Batting with a long paddle....who the hell is The Harlem Globe Trotter?
the new guy roy whose name i can neither pronounce or say, so its a fitting description.
Old 09-08-2008, 23:04   #82
Senior Member+

we played the same game as last year like redraine said just hoof ball up to mullin who is usually getting his shirt tugged and pulled to the ground but the ref just plays on!and see what mullin can do with it! we need to start playing the ball on the ground and build it up pass it around abit push up abit give grant a run down the wing, give clarke a flick on from midfield for him to run round the defence and have a go at the keeper! get the away team running around after the ball! is going to be so hard for away managers to know what are tatics are for this seasonn i dont agree with the get coleman and jimmy out now i am a big fan of them too and is only the first game the team is still getting toghter on the pitch! we will get better this season!

The Harder The Conflict, The More Glorious The Triumph

MCR ADIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 23:04   #83
Junior Member+

david next time i see you at accy cc we will have drink . you no me from hbc when we worker on the parks . and you no me more now all the best from ature mate
hyndburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 07:12   #84

same old stanley , first 10 minutes great then ****** all. why bother bringing a defender on , should have brought miles and that onbuje on sooner .
depechemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 07:16   #85

Clarke was a waste of time
depechemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 07:37   #86

Thumbs down Re: vs Aldershot

Unfortunately i didn't see anything different today from last season,1st 20 mins not too bad but from then on downhill.The team seemed to have no cohesion,the substitutions left me baffled,i know it's the 1st match of the season but i think it's going to be a uphill struggle.teams used to hate coming to stanley but their managements instructions must be soak up pressure till 5 mins before halftime,then hit them with the sucker punch.Thats when we seem to lose the plot,i hope we can sort out these problems or the teams with points deductions will soon be knocking on our back door.

ACCY TILL DIE AND THEN SOME.....
afrikaaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 08:04   #87
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
What a total and utter disappointment, especially after we started off so brightly. Flatter than a pint of Southern beer. The only excitement in my particular part of the Clayton End (apart from the arrival of the lovely Liz selling draw tickets) was Cashy discovering that he'd got the Guess The Gate estimate bob on!
So sorry that the hopes which you were so obviously building up were so soundly dashed Wyn...
BUT...The plus side was... the Midget and Hippopotamus episode !!...for which 'the gate estimate Bob' was well and truly deserved!!...and proves what Alfred.E. is alsways saying..'Them as has it (Cashy!)..gets it!!'

But we'e not 'goin down slow'...YET !.

So.. ON STANLEY ON !!
yonmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 08:11   #88

Only two words to describe today, VERY DISAPOINTED, looks like another long weary season ahead.
Tommy McQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 16:33   #89
Senior Member+

I see Bury have now signed Andy Morrell from Blackpool. He'd have put away our chances yesterday.

It's a great signing for Bury and if they can keep Bishop as well, that's one hell of a strike partnership.
Old 10-08-2008, 18:16   #90
Senior Member+

Hmmm,
reading through the comments I seen it a bit different from alot of you.

The pluses -
the defence was alot better organised despite little or no protection from proctor.

Kenny Authur gave the back 4 confidence.

Booby Grant seems to be improving every game and had the confidence to try and take players on - great to see.

Ian Craney when on the ball can find a pass like nobody else in the team.

Jimmy Ryan while being fresh when he came on, showed some good touches on the ball.

Liam Richardson was very useful going forward.

King looked better than expected considering he is stepping up from the Welsh league.

The negatives -
Paul Mullin, despite his usual effort and winning most of the headers, should have put the one on one away.
I would take it as a one off or a lack of match practise.

Andy Proctor was lost for most of the game, his positional sense was poor and often got dragged out wide leaving a gap in front of the back 2.

Jamie Clarke - ok he is young and is still learning, but 2 things are drastically needed for him to make it at league 2 level.
1. his work rate was poor IMO and over shadowed by paul mullin.
2. he donest play to his strengths. He tried to use his strength which he hasnt got instead of using his pace and work rate to voer come the defence. Only once did he make a decent run across the back 4.
This guy reminds me of Chris McGrail - i think he may be going back to blackburn if those type of performances continue.
I also think he lacks confidence, his body language when he had the ball showed him to be nervous, scared of making a mistake and taking a chance.
The best strikers in the world are all about taking risks.

Tactics - and this is the most dissapointing of all. We had no plan B. The williams up front thing was bizarre. Taking richardson off removed a player wo was getting wide and putting crosses in. In fact, the man who richardson went off for Onibuje ended up going wide!
We dont seem to be able to change our play. It makes it very difficult for us to chase a game.

Williams was out of position so its harsh to judge him, and Onibuje didnt have enough time to make a impact, plus it seemed he was carrying an injury.

Overall im not to dissapointed. Certainly some positives at the back and the potential of Bobby Grant and Onibuje. We really need to pick up some new tactics and initiatives. We never really punished Aldershot.
DAV007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..